CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-17-2005, 03:55 AM   #1
Peter Galloway

Profile:

Anyone know anything about the above? My club is playing them on Saturday (I'm not playing unfortunately!), some inside info before the match would be good!!

Anyway, looking forward to it, no doubt the post-match entertainment will be when the REAL competition will commence. Who will win the drinking contest?!? :crazy:
Old 03-17-2005, 01:33 PM   #2
Patrick A. Stewart

Profile:
Sorry Peter - I don't know offhand - you might want to contact Jon Velie at Oklahoma - I'm also attaching an article from Goff on Rugby that talks about them slightly.

So, if I may ask - what club are you with?

Patrick

Arkansas State University

Oklahoma Wins Big XII

February 27, 2005 – The Oklahoma Sooners beat a physical and talented Iowa State Cyclones 29-10 in the finals of the 2005 American Eagle Title Big XII Championship.

The Sooners but up 24 points in the first half behind the gap-busting play of Big XII MVP fullback Merrit Johhnson. Johnson scored eight tries on the day and was very solid in defense throughout the tournament. The Sooner were able to control the match up front with prop Matt Upton and were effective wide.

However, the Cyclones scrapped back in the second half behind the spirited play of Eagle sevens player and ISU No. 8 Markus Bokhoven, and South African openside flanker Schalk Van der Merwe.

The Cyclone back row were successful at poaching ball and dynamic on attack. It made for an exciting second half as Luke Turner and Nick Anderson as OU’s 7 and 8 matched up well on the other side of the ball. ISU’s centers also equaled the OU centers, as evidenced by Greg Seamen’s late try. But the difference was in the half-backs, with OU scrumhalf Zac Clark providing clean ball to flyhalf Roger Gassett, who ran his backline and inserted forwards very well. The result allowed Johnson to run free.

The play of Nebraska, Oklahoma State and Kansas was also much improved over recent years. Nebraska has made major strides and has fielded a very large and athletic team. Coach Tommy Smith has big, athletic side that is starting to produce some good rugby.

OSU has a new coaching staff but is still led by its spiritual leader, West RFU flanker Jacob McKinley. The Cowboys competed hard in all matches and will not be rebuilding long. Kansas also showed some nice moments on the weekend.

From all perspectives the Big XII was a success. The goal of this event is threefold, create exposure for rugby, develop players and prepare teams for the play-offs. On the exposure side it was certainly successful with local and student newspapers covering the matches and Fox Soccer Channel, formerly Fox Sports World, apparently producing a 30 minute show on the tournament.

David Kelso, KRXO 107.7 raved about the event on his classic rock afternoon drive show and about 1,000 fans braved the chilly weather to take in some games. Eagle Title Insurance, as corporate sponsor underwrote the expenses of the television show.

Developing players. The Big XII Rugby Championships is an early season event. In its six year history it has always had the mission of developing rugby players. This year with an odd number of teams the sixth spot was filled with a Big XII Development Team, which paired the brand new kids from each team with some seasoned vets. Eagle 7s pool player Kelly Meek and USA Combined Services captain Jeremy Allen took the field with reserves from the other teams to compete. They played well, scoring in every match and never getting blown out.

In preparing for the playoffs, "our goal at OU was to win the Big XII Tournament," said head coach Jon Velie. "The title means a lot and it translates well to those not associated with rugby. The other goal is to play depth and prepare for a multiple game format for the tournament. This was really good for us."
Old 03-18-2005, 04:53 AM   #3
Peter Galloway

Profile:

Thanks for the reply Patrick.

After panicking for a few minutes, I made a few enquiries and it turns out we're playing a club side that is affiliated with the University team, NOT the Big XII Championship-winning OU Sooners! :blush:

My club is called Park House RFC, we are a small club in Bromley, Kent (UK). We play in London league division 3, so very small-time and certainly not a match for a top US college team! Although as an interesting aside, Park House have a perfect 2 - 0 record against international teams: we have played the French national team twice and beat them on both occasions. However, this seemingly magnificent achievement is dampened somewhat by the fact that these fixtures were played at the turn of the 20th century, before Rugby was well-established in France! Still, a good record to have...

I shall report back on how the match went (and of course the post-match festivities!)
Old 03-21-2005, 05:42 AM   #4
Peter Galloway

Profile:

Well, confusion reigns in the world of Park House Rugby club. Contrary to what the above post says, the team that visited us WAS the OU Sooners. Somebody at the club deserves a dressing-down, because the level of organisation surrounding the fixture at our end was woeful. Nobody seemed to have a clue who we were up against, and the team we fielded contained only one regular first-team player. This is a major disappointment, because if we had fielded a full-strength team we could have mounted a serious challenge; as it was, the Sooners ran in several tries to win by more than fifty points. We managed a paltry one try in return.

As for the American team, I was very impressed with their fitness and ability. The forwards did the basics superbly well, and were a major threat when hitting the ball up. The backs played well in parts, although they committed far too many handling errors and were not ruthless enough to "finish off" a far inferior team. I was most impressed with the front row, who were huge and mobile, and the open-side flanker, who looked like a front-rower himself but exhibited great speed to finish off a lovely try which capped a great performance.

As for the post-match stuff - I had to give it a miss through illness so I am unable to shed any light!
Old 03-21-2011, 10:18 PM   #5
Bob Morton

Profile:
Re: Visit of Oklahoma State University rugby team to my rugby club.

Just want to ask if the team is still playing?
Old 03-22-2011, 06:29 AM   #6
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:
Re: Visit of Oklahoma State University rugby team to my rugby club.

I remember OU's UK trip very well. Unfortunately it was the year after I was done playing for the team. Strange if I'd stuck around one more year I would've been one of the players involved in this post. lol
They have a pretty good team again this year from what I understand.