CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 06-01-2005, 08:21 AM   #1
Charles Hansen

Profile:
First post for me. Although I have been doing crossfit for a little over a year.

I am interested to know what people did after they graduated college. I have like five days of school left and then i'm done.

Did people get a job right away? Move back home with the parents for a while? Backpack Europe?

I have a 4 month work visa for Ireland and a 6 month visa for the UK, so i'm thinking of doing that around september and then backpacking afterwards.

So if anyone has any thoughts or advice on anythig that would be great. Its kinda crazy knowing that i'm completly done, but i'm still unsure what i want to do.

I'm posting this specifically in a crossfit thread cause I check the boards out a couple times a week and really respect everyone here, its definitely among the best.
Charlie
Old 06-01-2005, 08:37 AM   #2
Peter Galloway

Profile:

Well, I can't give you any advice from a US perspective. However, I will say that if you do make it to the UK and are anywhere near south London, drop me a line if you want somebody to work out with - I'd be happy to oblige!

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:35 AM   #3
Troy Archie

Profile:
I'd say travel. I say that because that's what I'm about to be doing. You'll get more of a life changing experience with traveling. Traveling opens the prospect of being able to change your perception of the world and making you a worldlier individual.

If you do decide to travel don't go to Europe. Everyone goes to Europe. It's expensive, the standard of living is too comparable to North America's, you won't get as much of a culture shock or lasting experience. Go to Asia where everything is dirt cheap. You'll get more bangs for your buck spiritually, culturally and materially. Check out the following link for a good traveler’s book.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0812992180/qid=1117650779/sr=2-1/ref=pd_b bs_b_2_1/102-9198517-1597769
Old 06-01-2005, 12:00 PM   #4
bill fox

Profile:

I was undecided between grad school (philosophy) and law school, so I took a year off and taught tennis at country clubs during the winter and tennis camps in the summer (the year turned into 2). I then got a M.A. in philosophy and went to law school, so my 2 years off didn't "hurt" my ambitions at all.

Best thing I ever did. Once you get "on track" it's really hard to get off, which is why most guys my age do a lot of "Yeah, I wish I had done that, I was gonna do that but...."

Bill
Old 06-01-2005, 12:34 PM   #5
William Hunter

Profile:
I was raised in NY, and went to college in Atlanta. I graduated with a friend from Boston and that summer we loaded up his 4Runner and basically circled the entire US, stopping to visit friends, national parks, cool cities, etc. Took about 4-6 weeks.

15 years later, my buddy and I still talk about that trip. Now that we're "locked in" that trip is not possible.

We chose to explore America because, well, it rocks (nothing against Europe). Also, neither of us had spent much time out west. I notice you're in Eugene so maybe you've seen everything out there. Either way, don't be in too much of a rush to get roped in to anything.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:26 PM   #6
Michael Nobori

Profile:
I was just talking with a buddy last night about my travel experiences. People who I respected repeatedly told me to enjoy myself and do the kinds of things they regretted not doing when they were college grads. I took a few months to backpack during/after college (2 trips to Europe). I continue to look back fondly at those experiences as some of the best times of my life. My friend wants to do the same, but I don't know if he ever will now that he graduated college a few years ago and is on a career track. Bottom line: You have the rest of your life to work, get married, have a family, career, etc.. Now is the time to see the world, learn about yourself, take chances, gain new experiences, and basically party like a rock star. Celebrate the end of irresponsibility and the beginning of the "real world."

As far as where to go... America is a good idea. See this great country before homogenization (Mc-Wal-bucks) wipes out regional flavor and makes everything the same. Troy makes a good case for Asia. If you go to Europe, I would focus on less typical places like Prague and Budapest. The Eiffel Tower, Vatican, Louvre, etc. aren't going anywhere. See those on a family vacation or something later. Bon voyage!
Old 06-01-2005, 04:18 PM   #7
Rene Renteria

Profile:
Travel!

I worked in a bio lab for 6 months after graduating and then travelled for 4 months before going to grad school. Highly recommended. As others have said, those are some of my more treasured memories. It was also enlightening to realize that you simply just do it--some planning, some money, then just GO.

A friend and I bought around-the-world tickets, leaving from San Francisco and stopping in Bangkok, Kathmandu, New Dehli, Nairobi, and Brussels, before ending in New York City. (Cost of the ticket was close to $2K back in 1991.) Lots of great stories, 3 of the worst hangovers ever, lots of sublime images and sensations, and memories of new friends remain.

My friend returned to the States after Kenya, and I spent the next 2 months in Europe that summer by myself, staying in hostels, using a Eurail pass, following the Tour de France for a few stages (saw Laurent Fignon, Greg Lemond, and Miguel Indurain climbing up Le Alpe de Huez), travelling with other grads. It was great, like a vacation after the other 2 months of travel we had done.

Central and South America, Western and Eastern Europe, Australia, Asia (Thailand! Vietnam!)--go somewhere!

Jealous,
Rene'
PS--Congratulations on finishing up!
Old 06-01-2005, 07:53 PM   #8
Alex McClung

Profile:
I spent 10 years getting through undergrad, so I pretty much worked it out of my system by then. I was gainfully employed 9 days after graduation and have been for the last 17 years. Since most of that was in Boulder, Colorado, I have absolutely no regrets.

We interviewed an engineering candidate a few years ago. This guy had a masters from CalTech, but a 2 year gap on his resume. We asked him about that gap, and he said that he spent the time living on the beach in Australia, surfing and pounding beers. We hired him on the spot and it was one of the best hires we ever made. This guy was an engineering god, and had great chemistry with the team.

Remember, you'll never, ever get a chance to re-live your life. Make sure that it's one worth remembering. Make sure that you pursue something that you really enjoy, that you do it with people you really like, in a place that's really special to you. If you can put all that together it won't even seem like work, and they'll pay you on top of it. Congrats, good luck, and party like a rock star.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:49 PM   #9
Pat Janes

Profile:

Definitely travel! In fact, if ever you have the chance, travel...!

I went straight into Uni out of high school and I was 25 before I got to see any of the world - went to the US for 4 weeks. Now, 10 years later, that's still the only travelling I've done.

Somehow, nowadays, life gets in the way.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:22 AM   #10
Graham Tidey

Profile:
Yeah man, hit the road.

Funnily enough I am sitting in the University IT suite -for the last time-. Handing in my Final Project today and hande din my Dissertation a couple of days ago.

Anyway, I would really recommend travelling too. If you can get some kind of work which lets you travel all the better. This was my plan, to do what I loved as a job, so I became a divemaster and am training to be an english teacher. You don't have to travel, spend your money and go home. In July I'm off to live in Portugal for about two year, then hopefully Brasil.

I've already spoken to people my age leaving Uni who have jobs lined up and feel the need to say "Well, it pays the bills doesn't it?" (in an insurance firm). He's 21! Get out there. These are the days you'll look back on when you're old.

As a side note, if you're looking to go somewhere to do something volunteery for a little while (doing stuff with orang utangs, kids, AIDS, conservation, building, whatever) send me an email. I scoured the net a little bit ago for not-for-profit volunteer organisations which only charge you rent and food.

Or you could always take CF to asia...