CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:24 PM   #11
Laurie Carver

Profile:
Re: Does that CrossFit make women big?

Katherine you make very good points. None of these women want to look like Kate Moss. They want to be fit and strong. But, they don't want to look bulky. Through my discussions with them, they realize they will be putting on muscle and that dialing in the diet is super important. But, even with that said the average woman (depending on genetics and body type) will start to look a little bulky. Especially in the shoulders and back.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:26 PM   #12
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Laurie,

What ever you are doing, it's working.
Old 05-14-2009, 05:53 PM   #13
Rolf Whitney

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
Laurie,

What ever you are doing, it's working.
Yeah, what he said.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:12 PM   #14
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie Carver View Post
Katherine you make very good points. None of these women want to look like Kate Moss. They want to be fit and strong. But, they don't want to look bulky. Through my discussions with them, they realize they will be putting on muscle and that dialing in the diet is super important. But, even with that said the average woman (depending on genetics and body type) will start to look a little bulky. Especially in the shoulders and back.
I definitely understand what you're saying. "Typical Crossfitters" definitely have much more visible muscle. As do most other female athletes.

Now, I would argue that that's because we're all conditioned to a "norm" that's inherently unhealthy, but that doesn't help you give your clients what they want. It's a tough problem.

Katherine
Old 05-14-2009, 06:32 PM   #15
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

CrossFit without ME isn't CrossFit. Somebody has to say it.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:38 PM   #16
Jason David

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post
CrossFit without ME isn't CrossFit. Somebody has to say it.
Agreed. 'CrossFit Lite' is not CrossFit.

Laurie,
I'm sorry but I need a pic or somebody else to chime in and say. 'I got too bulky with CrossFit and am unhappy about it". Until I meet this imaginary person I'm done...

I also know what you said in your original post and am a bit confused by that as well. You should be using that as a selling point if that's you in your avatar.

*Re-reading your original post again "That CrossFit"??

You're a CrossFit trainer??? I'm assuming not with an affiliate.

I got a bad feeling about this thread...I'm outta here. Good luck with your somewhat varied, functional?, low intensity training program.

Last edited by Jason David : 05-14-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:06 PM   #17
Sydney Everhart

Profile:

Sorry, I'm going to agree that CF lite wouldn't be CF. This is about performance, not appearance.

Clearly their idea of fitness is the girl in a Shape magazine using 5lb weights...
and I think the clients would be happier if they had performance driven goals rather than appearance driven goals (which may only be qualitative and unattainable -- ie. looking like the girl in the Shape magazine). Looks fade...
Old 05-14-2009, 07:36 PM   #18
Kelley Rakow

Profile:

Laurie-
My experience as a CF Trainer and Affiliate owner for almost three years is that not one of the 180+ women we have trained has gotten bigger and stayed bigger. I have seen a couple women get bigger as the body begins its transformation. However, bigger is temporary. Usually lean mass increases first. Shortly thereafter, a layer of fat melts off the top of the newly acquired lean mass. As soon as that happens, the women are thrilled. For the clients that incorporate a zone/paleo approach to nutrition, the results come quickly and without fail. For those that do not make dietary changes, the process takes longer.

For those women that experience muscle growth aka "get bigger," it's important to help them through this process. There will be doubt on their part that you know what you are doing. They may choose not to come on the weightlifting days becasue they are sure the bars and plates will make them "big." As we all know, the last thing women want is for their legs or butt to look any bigger. Therefore, we make it a point to assure our clients that patience is a virtue as far as body composition change is concerned. We educate our clients about how muscle growth typically occurs before the fat melts off. Additionally, we educate people about the importance of the weightlifting component. Not doing the lifts for fear of getting bigger is not an option. CrossFit programming done correctly keeps the furnace burning and the bulk at minimum.

I tell all our CrossFitters to be their own guinea pig. Try it. Track the results. Evaluate. Make necessary changes. Be open to new ideas and possibilities. Most of all, be patient and trust the process.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:15 PM   #19
Laurie Carver

Profile:

Kelly..thank you so much for your response. That's they way I experienced it myself. I don't have anything to complain about although I personally have put on size in the butt and legs doing CrossFit for 2 years and following Paleo/Zone.
I've just recently added an Endurance WOD 2 x week. I think patience is the answer for my clients as well as diet, but I wanted some additional input and really appreciate it. At times I've questioned things...thinking that the hormonal response could have something to do with it...or the rep range of 12-15 etc...Logically I know, but I'm dealing with a mix of clients and sometimes it takes a lot of patience to help them wrap their mind around the CrossFit program. They don't want to look like "Shape" magazine, and they are empowered by getting strong. I don't feel there is anything wrong with wanting to be fit, strong and look a certain way aesthetically too.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:41 PM   #20
Becca Borawski

Profile:

Clients will come to CrossFit for all different reasons. Not everyone is there for peak performance as their number one motivation. Not every student wants to be amongst the top ones listed on the leaderboard, and not every student CAN be up there.

Some people want to lose weight, some people want to get better at their sport, some want to gain muscle. There are ways to help guide them all through the workouts to support their goals, ease them into understand what weight lifting can do for them, and still have it be CrossFit.

For sure over the last 4 years my lats have gotten bigger and my arms have gotten bigger. My waist has gotten smaller! But despite my arms being "bigger," it is a very rare day when I wear a tank top that I don't have women complimenting me everywhere I go.

I think for a lot of women it becomes a conflict of wanting to be toned, but resisting that number on the scale. They're not willing to compromise that number even though it may mean lower body fat and a look to their body that they want because they've got some magic number stuck in their head about what they're "supposed" to weigh.

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com