CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 07-27-2007, 05:53 PM   #1
Derek Maffett

Profile:
I am planning to go into a career which is along the lines of training people and finding better ways to train (some kind of sports degree, perhaps?) I was wondering if anyone could advise a good college (reasonably priced) that would teach this sort of thing. Also, what kind of a degree would I need?

Thanks
Old 07-27-2007, 06:58 PM   #2
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Nothing beats experience and passion in the training profession (applies to many other occupations as well). I'd seriously advise anyone considering a career in fitness training (or the like) to think long and hard before dropping a boatload of money on a piece a paper. Unless your ultimate desire is to become a lawyer, a veterinarian, or a college-level teacher
then of course the bachelor's degree is a must and a necessary prerequisite to more advanced degrees.

Obviously no one but you can make the final decision, but maybe getting as many opinions from others as possible will give you some new ways of thinking about it.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:46 PM   #3
George Mounce

Profile:
w/f safe link to a slew of colleges:

http://www.uscollegesearch.org/athletic-training-and-sports-medicine-colleges.ht ml

I'm currently getting my Master's of Sports Management with a specialization in Sports Administration. I'd like to run my own localized gym someday focusing on CrossFit concepts and become an affiliate. But, being in the military, I have plenty of time to work on my business plan before I get out. For the time being it is fun using sports as the springboard towards an admin degree. Very similar to a business admin degree, just focuses on the sports/gym/sporting event atmosphere.

(Message edited by gdmv on July 27, 2007)
Old 07-27-2007, 08:38 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:
Wait, how old are you?

If you're for a bachelors I'd recommend my alma mater (haha, first time I've used that phrase) Univ of Maryland. Top 5 kinesiology program which basically can lead to anything in the field of exercise science or personal training or whatever where you want to go from there.

In addition, the valuable resource of Gymkana will be available to you. The only exhibitional gymnastics troupe left in the country which requires *NO* experience to join and from which you can learn gymnastics for free basically. :-) For example, see my picture to the left.

Plus, you'll probably get to meet myself and everyone else from around the DC/MD/VA metropolitan area if you want to pursue Parkour or CF or what have you.

If you're looking for a masters or training cert or whatever then I have no advice for you, haha.

(Message edited by braindx on July 27, 2007)
Old 07-27-2007, 09:42 PM   #5
Derek Maffett

Profile:
Thanks, Stephen. I'll have to check out that University.

How old did you think I was?
Old 07-27-2007, 10:09 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:
No clue... since I can't tell people's ages around here unless they specifically state. :-)
Old 07-27-2007, 10:14 PM   #7
Derek Maffett

Profile:
Makes sense.

Can you tell me what the crime situation is over there? I seem to recall that the the DC area crime rate is very high.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:17 AM   #8
Mike Humphries

Profile:
Uh, don't be scared by the crime rate. Don't be stupid and stay out of southeast and northeast DC at night (not that there's any reason to go there anyway) and you're fine.

I don't know anything about the kinesiology program. I'd just like to put in a shameless plug for the greatest school in the country. Not only can you pick up a great education, you also get the privilege of rooting for the Terps!

Seriously though, Maryland is a great place to go to school. Nice area, never a lack of things to do, only minutes from the interesting and fun parts of DC. It's definitely worth a look.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:40 AM   #9
Steven Low

Profile:
Yeah, CP is actually a bunch of miles away from DC. Although downtime college park does have a decent crime rate you probably won't be there but on the dorms in campus at least for a few years. It's not bad at all on campus. But I wouldn't recommend walking out at night by youself at 2 A.M (well, I wouldn't recommend that anywhere) in a semi-city environment.

The crime statistics are pretty inflated though if you've been looking at that -- per capita UMD is probably around the middle of the pack or so.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:29 PM   #10
Adam Noble

Profile:
I'll put in a plug for the University of Vermont. One of the best places if you like the outdoors and being active. No clue about sports degrees though.