CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 03-07-2014, 12:39 PM   #1
Bob Herald

Profile:
Liver value above range

Let me first say that I have seen a doctor and I am not trying to self diagnose lol.

I went in for blood for last week and everything was fine except my liver enzyme value (AST I think) was slightly elevated. 52 (on a scale with 44 being the high end). The doc raised his eyebrow and asked if I drink alcohol. I said that one night a week I have 3-5 beers (IPAs and such) which is the truth. He then told me to back off on the alcohol.

I'm 36 never had any medical problems, and never been a drug user or alcohol abuser.

Now an internet search revealed to me that liver enzymes can be elevated in weightlifters...

Anyhow he told me not to worry about it but said to cut back on my weekly beers. Is he trying to suck the fun out of my life!?

Any knowledge in this?
Old 03-07-2014, 05:09 PM   #2
Frank E Morel

Profile:
Re: Liver value above range

What do you think? If your sucking down beers weekly( and most ppl are less than truth on their alcohol consumption,) then go for lab work, Yeah your liver is going to show high enzymes.

Question is how high was the level ?
Old 03-07-2014, 06:53 PM   #3
Scott Siegel

Profile:

From what you are saying your levels or only mildly elevated. Any provider will likely tell you to back off or abstain from alcohol for a period of time and then re-test the labs to see if that is contributing to the elevation. However, there are numerous things that can cause mildly elevated liver enzymes.

Depending on how you wanna go about this. You can get re-tested in another 4-8 weeks without changing your diet/alcohol intake, see if it was a random result. If they are still elevated, then give it a try with abstaining from alcohol for a period of time. If they are still elevated at that time, then it's time to get your liver looked at with imaging (ultrasound, CT, MRI - likely ultrasound first). In addition, other blood work will need to be tested to see if something else is going on.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:02 PM   #4
Janet Lee

Profile:

Alcohol consumption has been linked to liver enzymes and hypertension. It is an easy thing for the doctor to ask you to change before considering running other tests.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:42 PM   #5
Joe Novak

Profile:

Do you take any NSAID's? Tylenol (acetominophin) et. al, incuding many drugs that contain acetominophin in addition to something else like a narcotic, can elevate liver enzymes as well. Something to think of. Its easy for a sore athlete to take a couple of tylenol or advil, (even one more than the recommended dose) and elevate those enzymes.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:11 PM   #6
Bob Herald

Profile:

My values were slightly elevated. 52 on a scale up to 44. People with lover problems due to alcohol will register 200,300 or greater. All my other vitals are perfect as well as my labs. As I said I REALLY only drink tops 5 beers a week.

A quick internet search revealed that AST is only a snapshot of the levels when the blood was drawn and it can be elevated well past my levels for 36 hours after weight training and dehydration also causes elevation.

I'm set to be tested again in 3 weeks and I will back off on the alcohol until then and I'll also ale sure not to lift weights for a few days before . As hard as that will be.

I'm pretty sure past blood test I had, I had deadlifted the day before lol
Old 03-14-2014, 01:45 PM   #7
Frank Fusco

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Herald View Post
My values were slightly elevated. 52 on a scale up to 44. People with lover problems due to alcohol will register 200,300 or greater. All my other vitals are perfect as well as my labs. As I said I REALLY only drink tops 5 beers a week.

A quick internet search revealed that AST is only a snapshot of the levels when the blood was drawn and it can be elevated well past my levels for 36 hours after weight training and dehydration also causes elevation.

I'm set to be tested again in 3 weeks and I will back off on the alcohol until then and I'll also ale sure not to lift weights for a few days before . As hard as that will be.

I'm pretty sure past blood test I had, I had deadlifted the day before lol
I would only change one thing when you get retested. If you back off the alcohol and don't lift weights and possibly change other things, your levels might be normal. But unless you are willing to maintain all those changes as a permanent lifestyle (no beer and deads! say it ain't so!) then what is the point? You won't know whether it was one or a combination of the changes that made the difference.

I would lay off just one thing at a time. Say no alcohol but lift heavy the day before. If your enzymes are lower and in a normal range, then that is a good sign that the alcohol is playing a factor. But if your enzymes are still elevated, you know that the beers aren't to blame and eliminating them is not necessary. This would be good and bad news. Good in that you can go back to your 3-5 beers a week. Bad in that you still don't know what the problem is. Perhaps then you get tested again without weight lifting.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:14 AM   #8
Bob Herald

Profile:

Good advice. Maybe there isn't a problem. Doctors are used to testing liver values for older sedentary people. In other words, maybe every crossfiter here (based on weightlifting lifestyle) would have elevated enzymes!?
Old 03-19-2014, 10:57 AM   #9
Gonzalo Fernandez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Herald View Post
Good advice. Maybe there isn't a problem. Doctors are used to testing liver values for older sedentary people. In other words, maybe every crossfiter here (based on weightlifting lifestyle) would have elevated enzymes!?
No, they would not. Sorry.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:47 AM   #10
Bob Herald

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzalo Fernandez View Post
No, they would not. Sorry.
Oh, are you a doctor?

Medical journals disagree with you.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2291230/