CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 06-26-2007, 09:41 AM   #1
Paul Zagaria

Profile:
Does anyone have any information on good publications/research material on CF workouts for children?
Old 06-26-2007, 09:52 AM   #2
Chris Stowe

Profile:
www.crossfitkids.com
Old 06-26-2007, 10:09 AM   #3
Paul Zagaria

Profile:
Thanks, Chris. I originally was looking more for
a more detailed book on theory, ages to begin training kids, beginning strength training etc., but it looks like all the info. may be in there. Semper Fi (Quantico 1987-89).
Old 06-26-2007, 10:19 AM   #4
Chris Stowe

Profile:
I actually have just been looking at it myself for my 11 year old boy. It seems like it has good links to other sites (brand X etc) as well as plenty of archives, and also a crossfit kids newsletter. And as always, you can do some serious scaling to the normal WODs, depending on what equipment you have available. I just got up here to Quantico after about 7 straight years at 2MEF in Lejeune, so its a welcome break for the family up here. Hope it helps, have a good one.
Old 06-26-2007, 11:22 AM   #5
Tom Fetter

Profile:
I've used Starting Strength with my three kids, aged 8-15. Obviously, I'm in the weight room with them at all times when iron's being lifted. They've made great gains, including the youngest (who deadlifts twice his bodyweight now).

We've scaled CrossFit WODs based on the % of their bodyweight for things like thrusters etc., and simply used common-sense scaling in the CrossFit in the Park sessions we've attended with Anthony B. and Jodi Arbeau.

t

(Message edited by TomF on June 26, 2007)
Old 06-26-2007, 12:07 PM   #6
Jason Naubur

Profile:
I ordered this book (WFS)

M1,http://books.google.com/books?id=OBwrLnc3DiwC&dq=book+bompa&pg=PA1&ots=jyA 7KZ MamG&sig=UkSFjsbXB02ylzvMGQ-6jOqI1VE&prev=http://www.google.com/search%3Fclient% 3Dsafari%26rls%3Den%26q%3Dbook%2Bbompa%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8&sa=X&oi=print&c t=result&cd=3#PPA209,M1

I haven't started into it yet, just browsing but it seems pretty good and right what I need to know. My kids are 7,5,2.

Jason
Old 06-26-2007, 12:46 PM   #7
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Paul:

Email or PM Jeff Martin at BrandX. Also, as an affiliate you have a separate board to communicate with other affiliates, and I know that Jeff and Mikki are active on that board. They are very special folks and will be more than glad to help.

See you Saturday!

Darrell
Old 06-26-2007, 01:57 PM   #8
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Darrell and Chris,
Thanks

Paul,
Drop me a line. Let me know what it is you are looking for. We publish the CrossFit Kids Magazine which is designed to support affliates, teachers, coaches and parents bringing CrossFit to kids.

Jeff

(Message edited by Jeff_m on June 26, 2007)
Old 06-26-2007, 03:07 PM   #9
Paul Zagaria

Profile:
Jeff,

I just ordered the Kids Crossfit Journal. My partners and I are getting ready to open the Crossfit affilliate in Cleveland, and I was looking for books/publications to help me train kids re: beginning strength training, theory, etc. I instruct at our city police academy PT and Def. Tactics, so I feel confident training adults, but I would like all the info I can get on training kids, as I don't have much experience training them. If you think the journal is enough, I'll stick with that and soak up all the info I can.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:53 AM   #10
Dan Wall

Profile:
Paul - If you are wanting a good book on training kids take a look at "Total Training for Young Champions" by Dr. Tudor Bompa. I found it on Amazon.com. I'm using it with my kids ( ages 9 & 10). I used to be an elementary school teacher and this book goes right along with what we learned about child development and motor skills. The concepts align with the CrossFit philosophy. It provides the theories and reseach to back up what you are wanting to do.

Dan