CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:39 PM   #21
Terry Bruce

Profile:
Re: Level 1 Testing and Certification...extra $1000 every 5 years?

Yeah but you get to meet the people you see on TV from the games and the CrossFit chicks are hot too!!!!
Old 09-13-2010, 08:35 PM   #22
Damon Stewart

Profile:

I attended my first Level I cert in 2007 and then again last year. I'll be going to another one in the 2011. The teaching progressions have gotten better, I always learn new cues, and it's good to review and learn from the best. There's a strong behind the scenes commitment from Nicole to making sure that the trainers deliver excellence each and every time and constantly improve the experience people have at the certs.

The complaints about things like this always strike me as such a joke. 1K every 5 years? If that's a lot of money to you after you've trained people for 5 years you're an economic failure as a trainer. Most of the folks I know who have been affiliated for longer than 3 years regularly attend specialty certs, have their Level 2, and intern or attend L1's more than once. How about a franchise fee? I doubt you could sell Kirby vacuums for 2200/year.

There's virtually no profession that doesn't require some form of ongoing education.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:26 AM   #23
Stu Christensen

Profile:

I personally think the re-testing is a good idea.

HOWEVER, I also feel that this is simply a money grab by HQ. Chalk it up to another thing HQ has done for itself that they can get away with saying "its for the community".

PFFFT.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:32 PM   #24
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

I wouldn't have a problem with additional costs if they were agreed upon at the beginning. Requiring trainers to stay current and continue learning is one thing; changing the agreement of what a Level 1 cert means after the fact is another.

If I bought a car and paid it off, it wouldn't be ok for the dealer to contact me 3 years later and say I should give him an extra $1000 out of gratitude for the car continuing to run even after I'd paid it off.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:09 PM   #25
Jamie Gowens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
I wouldn't have a problem with additional costs if they were agreed upon at the beginning. Requiring trainers to stay current and continue learning is one thing; changing the agreement of what a Level 1 cert means after the fact is another.

If I bought a car and paid it off, it wouldn't be ok for the dealer to contact me 3 years later and say I should give him an extra $1000 out of gratitude for the car continuing to run even after I'd paid it off.
This is where I have a problem. The idea of continuing education is something I'm responsible for as an affiliate owner no matter what, and I'm fine with that. But the idea that I agreed to xyz and now I'm being told abc is something akin to bull**** in my mind.

That's just me, I love what I do, but I get irritated with constantly changing rules.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:45 PM   #26
Lisbeth Darsh

Profile:

Reality check on prices: http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/certs.shtml (WFS) (Try $500.)

Here's the deal. CrossFit grew up, blew up, and we're riding the crest of a huge wave that is rocking the fitness industry. We learn, we change, we improve. Becoming accredited is a HUGE step in the right direction, and comes as the result of a ton of hard work by the Cert Team, in particular Nicole Carroll. (Thank you, Nicole!)

Complaining that we changed the rules (by improving the product) seems a bit disingenuous to me. Once you learn the air squat in my affiliate, we give you a PVC pipe and start teaching you front squats and overhead squats. Learn that and we give you an unweighted bar. Learn that and we put more weight on the bar. And you get better and stronger.

Continuing education is the same process. Grow or die. One thing I've learned in this life -- if I think I know it all, then I most certainly don't. I've been to more Level Ones than I can count and I learn something every time. I welcome continuing ed, because it means I'm learning -- and so are my peers. That's good for all of us.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:51 PM   #27
Rene Forestier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post

Frankly, when I did my Level 1 in '06 I assumed I would be required to recert in one way or another.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:57 PM   #28
Skip Chase

Profile:

$1000 is a bargain for a 5 year cert. $500 is a steal.
I had to renew my previously held certs every year at a cost of 3-$500.

I agree with Lisbeth. I've been to 10+ certs since 2005 and I learned something new each time.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:24 PM   #29
John D. Burch

Profile:

Cost of business guys...
Old 09-14-2010, 10:34 PM   #30
Kris Murphy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen Schreiber View Post
As someone who just took the test, after having done the cert last year... honestly, I think it is RIDICULOUS that anyone with a level 1 cert can open a box and call themselves a trainer.

I love CrossFit.. am addicted, have no desire to leave the fold, am really a die hard tried and true CrossFitter.

But I always thought that was beyond ludicrous. I'm glad I have very skilled and experienced coaches around me. And I think strongly that here is a need for continuing ed.

It is refreshing to hear that from someone who just completed their Lvl 1. It is disturbing how many people think that a 2 day "seminar" prepares them to take the health and well being of others into their own hands. For the average, healthy client that may be fine. But when you have clients with medical conditions, whether they are genetic, spinal, auto immune, whatever, it takes a lot more than 16 hours sitting in a folding chair and taking a test to get them prepared to lead these people to health and fitness.

Every "accredited" profession in this country is required to renew their "licences" at some interval. Some require retests, some don't. Why should a CrossFit trainer be any different? What we do needs to be more than teaching movements and running a stopwatch.