CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-02-2014, 11:52 PM   #1
Steven Thunander

Profile:
CrossFit bumper plate list

We have done this with barbells, now on to the bumper plates.

Rogue HG plates
Rogue Fitness
Type: Econ plate
Price- Depends on package and shipping area (Free shipping on packages in white area)
Bounce- Dead Blow
Diameter--- Standard IWF
Can get up to 455 on a bar
Note- Can still opt for these on the Bar/bumper packages. Just email customer service.
Made in China

Pendlay V2
MuscleDriver USA
Type: Econ plate
Price-Cheaper in the upper ranges (35-55lb), free shipping
Bounce- Dead blow
Diameter--- Standard IWF
Can get up to 455 on a bar
Note-- The Pendlay V2 and Rogue HG appear to be the same plate with different lettering.
Made in China

Hi temp
Rogue Fitness, Maxwod, Again Faster, Hi-temp, Lynx barbell, Fringe Sport, others
Type- Mid line plate
Price- higher than econ, less than comp plates
Bounce- Extremely
Diameter--- Slightly less than econ plates
Larger plate--- Can only get 405 on a bar without iron
Made in USA
This plate is currently the default in Rogue's Bar/Bumper packages.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:39 PM   #2
Chris Diamont

Profile:
Re: CrossFit bumper plate list

Vulcan also makes an Econ plate that is identical to the Rogue HG's. I have some of both and can't tell the difference unless I look at lettering. They are also made in China. I think it was posted on another thread that everyone pretty much used the same company for econ bumpers out of China. Vulcan plates are pretty cheap to purchase but expensive for shipping unless you live in North Carolina, South Carolina area and you can drive and pick them up for free.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:38 PM   #3
Steven Thunander

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Diamont View Post
Vulcan also makes an Econ plate that is identical to the Rogue HG's. I have some of both and can't tell the difference unless I look at lettering. They are also made in China. I think it was posted on another thread that everyone pretty much used the same company for econ bumpers out of China. Vulcan plates are pretty cheap to purchase but expensive for shipping unless you live in North Carolina, South Carolina area and you can drive and pick them up for free.

For most people, it is cheaper for them to buy the Ohio bar and the Pendlay V2 plates, then it would be to buy the package from Rogue (With HG plates). Now that they include the Hi-Temps in their packages, it may be a better deal.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:44 PM   #4
Chris Diamont

Profile:

Vulcan HG's are about $100 bucks cheaper for 1000# than rogue for the same plate. Vulcan also sells a bar and bumber combo for $719 for the bar and 305#. Not a bad deal. Like I said though shipping is the problem. Unless you live close by and can pick it up.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:55 PM   #5
Peter Keller

Profile:

Great start to the list!

I've mentioned this before- everyone does not buy plates from the same factory in China. There are a few factories in CN that make high quality bumpers, but there is only one that makes the best plates- and it only supplies to a few brands in the US- including our OneFitWonder plates and the Rogue HGs.

Even from the same factory, there are a lot of differences in bumpers- from quality of rubber to consistency, thickness, durability, durometer, exterior diameter, hole diameter, and more.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:18 PM   #6
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Peter, what are you seeing from the factories in China for competition plates? After getting some recently from one of the big name cf suppliers a mere 2-3 months ago, the steel inserts are starting to become loose. I think this is unacceptable compared to the Uesaka I use to train with that were years old, and didnt budge 1mm. Of course they were also nearly 3 times as much too. They have been used for simular work, straight oly lifting on a platform.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:43 PM   #7
Andrew Daggon

Profile:

I have a full set of the rep fitness Econ bumpers as well as 140kg of their color comp bumpers. After five months they have held up perfectly, there isn't a single sign of wear.

They have been used 6 days a week by three people doing weightlifting and crossfit workouts, dropped from overhead all the time onto stall mats.

Their comp plates are the best price you will find as we'll as having free shipping. They also have military discount.

Edit: I forgot to mention their customer service has been awesome, they have really gone out of their way to make me happy.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:42 AM   #8
Craig Horstman

Profile:

just a heads up, for rogue plates, it's actually cheaper to by the plates by the pair (2 55's, 2 45's, 2 35's, 2 25's) than to buy the 320lb package. it has something to do with the shipping but i'm not sure what. and if you ask them about it, they won't really give you a straight answer.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:56 AM   #9
Chris Diamont

Profile:

Vulcan actually emailed me today to inform me that their bumper plates have free shipping! And the thickness is less than standard HG plates. I did not know this as I have old Vulcan plates and the newer plates have a smaller thickness which would be good when it comes to deadlift. Not for me, but for some!
Old 04-09-2014, 12:54 PM   #10
Matt Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Diamont View Post
Vulcan actually emailed me today to inform me that their bumper plates have free shipping! And the thickness is less than standard HG plates. I did not know this as I have old Vulcan plates and the newer plates have a smaller thickness which would be good when it comes to deadlift. Not for me, but for some!
Don't be fooled by the 'free shipping'. Sure, they ship 'free', but they're still about the same price, or more expensive than buying the Rogue HG plates and paying for the shipping (depending on where you are) for example. The shipping is built into the price, which is why Craig found out above that it's sometimes cheaper to pay the shipping yourself than when it's built in. When I bought a bar and plate package from Rogue, it was cheaper to order a second set of 45's separately than to buy the package that had them built in.

Last edited by Matt Bell : 04-09-2014 at 01:11 PM.