CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 05-26-2008, 05:55 AM   #11
Joe Waguespack

Profile:
Re: How Does Anyone Afford CF?

It's still amazing to me that someone will walk into some commercial gyms and pay a couple of hundred , I've seen up to $500.00, for a "sign up fee" and then pay $50-$100 a month without question. Most do not even ask what this sign up fee is for they just assume it must be legit because the guy is sitting behind a desk with a nice embroidered polo shirt on. These same people will want to negotiate with me on my price, which is quite low in comparison to many affiliates. When I first opened I was worried about the price, then after putting in 15 hour days by myself and giving everyone that walks in the door the same amount of energy and attention I realized that I should be charging MORE, not less. Everyone wants to gripe about the condition of the country and how big corporations are destroying the small businesses and things like that. But no one is willing to drive past Lowes and go to "Pop's Hardware" anymore. It's the same things with gyms. Bottom line is you get what you pay for, personal attention, coaching, pre -programmed workouts (all you have to do is show up), motivation, unique equipment, and most of all a supportive environment of like minded individuals all committed to suffering along side you.

I've had several people thank me for opening , one's told me that he hasn't touched a drop of alcohol since starting at my place, others have told me how much there lives have changed since training at my place, and I've only been open two months!! I've had professional fighters say it's the best thing they have ever done to prepare for a fight. These things mean something to me, and keep me hopping out of bed every morning at 4:30am without question, do you think they hear that or even care to hear that at the globos? This is not just a CF thing, it goes WAY beyond CF, it's about providing a place for those that are looking for more than just fitness, it's about providing a place for those who desire a place of their own that they can feel a part of. You don't find that just anywhere. My gym has quickly gotten to where the members won't let me shut down, I've already had several jokes about what they will do to get the money to keep me open. Thats what I want, people feel like such a part of my place that they have made it their own.

You are not just paying for the training , you are paying for the heart of the place and everything that goes with that. And if the affiliate you are at has no heart , THEN you are getting ripped off.

"Punish the body to perfect the soul"-Mark Twight
Old 05-26-2008, 06:10 AM   #12
Emily Mattes

Profile:

Clint, I've been in your position too. Crossfit boasts that it is a bare-bones program, one that can be run with minimal or cheap equipment out of your garage. If that's the case, then why is a membership to an affiliate gym twice the cost or more of memberships to a globo gym? I don't think that's a crazy question to raise, though it seems to be a pretty touchy one around here.

Well, the argument I've heard is that with a globo gym, you can go in and use the equipment at your convenience. Personal training is an option that you pay extra for. But that is not how affiliate gyms work--as far as I know, with most Crossfit affiliates, you can't work out at the Crossfit gym on your own. You come in at a prescribed workout time and do the workout with a bunch of people under the supervision of a personal trainer. So really, you're paying for personal training sessions.

Me, I think it would be great if affiliates provided an amalgam of the globo gym method--you could come to the daily workouts or you could just go in when you wanted and use the equipment on your own. But I guess that's not the Crossfit affiliate model, or something.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:02 AM   #13
Joe Waguespack

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Mattes View Post
Clint, I've been in your position too. Crossfit boasts that it is a bare-bones program, one that can be run with minimal or cheap equipment out of your garage. If that's the case, then why is a membership to an affiliate gym twice the cost or more of memberships to a globo gym? I don't think that's a crazy question to raise, though it seems to be a pretty touchy one around here.

Well, the argument I've heard is that with a globo gym, you can go in and use the equipment at your convenience. Personal training is an option that you pay extra for. But that is not how affiliate gyms work--as far as I know, with most Crossfit affiliates, you can't work out at the Crossfit gym on your own. You come in at a prescribed workout time and do the workout with a bunch of people under the supervision of a personal trainer. So really, you're paying for personal training sessions.

Me, I think it would be great if affiliates provided an amalgam of the globo gym method--you could come to the daily workouts or you could just go in when you wanted and use the equipment on your own. But I guess that's not the Crossfit affiliate model, or something.
Emily, I hear what you are saying and have thought about that before. It would make my life much easier if I had an "open gym" type of atmosphere. MOst of the people that come though really want that attention and love the fact that I'm there pushing them and coming up with daily workouts for them. I don't really follow any sort of CF model by any means, if anything I go out of my way to NOT follow any sort of model. I kind of felt things out from the beginning and basically created a place that I wanted to train at and figured that the people who joined would be looking for the same things. I'm very up front with people and let them know what my place is all about, some are turned off and some can't wait to get started and don't want to leave when they are finished.LOL

I think the main reason some affiliates get a little touchy on this subject is because no one goes into a Gold's and negotiates the price, no one goes to the grocery and tries to get a cheaper price on food or even questions it. But for some reason when they go to a small business owner or a guy who provides a personal service they want to question the price. I guess it makes some of us feel like we are not being taken as seriously as the bigger businesses simply because we don't have the multi millions backing us the way they do. I'm not in this for the money, I know I will never get rich doing this, I plan on keeping my place small and personal because thats the way I want it and thats what I see my clients want as well. I'm just trying to make a decent living doing things my way and hopefully providing a service that people appreciate for a long time to come.

"Punish the body to perfect the soul"-Mark Twight
Old 05-26-2008, 07:41 AM   #14
Stephen Baker

Profile:

The day one of my members decides to pay all my bills, my salary (which is non-existant), my mortgage, purchase my bumpers, bars, stands, rowers, pu bars, flooring, kettle bells, oly platforms, dmax balls, ghd's, etc.., I will provide my service to everyone else for free. That's a promise.

Oh wait... My members do pay these things... one month at a time. Businesses pass their costs on to the customers. Period.

BTW, most of us provide a discount for military, LE, fire, emt. This is a cerntral tenant to our business model.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:42 AM   #15
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I really wish the affiliate near me had an open gym as well as the classes. I don't always work out at the same time of day, and some days, due to the other pressures of life, I just don't have the energy to lift. In addition, right now I'm doing the Performance menu WOD, not CF. Metcon really isn't an issue with me right now, but strength and explosivness is. I can't go in there and just do O-lifts, I have to do what they are doing.

I'm not *****ing, ,I'm just saying why I'm not going there. Hopefully, as affiliates & CF grow and and mature, it will get to a point where theres an open gym plus a SS class, an endurance class, an O-Lift, a CF class, a fight prep class, etc. based on what the members want or need.

Something along the line of this
http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=32074
Old 05-26-2008, 07:51 AM   #16
Brent Lucas

Profile:

1 - I have yet to see an affiliate driving a Porsche

2 - Most folks in Sheepdog lines of work get discounts

3 - It's not what you pay, it what value you get for the money. I get more value per $ spent at Crossfit than at any Globo I have ever been to.

WAY more.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:13 AM   #17
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Waguespack View Post
When I first opened I was worried about the price, then after putting in 15 hour days by myself and giving everyone that walks in the door the same amount of energy and attention I realized that I should be charging MORE, not less.
That's what's up!
Old 05-26-2008, 08:16 AM   #18
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Affiliates should also be compensated fairly for taking the entrepreneurial risk of starting a small business. People also forget this. While others are happy in their secure jobs with their secure paychecks, we have decided to take the leap of faith when it is a statistical probability that we will most likely not succeed.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:34 AM   #19
Tom Fetter

Profile:

C'mon folks, we're talking about entirely different business models.

Necessity (and 4 CFers in the family) means that I need to pay the "open gym" rates I get from mostly working out at home. A very busy schedule among us all means that we couldn't get to an affiliate for regular classes either ... once/week is about tops we can fit in. Yeah, my home gym is always open, and the price is right ... but I'm always glad to get out to our local affiliate for a workout, a form tune-up, advice etc.

We've certainly progressed well using the home gym as our dominant workout tool, but none of us have any doubt that we'd be much farther along if we were at the affiliate regularly. The pace of improvement of the full-time affiliate clients has been striking.

Not hard to see why. Out there, we're pushed harder, we don't p#ss away time, our form is always tweaked for the better, and there's always a few take-away tips to improve one's next shot. The push of some friendly, supportive competition helps too.

And from my perspective - the Dad who oversees 3 kids' workouts ... it's a huge relief to have more than enough high quality equipment for us all to work out concurrently ... so it's very time efficient. It also means that someone else has primary responsibility for overseeing those workouts ... so I get to focus more on my own.

My kids and I are living proof that CF works well in a home-based environment. But the pretty stunning progress of the regular affiliate clients is a strong argument in favour of paying the higher rates, if quicker performance gains are your goal.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:40 AM   #20
Richard West

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Tarasevich View Post
Affiliates should also be compensated fairly for taking the entrepreneurial risk of starting a small business. People also forget this. While others are happy in their secure jobs with their secure paychecks, we have decided to take the leap of faith when it is a statistical probability that we will most likely not succeed.
I think it's a little unfair that so many affiliates are taking this personally, as though it's an attack on their compensation/greed. I think that it's unfortunate that crossfit is so expensive as well, and that has to do with the lack of pricing options. CFers also don't have the option of paying less for an incompetent apathetic staff like you do with globos, but I think that's for the best.

I've been paying $18 a month to use a globo through work to do crossfit, and with no affiliate within a 90 minute drive, I've been training myself. I'm moving soon to a city where there will be affiliates, and as much as I'd like to get excellent training from a pro, I'm 24, saddled with college debt, and I won't be able to find more than $50 a month for gym expenses. My plan is to join a cheap globo and hit an affiliate for an instructional class once a month. It's not ideal, but cost is a real issue.