CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-16-2006, 09:17 AM   #1
David Stegman

Profile:
So I've really been watching my the Sodium levels in different foods lately. Sparked on by the info given here about deli meats.

I had question though, so maybe someone can help me out here. It seems heavy sodium is used in so many products so I was wondering:

How much is too much Sodium during the day?

Also...if your are drinking at least a gallon of water a day what are the "bad effects" of Sodium on the body?

(Message edited by AgentCooper on March 16, 2006)
Old 03-16-2006, 11:31 AM   #2
Garrett Smith

Profile:
David,
I feel that processed table salt should be avoided as strongly as processed sugar.

There are very beneficial types of salt, such as Celtic and Himalayan salts that have anecdotal and clinical records of helping people with their health issues (likely due to trace mineral deficiencies being rebalanced).

For a lot of info on Himalayan Crystal salt and salt in general, I'd suggest visiting http://www.himalayancrystalsalt.com/.

IMO, excessive salt (and sugar) consumption cannot be balanced with excessive water consumption. I consider a gallon of water on top of the water contained in foods and in other beverages consumed to be excessive. This is due to an assumed lack of minerals in the water, creating a "negative" pull on the minerals in the body. When one's urine is clear, it doesn't mean that significant amounts of minerals are not leaving the body!

Proper hydration is extremely important. Overhydration with plain water is a strain on the kidneys and mineral reserves. That's where I find that getting highly "bioavailable" water with minerals to be important. I personally do this through liberal (herbal/green/white) tea drinking and by adding electrolytes to spring water in the form of sole' (see the above website for info on that) so important and beneficial.

For more info on proper water absorption, there are several "tea" threads that I contributed to where how water is best absorbed is discussed.
Old 03-16-2006, 11:50 AM   #3
Kevin McKay

Profile:
What about sea salt, how does that stack up?
Old 03-16-2006, 11:50 AM   #4
David Stegman

Profile:
Thanks for the info Garrett,

I'm understanding some of this now. However, I'd like to know a bit more about "sole". I read how you make it at home but I'm confused about a couple of things.

Do you drink a glass of that everyday? And, how much regular water do you drink a day?

I generally have 1 17 oz. glass of pure green tea everyday along with a gallon or close to a gallon of water a day. I'm interested in what "sole" does for you etc.

Old 03-16-2006, 12:59 PM   #5
Garrett Smith

Profile:
David,
Look more around that site I provided, especially the free PDFs.

The sole is only taken as a *1 teaspoon* dose a day, mixed into a glass of spring water (optimally, other waters would work as well).

Kevin,
Sea salt is a huge topic. Much of the "sea salt" around today is purified, leaving a very white salt with few of the desired trace minerals left in it. The whiter the salt, the more I would choose to avoid it. There is also the issue of contaminants in the ocean nowadays becoming part of the sea salt (obviously undesirable). Celtic salt (http://www.celticseasalt.com/) is a sea salt, probably the kind I would buy if I didn't already know about and believe that the Himalayan salt (from an ancient inland sea, I believe) was better.
Old 03-16-2006, 01:20 PM   #6
David Stegman

Profile:
Garrett,

Thanks for all the info. I just bought some a bag of the crystal salt for making sole. I read pretty much everything on the site and it looks like it couldn't hurt.

What if anything have you noticed since you have been drking the sole...and, how long have you been doing that?