CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 11-04-2010, 11:10 AM   #1
Jen Mottau

Profile:
a month into things..weightloss?

I'm about a month into crossfit and i definitely love it! I deadlifted 230lbs this week and i seem to be getting better at everything (slowly) but I was just wondering.. I feel like I'm working my butttt off everyday but I dont really notice any weightloss. I dont have a scale because I used to obsess over the number and I dont wanna get back into that habit, but now I have a lot of weight to lose and I'm not sure if it should be taking this long to make some progress with that! any thoughts?
Old 11-04-2010, 11:21 AM   #2
Rebecca Roth

Profile:
Re: a month into things..weightloss?

Eh, don't worry about it. Pay attention to your strength/stamina gains (230 dl is awesome btw!), and I would bet you will start noticing body composition changes within the next 2-3 weeks. Have you thought about measuring? Might be an ok option unless you think it will just replace your weighin obsession.

Welcome!
Old 11-04-2010, 12:07 PM   #3
Shannon Mullens

Profile:

I would say a couple of things.

1) If you haven't hit up the Girl Power thread in the community section, you should.

2) Welcome to Crossfit!

3) I'm with Rebecca on this - measuring is much better. You're likely dropping fat and adding muscle. But as far as gaining strength and losing weight, generally those results are incompatible, except right at the newbie section and depending on body type and a lot of other things.

Most of all, don't stress, have fun, and see where you're going. Some people see amazing, phenomenal results in a month - others make gains (and losses) more slowly.

Are you feeling better? Do you see gains in performance? Are you lifting more? (230lb deadlift IS awesome!) Watch those things as you get to what is healthy for you.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:25 PM   #4
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen Mottau View Post
I'm about a month into crossfit and i definitely love it! I deadlifted 230lbs this week and i seem to be getting better at everything (slowly) but I was just wondering.. I feel like I'm working my butttt off everyday but I dont really notice any weightloss. I dont have a scale because I used to obsess over the number and I dont wanna get back into that habit, but now I have a lot of weight to lose and I'm not sure if it should be taking this long to make some progress with that! any thoughts?
Are you dieting? Going to the gym is the easy part.

I assume you are, you just didn't mention it. You can wod until you turn blue, if you ain't eating right, you're not gonna change bf much.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:51 PM   #5
Geoff Sallee

Profile:

It's all about what you put in your mouth. I've been doing CF for almost 3 years, and if I don't watch what I eat I will maintain or gain very easily, just as when I go strict Paleo I lose weight almost without effort, even without CF.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:37 PM   #6
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen Mottau View Post
I dont have a scale because I used to obsess over the number and I dont wanna get back into that habit, but now I have a lot of weight to lose and I'm not sure if it should be taking this long to make some progress with that! any thoughts?
Change your perspective. You don't have weight to lose. You have fat to lose.

If you were to lose ten pounds of fat in the next month and gain ten pounds of muscle, would you be okay with that? Assuming yes, then take your eye off of your weight and put it instead on your performance in the gym, how your clothes fit, and (as Rebecca suggested) your physical measurements (waist, arms, thighs, etc....)

And, yeah, you're wasting your time if you aren't coupling your workout routine with an excellent diet.

- Mark
Old 11-10-2010, 01:37 PM   #7
Liz Wolfe

Profile:

I feel for you. For awhile I was noticing strength gains but no body comp shifts. Then I started eating clean, but all veggies and protein (I was still a little fat-phobic). Then I tried (approximately) the following for 2 weeks and boy, buddy. I was getting positive feedback left & right.

Breakfast: Eggs (Omega 3 eggs from Trader Joe's or pastured) scrambled up in lots of coconut oil with a handful of mixed veggies. BACON. I ate slowly, so I could register my satiety, so I got a good idea of how many eggs to make after a day or two.

Lunch: 1/2 lb. of grass-fed gound beef, with chunks of sweet potato and 1/2 avocado

Dinner: Veggies drenched in grass-fed Ghee with chicken or steak OR a huge "man salad" with steak, bacon, hard boiled egg, olive oil and balsamic, zucchini and carrot.

Snacks for me are always Paleo Kits - I'm biased since I work out at Crossfit Tribe/Steve's Club and am the nutrition advisor for Steve's Original But I fell in love with Paleo Kits long before I started that gig.

Liz
Old 11-17-2010, 06:14 PM   #8
Larry Hotchkiss

Profile:

If your new to lifting or returning from a long layoff expect muscle gains to outpace fat loss, especially if your not cleaning up your diet. This is my 5th month in crossfit and I have not lost any weight, as a matter of fact I am 5lbs heavier than when I started.

However..... i have had significant body compositional changes. One 6 week period revieled a 5lb fat loss and 5lb muscle gain for a net wash on the scale. I cleaned up my diet AND added a lot more food since starting CF and the fat is still comming off even though I am eating more calories.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:57 PM   #9
Gillian Steele

Profile:

I am the same, I have fair bit of fat to lose, I used to be obseessive about weight myself everyday sometimes twice a day!

But my coach and few friends have got me out of that habit, and have advised that I base results of clothing and also my times in my WODs, in particular they tend to say base it off my FRAN time!

But good luck with your journey and hopefully all your efforts will start paying off soon!
Old 11-20-2010, 05:52 PM   #10
Brian Strump

Profile:

We have women often ask us the same questions after a few weeks. A few things to consider;

+1 to the nutrition. If you think you can go from what you were doing prior(if anything) and start something like CF, and not start eating more that could be a good reason for lack of changes. Also, the quality of the food choices too.

-Never underestimate the importance of sleep! 8 hours is great, I wouldn't get less than 6 and not expect your gains to suffer some.

-I know this is a hard one, at least for many females trying to see the scale go down. Consider the gains in other areas of your life from CF. Confidence, strength, inc. sense of accomplishment, etc.