CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 08-12-2011, 09:43 AM   #21
David Meverden

Profile:
Re: Why do you like Krav Maga?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Newland View Post
Okay, let me rephrase. I don't feel that I need the SPEAR system.

Kent
I think part of the gulf here is the audience. Tony Blauer might agree that you don't need SPEAR, either. I do not have an in depth understanding of his SPEAR system, but it seems to be aimed at people who have little enough experience in combat/fight situations that they would fail MENTALLY. As a soldier who is a veteran of several martial arts styles this is not you. Which brings me to the main thrust of my post: Given your experience you seem a little puzzled as to why people get so amped about Krav Maga. I think this is because of your perspective and the implied question in the post.

The question was more-or-less: "Why do people think Krav is good?" but I think the implied question is instead "Why do people think Krav is better than what I do?"

By recommending Krav, instead of Kali, combatives courses, etc, the implication is that their program is better than yours.

But "better" is a relative term. Lets get more specific. You've been doing martial arts for 8 years. So, question #1--a question personally important to YOU--is:
1) Is doing Krav for 8 years better than doing a number of pretty practical martial arts over 8 years? Maybe, maybe not. I don't think you would be much or any more formidable in hand to hand combat if you had just done Krav instead of having your background.

but, the emphatic recommendations don't have anything to do with question #1 (because that is specific to YOUR experience), but instead come out of question 2:
2) Is doing Krav for 6 months, or 1 year, better than doing one or more other martial arts for 6 months, or 1 year. I'd say YES, almost certainly. Krav (as I understand it) gets right to the core of the issue. No fancy joint locks that take 2 years to master, there aren't 50 different techniques who's use will be dictated by where the opponents foot is, and there IS striking, sparing, and other drills to MENTALLY prepare a person for violence.

Bottom line is that most people don't have, or don't want, 8 years to study martial arts. They want something that will be effective and implementable as soon as possible. And I think Krav Maga fits the bill pretty damn well.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:54 PM   #22
Kent Newland

Profile:

Quote:
Bottom line is that most people don't have, or don't want, 8 years to study martial arts. They want something that will be effective and implementable as soon as possible. And I think Krav Maga fits the bill pretty damn well.
That is a very interesting perspective. I think it's a combination of this and marketing. Krav Maga is a very recognizable name, and it's billed as fitting this need. I also think that because it comes from a military background, it's seen as more effective than other systems.

I hadn't intended to be quite so specific to my chosen style, but also to other styles/systems that I've checked out. For example, JKD, which gets right to the meat and potatoes of things, or even certain styles of jiu-jitsu.

I'll be the first to admit there is plenty of esoteric material in a lot of Kali systems that is not essential to fighting.

Kent
Old 08-17-2011, 05:41 PM   #23
David Meverden

Profile:

I think it's seen as more effective because it IS more effective than many/most martial arts, especially in the shorter term. It seems like a program that was designed from the ground up to be nothing but effective for real life situations. There was no sport, no aim of mental or emotional development, etc. It was made for soldiers and law enforcement on the streets of Israel--people that need to be ready for knives and guns, in addition to fists and sticks.

Now, in the LONG term, I don't know. But, again, if the moves are so intricate that they aren't very useful for real world situations until you are 5 years in, or if they intentionally hold off teaching the most effective parts until you have shown the discipline and patience necessary for long katas, I don't think I'm that interested. I'm an impatient american, I want results NOW!

As for JKD, I agree that it's philosophy is similar, but it was never standardized enough to be accessible to many people.

And jiu-jitsu can be bad ***, but I've also heard some real bad *** people say that they would NEVER go to the ground in a street or bar fight due to the potential for biting, gouging, or a pocket knife you can't see coming, so a lot of the skills you learn there will probably go to waste if you have a confrontation (I'm not putting a mugger in an arm bar. That's dumb, haha).

So, that's my views. It's mainly a synthesis of what I have read, seen, heard, etc, as I don't have the time or availability to try all these martial arts myself. So take it as you will.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:45 PM   #24
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post

And jiu-jitsu can be bad ***, but I've also heard some real bad *** people say that they would NEVER go to the ground in a street or bar fight due to the potential for biting, gouging, or a pocket knife you can't see coming, so a lot of the skills you learn there will probably go to waste if you have a confrontation (I'm not putting a mugger in an arm bar. That's dumb, haha).
Tell them that BJJ also enables one to get back up when they wind up on the ground against their will.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:26 AM   #25
Sara Ayaz

Profile:

This follows with some of the given answers, but just my two cents as a Krav practitioner:

Practicality. No other system addresses the variety of threats that Krav Maga does.

Principles - instead of teaching you a thousand techniques, Krav instills principles. They create techniques that defend against the greatest variety of attacks, making it quick to learn.

Instinctive - no other system uses movements based on natural instinct the way that Krav does.

Each martial art is the best at what it is designed to do. If a practical fighting system that will defend threats on the street is what you are looking for, Krav is it.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:22 AM   #26
Kent Newland

Profile:

Quote:

Just to clarify, I was speaking of traditional Japanese JiuJitsu, as opposed to GJJ/BJJ, which is all about the groundfighting. This is a much more in depth discussion than I've been able to have anywhere else.

Kent
Old 08-26-2011, 01:18 PM   #27
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent Newland View Post
Just to clarify, I was speaking of traditional Japanese JiuJitsu, as opposed to GJJ/BJJ, which is all about the groundfighting. This is a much more in depth discussion than I've been able to have anywhere else.

Kent
Fair enough. I don't know too much about Japanese JiuJitsu.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:30 PM   #28
Kent Newland

Profile:

Quote:
Fair enough. I don't know too much about Japanese JiuJitsu.
Japanese JiuJitsu has all the groundfighting tactics of BJJ, but also has throws, strikes, and standing grappling moves such as wristlocks and arm wrenches.

I would agree that KM offers in a short period of time what a lot of systems take years to develop, and that is the ability to successfully defend one's self against an attacker.

Incidentally, I found out my squad leader has been doing KM for years, and so I took the opportunity to ask him the same question. He basically said the same thing, that it's quick, simple, and no nonsense, but also he likes KM because the emphasis is on offense, and very little on defense. He said it's always forward motion. So that's something to think about too, I suppose.

Kent
Old 08-31-2011, 05:45 AM   #29
Graeme Moore

Profile:

For the same reason it's good for beginners it's also good for women and littler guys - it trains a trigger response in the practitioner to deliver an instantaneous, overwhelming response to threat of (or actual) violence. The techniques are very fluid and usually targeted at soft spots/mucus membranes which all in all makes it a very difficult system to defend against and an easy system to trust. As with all fighting arts, it pays to put in the practice, however, having also studied muay thai, wing chun and taijiquan, I found KM techniques tend to commit themselves to memory a hell of a lot faster than anything else.

With regards Blauer's PDR, I haven't really bothered to investigate this much as I figured it was just another CQC system. However, the concept of addressing the gap between ambush and fight-readiness really appeals...