CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-13-2004, 07:46 PM   #1
Gordon Richmond

Profile:
(I apologize in advance for the rambling…)

Well, I’m off at college now. I’m doing Army ROTC and am on the Ranger Challenge team. Ranger Challenge can at times be a good workout, but since I do it in place of regular physical training, I have begun to augment the program with regular Crossfit workouts. Today I did a workout with dumbbell swings and I definitely had the entire weight room looking at me. Of course, all the treadmills were taken, so I jogged up three flights of stairs to the track and sprinted 400 meters, then repeated the pull-ups and dumbbell swings…you get the picture. Anyway, I digress from my question.

I, as a freshman, have a room without a kitchen or a kitchette. We have a microwave, a refrigerator, and a sink. At my school, there is no typical cafeteria, instead there is a food court that is basically a collection of fast food places, then a few more sandwich joints around the area that accept our school’s meal card as payment. The only legitimate grocery store does not accept our meal card, so I’ll have to use real cash for that.

Here is what I need help on:

What can I eat that is not too expensive, but can be prepared using the equipment I have? I’m not trying to do the paleo diet or anything, but I do want to eat more healthfully. I think I’ve had enough Hot Pockets and Subway sandwiches (Ughhh…) to last a lifetime. Please help me out.

Thanks
Old 09-13-2004, 11:11 PM   #2
Scott Parker

Profile:
tuna is cheap, so are sardines. also, you can steam some veggies in the microwave by putting them in a tupperware container with some water for a few minutes and then drizzling them with some olive oil for your fat. i work on an ambulance. one thing i do when i'm working is take a tupperware container of raw veggies, and when i'm in the ER bringing in a patient i'll add some water, and put it in the microwave for a few minutes, and by the time i'm finished they're ready. we're only given 10 minutes in the ER once we bring someone in, so it works out well. you might be able to so something like this if you in class and they have a microwave at school.

although not ideal (but way better than hot pockets) would be a protein powder supplement. i use isopure. it's a bit expensive, but allows you to create a quick meal when you're strapped for time. one of my favorites is a scoop or scoop and a half of isopure, a banana, cinnamon, either olive oil or walnuts, soy or whole milk, and a few ice cubes all blended together.

some things you might wat to pick up if possible are a small george foreman grill and a braun hand mixer. i own both of these and use them every single day. they make things soooo much easier.

like i mentioned earlier, sardines are a great way to have protien that you can take with you. pack some fruit, or a couple of slices of whole grain bread, and some nuts and you've got another nice meal on the go.

oatmeal works well too, just go with the slow cook kind. no quick oats.

hard-boiled eggs are easy. you just need to boil water.

simple things like salsa and tabasco (i prefer the green tobasco myself), can make a bland pile of veggies or hardboiled eggs way more palatable!

most of my ideas are pretty plain and simple. i bet you'll get responses from people who are a bit more creative.

hope this helps!

scott
Old 09-14-2004, 04:36 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Old Fashioned Oats (micro for 5 min at half power), vanalla low carb protein powder, frozen blueberries, almonds, (could mix all of the above for a great breakfast or snack. . .cheap too). Tuna, the new foil bag variety are easier but more expensive, low fat mayo (flavored), or salsa, wasabi paste, etc. whole wheat tortilla add cut up grapes and chopped almonds to tuna. Hood low carb milk (chocolate), natural peanut (or almond) butter (could mix with blender). Cottage cheese (low or no fat) mix with low carb vanalla protein power (I like Biotest Grow), eat an apple and take some flax or fish oil, or add almonds. Mix cottage cheese oatmeal almonds and frozen blueberries. Make a low carb protein drink add flax and fruit (frozen strawberries or blueberries or a froxen banana. Low or no fat yogert, frozen blue berries, almonds. Cottage cheese, low fat yogert (vanilla), almonds. Break eggs into a spray buttered tupperware bowel container, microwave (stop and mix), add frozen mixed veggies, scramble in bowl, put egg / veggie mixture on whole wheat tortilla, add salsa and shreaded cheese roll and eat. Instant sugar free vanalla pudding, 1.5 to 2 scoops of protein powder, water, mix put in refridge (good sweet snack). Green tea, drink it iced or with hot water from micro. Peel bag and freeze a couple of bananas for protein drinks. chicken breast, eye of round, vegs, etc. and the Foreman grill are a great mix. Just mix all of this stuff together in diffrent combos. . .lean protein, clean slow burning carbs, and a little extra added fat.
Old 09-14-2004, 05:36 AM   #4
Brian Hand

Profile:

Excellent stuff, Larry and Scott! The most depressing thing about this thread is how little my diet differs from what is recommended for a college student in a dorm room :-)

If you can limit yourself to one or two meals a day at the food courts, and try to find the healthiest available choices there, you'll do okay. ****er that you probably have to spend a lot of money for a meal plan you don't want to eat.

Protein: hard boiled eggs, tuna, cottage cheese, protein / MRP powders. Carbs: fruit, including dried and frozen, oats. Fats: nuts, seeds, olive oil, flax oil (stored in freezer), fish oil caps.

I'd get a couple of the plastic shaker cups they sell for protein powders, the ones with the little screens in them. These mix powders as well as a blender and they are totally portable. If you buy a foil packed MRP (I think UltraMet from Champion Nutrition is the best deal) you can take a packet, the shaker cup, a baggie of nuts, a piece of fruit, and a bottle of water with you and have a decent meal away from the room any time you want.

Old 09-14-2004, 05:11 PM   #5
Rick Worthington

Profile:

Lots and lots of cottage cheese (add some spicy salsa or tabasco). Low fat yogurt and grapes. Everyone mentioned tuna, but it's definitely good and easy to prep. The hand mixer is awesome. I've had one for 5 years and mixed probably 1000 shakes with it (protein powder + blueberries, a little yogurt - you can throw in the fruit that's about to go off - it all tastes good blended). Unsweetened apple sauce. Zone perfect bars are a good 2 block option (buy them at Trader Joes if you have one).
I did Ranger Challenge for a year. It was a blast! Love that 10k ruck run. Be careful overtraining with that and the WOD.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:26 AM   #6
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Larry,
I'm printing your post and giving it to the wife for a grocery list. Anyone know if you can get protein powder at Costco? Sure would save $$$!
As for Gordon's post/question: It's been 20 years since I went to college and all I can say is I wish I knew then, what I know now! As for your choices at the food court, grab one of the Zone books (all the advice you're getting comes from that source originally) and look up "Fast food eating in the Zone." Dr. Sears has some good advice for eating out. One tip I like is going to a burger place (Carl's Jr./Hardee's) ordering a combo of any sandwich (Santa Fe chicken) and replacing the fries with a side salad. Go to 7/11, buy the 2 for a dollar nuts (almonds or peanuts) and you've got your Zone meal. Hope this helps!
Old 09-15-2004, 12:10 PM   #7
Beth Moscov

Profile:
You can order a burger without the bun too. They sure look at you weird but my son and I are celiac which means no bread amongst other things and have had to talk folks at all the fast food places into a plain patty with melted cheese on it and a salad. Not the best quality of either but it works in a pinch.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:29 PM   #8
Scott Kustes

Profile:
It's been 20 years since I went to college and all I can say is I wish I knew then, what I know now!

I'm back in college now, but luckily have alot of loan money to eat well. I wish I knew what I know now back in high school when I was competing in sports, not just being a weekend warrior. Had a chance to run track for a small D-III college in KY - Centre - but chose a bigger school and academics. Maybe proper nutrition and lifting could've made me D-II or even D-I material (was only about 3/10s off of being able to do D-I anyway)...oh well, that's life. We get older and wiser.

I can't really improve on the ideas others have given, but I can offer what I eat here. A dozen eggs is $.79 and makes a good portable source of protein. Cottage cheese. I buy large bags of shelled walnuts for about $5 for a good source of omega-3's and other fats. And tuna is about $.50 a can.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:47 PM   #9
Scott Parker

Profile:
where the heck are you guys living to get tuna for .50 a can and a dozen eggs for .79?!!

scott
Old 09-15-2004, 01:43 PM   #10
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Ron, stay away from the cheap stuff, besides not being that good for you they taste like s##$. Get the Low Carb Grow at T-nation, about 20 somthing a bottle and will last you a while if your not slamming two drinks a day. I don't use the powder every day, but use it to add protein to oatmeal, yogart, pudding, or if I'm lazy I shake up a scoop, eat almonds or take a teaspoon of fish oil and an apple (or blend frozen berries into the drink). If your really lazy pour some ground up flax seeds or flax oil into the drink. I didn't add sugar free popsickles (sp) to the above post. I usually have one at night to stop a sugar fix. Also, if your dying for somthing sweet. . .brush your teeth (really, it works).