CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-09-2014, 08:23 PM   #11
Ryan McGrotty

Profile:
Re: CrossFit bumper plate list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Daggon View Post
I have a full set of the rep fitness Econ bumpers as well as 140kg of their color comp bumpers. After five months they have held up perfectly, there isn't a single sign of wear.

They have been used 6 days a week by three people doing weightlifting and crossfit workouts, dropped from overhead all the time onto stall mats.

Their comp plates are the best price you will find as we'll as having free shipping. They also have military discount.

Edit: I forgot to mention their customer service has been awesome, they have really gone out of their way to make me happy.
Thanks for the kind words Andrew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bell View Post
Don't be fooled by the 'free shipping'. Sure, they ship 'free', but they're still about the same price, or more expensive than buying the Rogue HG plates and paying for the shipping (depending on where you are) for example. The shipping is built into the price, which is why Craig found out above that it's sometimes cheaper to pay the shipping yourself than when it's built in. When I bought a bar and plate package from Rogue, it was cheaper to order a second set of 45's separately than to buy the package that had them built in.
Very true for lots of things. For some reason, it's a psychological thing and part of the reason why Amazon prices things they way they do. As long as the shipping is built in to the price, no one complains about the price. But if it's $100 to ship 300 lbs of plates, people complain and feel that it's not a fair price, even if the total cost is less than it would have been with "free" shipping.

For instance if we priced a 260 lb set at $280 and had people pay for shipping, it might come out to be around $390. But our emails would go through the roof asking if there is any way they can pay less for shipping, why is shipping so much, can I get a discount, I'll buy it if you'll do free shipping like X site, etc... compared to just pricing it at $405 w/free shipping and then it's a simple decision.

We're moving lots of our products over to that free shipping model because of this.

Last edited by Ryan McGrotty : 04-09-2014 at 08:25 PM. Reason: forgot a quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:53 AM   #12
Scott Ford

Profile:

Again Faster is a better bang for your buck than rogue when doing a barbell/bumper plate combo, but with that being said.....

I have to say that I think Rep Fitness has the best package deals right now, because of the combination of the Excalibur bar (which is an extreme upgrade over the Rogue bars) and the thicker 10 lb bumper plates that don't bend when dropped from height. I have been more than happy with my set!
Old 04-10-2014, 08:30 AM   #13
Jason A Smith

Profile:

Here is what we have at home and some of the plates I have used:

At home:

We have a full set of Pendlay Comp bumpers. I like them a lot. No issues with loose inserts and just ordered a few more

I also have/had Hi temps. They are great, they are bouncy though and tended to end up all over the place. They are thick too, which provides it's own problems when loading the bar (it was never much of an issue for me). The only thing that does not get mentioned a lot is that they are a little smaller diameter than a regular plate. This seemed to be my hang up with them. I actually sold my 45#/25# Hi temps (kept the 15/10).

Used the pendlay Econ V2 as well. They are nice plates with dead blow etc. but do not fit on the bar as nicely.

Also used the York plates and in my opinion they are crap, especially the lighter weights and the fit on the bars are terrible.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:59 PM   #14
Jorge Gomez

Profile:

I've been doing my homework on bumper plates for months now lol. I've thought about Vulcan, MDUSA, Rep, Rogue and Fringe Sports.

Here's what I found:
Vulcan - 230lb set (45,35,25,10 pairs)
$355 w/ shipping included

Rep Fitness - 230lb set(45,35,25,10 pairs)
$380 w/ shipping included

Fringe Sports - 250lb set(45,45,25,10 pairs) No 230lb set
$395 w/ shipping included

Rogue - 230lb set(45,35,25,10 pairs)
High temp - $441.50 + $60 for shipping to Grey zone
HG - $394.50 + $60 for shipping to Grey zone.

Muscle Driver USA - 230lb set
$374.99 w/ shipping included

From here it just depends which brand you'd want to go with. Personally, I am torn lol. Now to read up on bars. Between 28 or 28.5 diameter, brands, PSI... How does one choose? All I know is that my box has the worst bars so I am sure anything will be better than those.

Last edited by Jorge Gomez : 04-11-2014 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:02 PM   #15
Chris Diamont

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge Gomez View Post
I've been doing my homework on bumper plates for months now lol. I've thought about Vulcan, MDUSA, Rep, Rogue and Fringe Sports.

Here's what I found:
Vulcan - 230lb set (45,35,25,10 pairs)
$355 w/ shipping included

Rep Fitness - 230lb set(45,35,25,10 pairs)
$380 w/ shipping included

Fringe Sports - 250lb set(45,45,25,10 pairs) No 230lb set
$395 w/ shipping included

Rogue - 230lb set(45,35,25,10 pairs)
High temp - $441.50 + $60 for shipping to Grey zone
HG - $394.50 + $60 for shipping to Grey zone.

Muscle Driver USA - 230lb set
$374.99 w/ shipping included

From here it just depends which brand you'd want to go with. Personally, I am torn lol. Now to read up on bars. Between 28 or 28.5 diameter, brands, PSI... How does one choose? All I know is that my box has the worst bars so I am sure anything will be better than those.

If it helps I just did some digging and saw that Vulcan actually warranties their bumpers (HG) model from 55-25 for 36 months. I have not seen that elsewhere.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:07 PM   #16
Chris Diamont

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Bell View Post
Don't be fooled by the 'free shipping'. Sure, they ship 'free', but they're still about the same price, or more expensive than buying the Rogue HG plates and paying for the shipping (depending on where you are) for example. The shipping is built into the price, which is why Craig found out above that it's sometimes cheaper to pay the shipping yourself than when it's built in. When I bought a bar and plate package from Rogue, it was cheaper to order a second set of 45's separately than to buy the package that had them built in.
You might want to visit the Vulcan website and do a little research. A set of 340# is under $550 with tax included. You cannot piece the same set together plate by plate. I just checked and it is over $100 difference.

Rogue does include shipping in the package price. Vulcan discounts the package. Go look for yourself and put it in the cart and see. Not advocating either place because I have equipment from rogue and vulcan and would buy either one again in a heart beat. Just don't want to clear up the shipping issue.

http://www.vulcanstrength.com/340-lb...ulcrub340e.htm (link WFS)