CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 03-17-2005, 08:34 PM   #1
Fran Mason

Profile:
At my usual workout time I was in North Seattle buying used paver bricks from a homeowner and hauling them to the trunk of my creaky car. This was my workout for the day:

Load 30 bricks in wheelbarrow two at a time (rows and curls). Push wheelbarrow slightly uphill 200 feet on uneven path to edge of yard. Step and reach over low retaining wall (lunges) to move bricks into trunk. Watch car rear sink lower and lower. Continue until 152 bricks have been loaded: 4 loads of 30 and 2 loads of about 15.

Drive slowly home, praying tires don’t pop and brakes don’t fail. Congratulate self: “Self, you must be tough if you’re more worried about hurting the car than the body.” Refute self: “No you’re not, you just need a new car.” Quit talking to self and keep eyes on road.

At home, lean into trunk and remove bricks (Romanian deadlift) into two-wheeled yard cart. Easier to balance than barrow, but has to go up sloping lawn. Get a running start at bottom and hoist cart handle (high-pull) while trying to maintain momentum until cart crests slope. As momentum stops, switch hands to under handle (power clean), dig in with feet and force bodyweight up slope under cart until standing on level ground. Push cart to inconspicuous area and toss bricks out two at a time. (Should be a name for this.)

Experiment with how many bricks can be pushed up slope with running start. Answer: 35.

Geekily take some bricks in house to weigh them (5-pound average). Get ready for tomorrow’s paving-under-the-garbage-cans project, when 760 pounds of pavers will have to be lifted yet again. Plus bags of sand for underneath. Yikes.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:46 PM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
That is going to be FUN!
Robb
Old 03-18-2005, 12:13 AM   #3
David Werner

Profile:
Fran

We'll do the "brick toss" soon.

dave
Old 03-18-2005, 07:01 AM   #4
Barry Cooper

Profile:
Word of wisdom: don't pick fights with bricklayers. Don't pick fights with anyone, but especially not bricklayers. They do that all day every day, and are as strong as horses.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:43 AM   #5
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
I'm trying to calculate the total tonnage of the workout...
Old 03-18-2005, 10:49 AM   #6
David Wood

Profile:

At one point in my life, we were paying for a new house to be built (when we lived down in Texas). It had a brick front.

I was watching the guys build the front . . . two stories, plus attic . . . top was about 30 feet from ground. They had scaffolding, of course, but they got all the bricks up there by throwing them.

Literally, one guy would pile about 8-10 bricks in single stack, get his hands under them, and then squat / clean / lift / throw them up one level of the scaffolding . . . about 6 feet. Another guy on the next level up would catch the flying stack, ideally right at the peak of throw where it was momentarily weightless. He would then repeat the squat/clean/lift/heave to get it up another 6 feet. Four throws total to the top of the scaffold.

These guys were scary strong.
Old 03-18-2005, 10:56 AM   #7
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
Carpet layers are also deadly... grip strength and knees to the face. They use a tool to tuck the carpet in around the edges. Start on all fours, raise one leg back and high, bring forward hard and fast onto padded end of the tool. Repeat a few hundred times. Now picture your face in place of the tool.

Old 03-18-2005, 11:03 AM   #8
Jeff Martin

Profile:
"Now picture your face in place of the tool".
No, thank you.
Old 03-26-2005, 02:12 PM   #9
Bill Betts

Profile:

Great example of a "natural" workout.

I've always been impressed with the general fitness of roofers and Piano movers.

Generally roofers carry the shingle bundles up a ladder and distribute them over the roof then spend the rest of the day shingling. If you ever tried to carry a 150 pound bundle up a ladder repeatedly you'll know what I mean.

Four of us big strapping lads moved an old piano out of a basement and it was the wrestling match of my life. Next time we hired the pros to move it and these two med build guys show up. They worked hard but the two of them got it done. I remember thinking that I sure wouldn't want to mess with a piano mover.
Old 03-29-2005, 07:36 AM   #10
Tom Brose

Profile:
I worked for a summer as a mover. Aside from the grip/torso strength, they were all also Cleveland Teamsters. So no, you really wouldnt want to mess with them. Actually one guy I worked with was in his 60s, and was a boxing coach as well. He showed me how to pull my tailbone under and lock in a breath for certain lifts. Totally contrary to the "weightroom" training I had up to that point. Now that I remember, its a lot like the Power breating RKC style.