CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 09-08-2005, 07:06 PM   #1
Craig Bucher

Profile:
I thought this was a great workout. I actually only went 10-10-9 due to overestimating myself, but I do have a question. How do I defend this against those who say high rep snatches are not good. Seemed a little low on reps for "cardio" too high to perfect form. It isn't maximum power, is it power endurance? I felt it, but I am not sure how to explain it because most think it is wrong, even more would never try it.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:18 PM   #2
Jesse Woody

Profile:
I think the odd nature of a workout like this is one of its greatest strengths, because it totally blurs the line between what you expect from exercise and can easily label as "strength", "power" or "cardio" and what is an amalgam of it all that challenges you in a way that you haven't been challenged before :D

I don't really see what could be "wrong" about a full-body, multi-joint exercise that combines strength, power and coordination being implemented into a higher-rep workout to also include a bit of muscular endurance, metabolic conditioning and mental stress....but I think I am now sufficiently biased to the point of no return ;)
Old 09-08-2005, 11:52 PM   #3
Kalen Meine

Profile:
Jesse is absolutely right about the blurring. I always get cracked up by all the blowing and going you see at lots of training sites describing how there is strength, speed strength, speed, endurance, strength endurance, speed endurance, ad nauseum, as if they were completely seperate and unrelated, instead of developments of the same body using the same biological adaptation in different proportions. Just as funny to me are the very, very precise rep range- if 1-3 is strength, and six to 12 is hypertrophy, and 25+ is endurance, what the hell happens if I do 4 reps, or 13, or 24? "What does that work"? Or 100? Or 100 singles with 1 second of rest? The answer is of course obvious- you're filling in the holes. Which raises the question of if there are anything but holes...

I guess the short answer to give out is "I never tried them like that before."
Old 09-09-2005, 05:08 AM   #4
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
"Some men see things as they are and say why. I dream things that never were and say why not."
Old 09-09-2005, 06:30 AM   #5
Craig Bucher

Profile:
I just wish I could do a better job of educating those that say why!
Old 09-09-2005, 07:12 AM   #6
William Hunter

Profile:
Work hard, and educate them with RESULTS.

The books and the talking heads will get you only so far.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:45 AM   #7
Craig Bucher

Profile:
They always want to cry genetics when I do that! When I look at Matt, I think attitude and dedication way before I think genetics.

I am happy with doing something because it works, or trying it because it might work. I just wanted to hear what the talking Crossfitters have to say. I want to better my body with crossfit, but also my knowledge and understanding so I can better help others. Most people are more receptive to an explination of the pros and cons of a workout than saying I am bigger and stronger than you so what I am doing is right. Results are good, but not always the best teaching tactic.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:43 AM   #8
Mike Burgener

Profile:
i will try to answer craigs question from the standpoint of an oly weightlifting coach of olympic weightlifting athletes. first off...a casey burgener, a sage burgener who are olympic style weightlifters who compete would not do high rep snatches...no more than 3 and usually 1-2. but having said that, during the summer (off-season) i have had my lifters doing high rep workouts...i.e. grace. in addition, cody burgener as a baseball athlete or several of my vb ladies and several of my client fb atheltes do perform crossfit workouts and therefore high rep snatches like prescribed. why?? they work!!! there goes that black box theory again!!!
Old 09-09-2005, 08:56 AM   #9
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
I think to some extent what you're seeing is a gap between those who exercise solely for looks (bodybuilders) or power (powerlifters/Oly competitors) and those who lift for other (should we call it "practical"?) reasons like CF'ers do. I will concede that a bodybuilder may not reap much reward from higher-rep snatches (in terms of being a better bodybuilder). I realize that for a powerlifter or Oly competitor it may actually be counterproductive (depending on what phase of training/competiton they're in).

But for someone training for real-world stresses, etc. there is no reason NOT to do high rep snatches. Because you might actually come across a situation where having done high rep snatches would be applicable. Outside the boundaries of a rigid competition (like Oly...specific movement performed in the same way every time for 1 rep) you never know what you're going to have to face. Life and sport (soccer, football, water polo, hockey, EMT, car crash, flood, etc.) has the disturbing tendency of being very random.

I guess you could think of it as training for the sport of life. No actual rules or techniques are spelled out...you've got to be ready for anything. And that's one reason to do high-rep snatches.

Just my random $0.02
Old 09-09-2005, 10:24 AM   #10
Ben Krey

Profile:

Great points made so far. Matt hit the nail on the head in stating <paraphrasing> that it depends what your goals are. Lifting weight overhead repeatedly with no isolation has enormous cross-over to real world activities where gravity is involved.

I would also contend that Oly competition is a great way to train for real-world stresses, and in many ways helps you to more efficiently develop power, speed, etc. I still think that crossfit is probably more well rounded in the whole scheme of GPP, but as an experiment of 1, I'll let you know how it goes.