CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 03-18-2009, 01:10 PM   #11
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: The Economics of Membership Pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Chase View Post
We don't suggest they 'abandon' anything. You want to be serious and become an elite athlete, you must develop the attitude, commitment and work ethic.
There are plenty of serious recreational athletes who are not elite, and who are not interested in putting in the work required to become elite. Rather, they are balancing their primary sport, their job, their personal life, and Crossfit. Given that there are only 24 hours in a day, something's got to give. Are you saying that you are unable/unwilling to help those people?

It's your affiliate. Run it however you like. But realize that successful, self-motivated adults aren't particularly interested in lectures about their work ethic. Especially from someone they've just met.

Katherine
Old 03-18-2009, 02:00 PM   #12
Gabriel desGarennes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Walls View Post
I would actually be very interested in anything you have to say, even if it is a huge negative about affiliates. PM or email me please. I am now curious. heh
no no Chris, i work at an affiliate and plan to open one of my own eventually. It was quite the opposite.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:06 PM   #13
Tom Seryak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
You're not interested in working with athletes? Because no serious athlete is going to abandon his sport in favor of CrossFit, or sign up with a gym that suggests he do so.
Katherine, this seemed to come out of left field to me. I didn't even mention athletes. Are you or were you a sport athlete? I was and am a sport athlete and my experience has shown that spending more time on GPP (Crossfit) and yes, less time on SST is actually more effective. Isn't this part of the concept of Crossfit? Crossfit is your training, your sport is a supplement. You don't have to agree with it, as long as you don't mind getting beat by a Crossfit athlete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
There are plenty of serious recreational athletes who are not elite, and who are not interested in putting in the work required to become elite. Rather, they are balancing their primary sport, their job, their personal life, and CrossFit. Given that there are only 24 hours in a day, something's got to give. Are you saying that you are unable/unwilling to help those people?
We are willing to help anyone, but I don't think that a potential client would sign on if they didn't agree with our philosophy and methodology. Ours is that Crossfit is your training program and anything else that you do is a supplement. We have clients that seem to fit your mold, and yes, they went out on a limb by taking on a new philosophy towards their fitness. They are now reaping the rewards.

Quote:
It's your affiliate. Run it however you like. But realize that successful, self-motivated adults aren't particularly interested in lectures about their work ethic. Especially from someone they've just met.
I have no doubt that you have a strong work ethic, it sounds like you are very busy. This doesn't need to turn into an ego thing...who's right? who's wrong? if what you do works for you great!

Last edited by Tom Seryak : 03-18-2009 at 02:07 PM. Reason: messed up on quotes
Old 03-18-2009, 02:12 PM   #14
Chris Walls

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel desGarennes View Post
no no Chris, i work at an affiliate and plan to open one of my own eventually. It was quite the opposite.
OIC.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:14 PM   #15
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Since you're 2000 miles away, the chances of my joining your affiliate are remote, Tom. FWIW, I'm trying not to get my ego involved in any of this. I don't run an affiliate, don't plan to open one, and am happy with the affiliate where I currently train. My comments on this board are from the perspective of a potential customer, responding to attitudes that might cause me to join or avoid a particular affiliate. I hope they're taken in the helpful spirit in which they're intended.

My concern is that I see some affiliate owners taking a "my way or the highway" attitude. You WILL do the group WOD. You WILL treat CrossFit as your primary activity. Etc. As a potential customer, that seriously rubs me the wrong way. It's my life and my training, and I'm willing to live with the consequences of my decisions, however misguided you may think those decisions are.

I'll also admit that I haven't completely bought into the idea that CrossFit should come first and my sport should come second. Perhaps that's because my own sport, aikido, has an enormous skill component. The time that I've spent developing those skills allows me to toss around less skilled people who are bigger, stronger, and "fitter" pretty much at will. I've added CrossFit because I've gotten sufficiently good at aikido that I'm mostly working on pretty subtle things, and so it no longer provides as much of a physical workout as I'd like. While I don't doubt that improved GPP will help my aikido, better aikido isn't the reason why I want improved GPP. Nor is my further progress in aikido GPP-limited, as far as I can tell. Since most CrossFit trainers don't know as much about aikido as I do, I'm not convinced that their "how to get better at aikido" ideas are better than mine, much less my aikido teacher's. Hence pushback against the suggestion that I should sacrifice mat time in order to do more CrossFit.

Katherine
Old 03-18-2009, 03:40 PM   #16
Matthew Govea

Profile:

I think we're getting caught up in wording here. CrossFit should be your primary strength and conditioning program. Your sport, whatever that may be, should be done because you enjoy it. The two go hand in hand. I can't imagine many affiliates stressing it one way or another.

Last edited by Matthew Govea : 03-18-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:47 PM   #17
Gabriel desGarennes

Profile:

katheryne what affiliate do you go to and what aikido studio?
Old 03-18-2009, 03:56 PM   #18
Damien Del Russo

Profile:

I didn't anticipate an argument over the very existence of a market for capped weekly visits. Certainly there is a market, as proven by Katherine and me. Whether this market is worth addressing is an open question and probably varies by affiliate.

Without personal experience as an affiliate I can only speculate: I think that flourishing affiliates can afford to be less accommodating/more selective. Affiliates that are trying to grow would likely profit by broadening their appeal.

After starting this thread I have found that some affiliates offer these plans - indeed we have an example above voicing dissatisfaction. Hopefully more affiliates will share their thoughts and experiences.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:30 PM   #19
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel desGarennes View Post
katheryne what affiliate do you go to and what aikido studio?
My aikido dojo is Aikido Eastside, in Bellevue. My Crossfit gym is Local's Gym, in Lynnwood. I can emphatically recommend both.

(Yes, I know that Crossfit Bellevue is right next door to Aikido Eastside. But Local's is closer to me.)

Katherine
Old 03-18-2009, 04:37 PM   #20
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien Del Russo View Post
Without personal experience as an affiliate I can only speculate: I think that flourishing affiliates can afford to be less accommodating/more selective. Affiliates that are trying to grow would likely profit by broadening their appeal.
Also, "flourishing" depends on the affiliate's goals. You can train in your garage and carefully limit your clients to only people who think as you do. Or you can rent an enormous space and throw open the doors to everyone. (Taken to an extreme, this is the globo model.) Either can work.

Katherine