CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 03-01-2012, 05:07 AM   #1
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:
CrossFit Games 12.2 Form Check

Okay, so I'm sure I won't be the last person to post this - but here's my video submission for 12.2.

I got through the 75# just fine. 135# was a whole nother ballgame though. I've almost never been able to get that much weight overhead, especially in a snatch. 9 failed reps later, I've got my 30 reps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...daCZ-kE#t=356s (WFS - music in background might be parental advisory, I'm honestly not sure) - Note, link skips past the first 30 reps, but you are welcome to watch those too =D

The main culprit is my inability to get under the bar, I should have attempted to squat snatch it, but I think I was scared to get under that much weight, or I just didn't have the muscle memory, not sure. I don't snatch much.

Any help/criticism would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:56 AM   #2
Keith Miller

Profile:
Re: CrossFit Games 12.2 Form Check

You are starting with your hips way too high. Drop them down and use your legs in the first pull. Don't think of the first pull as a "pull", but instead think of pushing the floor away from you. AND GET THOSE HIPS DOWN TO START!!!
Old 03-01-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:

Video can also be found here - Official Games Site (WFS)

Thanks Keith. I was thinking more along the lines of how I start my deadlift, just with a wider grip. Guess that was the wrong way to go. I'll play around with your idea tonight.

Last edited by Nicholas Wheeler; 03-01-2012 at 09:07 AM.. Reason: added WFS tag
Old 03-01-2012, 10:12 AM   #4
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

You were much too close to the wall behind you for safety's sake. You're actually fortunate you never got the bar overhead.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:00 AM   #5
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
You were much too close to the wall behind you for safety's sake. You're actually fortunate you never got the bar overhead.
That's pretty much NEVER where I do my work. I only had it set up there to be able to meet all the requirements of the video submission, having a second person/clock/sidelined view that can see top and bottom. The camera was being held inside my squat rack, which I normally face, giving me a TON more room on all sides.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:55 AM   #6
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

I actually watched it earlier on the leaderboard before I saw you posted this, and MAN did it make me cringe. You got 135 up to eye level SO many times - while standing FULLY UPRIGHT, you absolutely had the lift... if you would just drop under the bar! You did reps 1-30 as muscle snatches, technique wasn't horrible, you just need to learn to bend those knees

Work your snatch balances and then go do this one again!
Old 03-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #7
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
I actually watched it earlier on the leaderboard before I saw you posted this, and MAN did it make me cringe. You got 135 up to eye level SO many times - while standing FULLY UPRIGHT, you absolutely had the lift... if you would just drop under the bar! You did reps 1-30 as muscle snatches, technique wasn't horrible, you just need to learn to bend those knees

Work your snatch balances and then go do this one again!
Thanks, my goal was to not be too visibly frustrated. I didn't go into it expecting 31 reps, but it did start to get frustrating when I knew I was so darn close!
Old 03-03-2012, 08:09 PM   #8
John Kaupp

Profile:

In addition to dropping under the bar, you are trying to use your arms in the second pull instead of the hips. Use more hips and you can still power snatch the weight. Using your arms not only slows the bar going up, but it does not allow the bar to be weightless for the fraction of a second that you need to get underneath it.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:51 PM   #9
Benji Whitehead

Profile:

You are SO close! I commented on your games page the other day that I'm in the same boat with you. I tried 135 on Thursday night and couldn't do it. Somehow today I got it! I got 4 reps at 135. I tried to get everything moving faster from the floor and it worked. If you get one you'll get more! I wish that I didn't waste so much time on mine before I finally got it. I honestly thought about just stopping after 30 because I didn't want to hurt myself but I figured I'd give it a try a few times anyway.

Here's my ugly effort: http://games.crossfit.com/judge/97102 (work/family safe, if ugly snatches are safe at your work)
Old 03-05-2012, 02:29 PM   #10
Tony Sutton

Profile:

For one, at least you didn't drop it on your ankle.

On a serious note, if you are not comfortable in the full squat, practice landing in the 3/4 squat at lighter weights, 75/95/115, and then try again. My friend was at the same spot you are since he never snatched anything over 135. We worked on hitting the landing, which you were doing without a bar. He ended up putting up 18 at 135, and I am guessing his 1rm will go up a lot.