CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 09-09-2005, 10:51 AM   #11
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Ben, I completely agree that Oly competition has benefits applicable to real-world situations. My point was just that depending on what phase of training/competition an Oly lifter was in, high-rep snatches might not be the best thing for his/her training program at that given time.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:10 PM   #12
Craig Bucher

Profile:
I like This
"But for someone training for real-world stresses, etc. there is no reason NOT to do high rep snatches."
-Matt Gagiliardi

Thanks for the responces guys. I was actually thinking about this a little before my workout, and the question was half prompted during my workout. One of the trainers at my gym is a USAW Club Coach Level 1. She started to ask why I was doing high reps, but cut herself off realizing that I am not training for a meet, and there are benifits to that workout. At that point I realized that I would be very uneffective at verbilizing the specific reasons. Then she began reminiscing how she used to have a coach that made her do wheelbarrow runs or craploads of heavy snatches and cleans for time. I thought "hmm, that sounds familiar." Who was her coach, Mike Burgener.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:51 PM   #13
Butch White

Profile:

Damn, that was a great post, Matt. The following quote has now gone into my CF notes log.

"...for someone training for real-world stresses, etc. there is no reason NOT to do high rep snatches. Because you might actually come across a situation where having done high rep snatches would be applicable... you never know what you're going to have to face. Life and sport (soccer, football, water polo, hockey, EMT, car crash, flood, etc.) has the disturbing tendency of being very random."
Old 09-14-2005, 12:49 AM   #14
Jason Erickson

Profile:
For those practicing Circular Strength Training:

An alternate workout following the 15-12-9 for time scheme:
Swipes with Clubbells
Screwing Pushups (one each side = 1 rep)

Afterwards, cool down with:
Be Breathed: Butterflys 10x, Pike 10x
Body-Flow: Circular Scorpion (10x R/L), Leg Swoops (10x R/L), Shinbox Switches (10x R/L), and any others you like.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:01 PM   #15
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
after Matt's Post

CrossFit: almost random training, for a random life.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:33 PM   #16
Jeff Griffin

Profile:
July 2003 edition of Crossfit Journal. (The Clean)Page 9, The 15 Rep Clean and Jerk.

Typically we perform three sets at the same weight. One at 15 reps another at 12 reps and a third at 9 reps. The 15-12-and 9 progression completely covers the time domain of the all important middle metobolic pathway,the glycolytic.

At 15 reps the clean and jerk combines the cardiorespiratory demands of an 800 meter run in a nauseating brew of function,strength, coordination and power.