CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 08-27-2018, 12:02 AM   #771
Alex Burden

Profile:
Re: Its me and it's her (the wife)

Monday morning and feeling a little stiff here and there. We finished off paving our driveway on my birthday, my youngest son help me with that. Feels great that that is finally finished.

Wife has been sick more or less the whole weekend , she has has a cold or something so she did not join me at the gym today.

Plan - 3's

Warm up
5min on the rower nice and easy
Pipe work and a lot of mobility work

all in all 20min or so

Plan - Squats 3, 3, 3, 3, 3..... as far as you like.
I have not done any squats for quite some time so it was interesting to find out if things feel heavy fast.

40kgs x 2 rounds, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 110. 115kgs/253lbs

felt quite good today and i did not push anything or take any risks.

Plan - OHS 3, 3, 3, 3, 3..... as far as you like.

40, 50, 60, 65, 70, 74, 77kgs/169lbs new 3rm for my OHS

So i started off with the bar at 60kgs and boy did that feel heavy on my wrists. I did 2 reps on that weight and decided to drop the bar, then drop the weight and start over again from 40kgs.

I felt really solid today on all of the sets and had no problem out of the hole. I was clearly below level with my hips. Hit 74kgs which i knew was my best 3rm and then hit a solid 77kgs, so pleased with that as i had no expectations on anything today.

Cool down
clean up my crap and stretch for 15min or so.

nice easy start to the week.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:52 AM   #772
Alex Burden

Profile:

Tuesday morning and feeling quite good, not what i can say about the wife.... she feels like crap her cold has really kicked in and she won't be working out for a few more days. She is so dissapointed she can't workout.

Plan for today - technique, and grip

Warm up
60 cal row nice and easy
pipe work on shoulder mobility

and start to warm up for the first movement. So that meant DB bench press, triceps activation and shoulder work to really make sure i was good to go before i started.

all in all 30min

Plan
10 strict muscle ups - rest as needed between reps

These felt really good today and no stress on anything.

10 rounds of:
2 strict close grip pull ups with close grip row bar, pulling so that shoulder would touch the pull up bar.
1 strict HSPU

To warm up on this i did a couple of wall walks and a few HS holds just to get the feeling of things. On my first HSPU i got a no rep, it felt so heavy, so i did a couple of negatives and restarted the 10 rounds. The pull ups were no problem and over the rounds the HSPU got a little heavier and i needed to rest a little more. My intention is to learn kipping HSPU very soon which i know will make a massive difference but i feel the most important thing is that is you can't go strict you should not go kipping. Build strenght and form in all movements.

8 rounds:
5 Toes to rings

Holding a neutral grip i am killing 2 birds with one stone. I need to improve my T2B which is part of this but i also need to work on my grip for when i start to work on my kipping muscle ups. I felt more and more comfortable during the rounds and my grips did not suffer at all. The final 2 rounds i used a more aggressive kip to get the feel of the movement. The T2rings became so easy.

5 rounds:
3 kips for muscle ups

grab the rings in a neutral grip and work on the bottom of the kip movement to get the feeling of how the body moves, what the rotation feels like and the stress on the grip. This felt really good and is something i am going to work on so that i can hit kipping MU's

5x10 second L-holds in parallette bars.

My shoulders were really tired by this time and i managed 5-7 seconds only

8x25 Du's - just to get the heart rate up a bit.

Cool down
stretch for 20min

and that was that for today
Old 08-30-2018, 03:30 AM   #773
Alex Burden

Profile:

Thursday morning and feeling tired. Has a deep muscle fibre massage yesterday on my legs as they need a bit of maintenance which also meant they were a little sore this morning.

The wife is still sick and will not be back until Monday. Boy is she jealous of me working out and she asks me every day what i am going to do and if anyone has asked where she is.... our friends do ask and i tell them that she is off sick but i tell the wife that i tell them that she is being lazy, got up late and can't be bothered to workout today....

Plan for today: suck it up

Warm up
60 cal on the rower
pipe work
jog 300m
start to warm up and get ready for what was to come.

All in all 35min

Suck it up

7min AMRAP
Clean & Jerk 50kgs
Chest to bar

3/3 6/6 9/9 12/12 .......

Result = 60 reps

I was hoping for more but i was feeling tired prior to the start. I was pleased to complete the round of 12. This is something to work on.

rest 5min

24min EMOM
Min 1 = 15 cal ski erg
Min 2 = 15 cal row
Min 3 = rest

This was a tough one to start and i was just on the limit to complete the 15 cal in time. Speeded up a little and left myself 5 seconds. After 24min i was gassed.

rest 5min

10min EMOM
Min 1-9 = 4 - box facing burpee box jump over 24"
Min 10 = AMRAP.. of BBJO

I really need to work on burpees so i added the box to make it a little harder. 4 BBJO took 22 seconds for the first couple of mins but then i could finish them in 19-20 seconds for the remaining rounds. I did not go flat out but kept the pace the same. The final round i did as many as i could and completed 11 reps, i was pleased with that.

Cool down
Boy did i have a sweat on..... spent 20min stretching and bringing my body temp down.

Today was tough but i needed it to challenge myself.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:55 AM   #774
Vic McQuaide

Profile:

Congrats on the 3 rep ohs pr!
Owner of Crossfitdarkside.com Fran: 2:36 Diane: 2:30 Jackie 5:43 Mary 15+ rounds Helen 6:58
Old 08-31-2018, 12:37 AM   #775
Alex Burden

Profile:

Cheers Vic

Friday morning and feeling really good. I slept well and no aches or pains anywhere. The wife is on her comeback, she is way better now and has got her appetite back and way in a really good mood this morning. So now she will rest over the weekend and be back on Monday.

Plan for today - technique and strength

Warm up
60 cals on the rower
get those hips and hammies really warmed up
Little jog to wake the rest of the body up

all in all 20min

Deadlift
Hips low, drive with heels and really pop those hips at the top for speed. This is all about techniques and making sure each lift is identical even at really low weights.

40kgs x 10
80kgs x 4
100kgs x 3
120kgs x 2
130kgs x 2
140kgs x 1
150kgs x 1
155kgs x 1
160kgs/352lbs x 1
165kgs x F

Everything felt and looked solid all the way up to 160kgs. Gripped the bar at 165 and gave it a pull but did not make an attempt... i left my best game at 160 which i was pleased with.

Medball - Ground to over shoulder
The gym bought a 40kg/88lbs medball which is great because now i have something else i can do.

10 x ground to over shoulder on the spot

then

10 rounds of
15m/50ft walk with med ball, then at end TnGo ground to over shoulder.

using the fundamentals from the deadlift make sure i really popped those hips so that the med ball would just fly up over my shoulder. Very pleased with this.

Toes 2 Rings (another motive)
4 x 5 reps
4 x 10 reps

The alternative motive with movement is to work on grip strength and kipping the movement. The main reason i have started these is to actually help me with kipping muscle ups. If i go unbroken on the T2rings my shoulder get more used to the weight and stress at the bottom of the kip where your body weighs the most. I need to make sure my shoulders and grip can take the strain of my 100kgs before i start to try kipping MU's. I am starting to feel more and more comfortable with the neutral grip and i can really work on the kip and driving my hips.

Cool Down
stretch for 15min or so.

Very pleased with this week even if the wife was not around.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:13 AM   #776
Alex Burden

Profile:

Monday morning and the wife is back and boy is she ready to go.... she was like a 5 year old that couldn't stand still. She has really missed the working out. Due to the fact that she was sick last week i planned today so that we would not raise her heart rate so much and stress her, so i planned a back workout for quality.

Warm up
1km on the rower
pipe work and a light stretch and warm up to get the back going

not more than 15min in total.

Back
8x8 Shoulder retraction over KB
6x8 arms over KB into lats retraction
4x8 over emphasised swimming on incline bench with .5, 1, 1½kgs plates

Wife:
6x4 Pull ups supinated/pronated grip (assisted)
4x4 negative pull ups supinated/pronated grip

Myself:
10x4 strict close grip pull ups using row handle

6x8 Back extentions

Partner:
5min plank continious hold between us.
5min AMRAP sit-ups = 123 reps

Everything felt very controlled throughout the movements. We could really connect with those deep muscles fibers and once you felt the burn it never stopped. The wife was very pleased and did not feel gased at all but had a good overall tired feeling over her back.

Cool down
light stretch and mobility for 15min
Old 09-04-2018, 12:10 AM   #777
Alex Burden

Profile:

Tuesday morning and feeling quite good. We both slept really well and we are both sore after yesterdays back workout. So keeping with the theme from yesterday we will be working on hams and glutes today. Still need to keep the wife's heart rate down so as not to stress her.

Warm up
60 cal on the rower
some pipe work but very light
get the legs and hamstrings warmed up

all in all 20min

Front Squat 3,3,3,3,3 - take it as far as you like.
Focus on technique and breathing. The wife has had an issue when she is on her front foot and not on her heels so we looked into that and widened her stance a little.

Wife - 20, 25, 28, 30, 33, 35, 38, 40, 42kgs/92lbs

This was the best 3 rep weight for some time for her and her form was as solid as hell today. She was very pleased with it.

Myself - 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100, 105kgs/231lbs

I was pleased will all of my lifts today. I have not been heavy in the front squat for some time so i am pleased too.

1 arm OH KB (8/12kgs) walking lunges 10m/30ft
8 lengths of this felt good, drive with the heel and keep it steady.

Resistance band abductor side step
6 x 10 steps

Cool down
stretch for 20min
Old 09-06-2018, 12:49 AM   #778
Alex Burden

Profile:

Thursday morning and our legs are still sore from Tuesday. I slept well last night but apparently the wife did not.... i snored and woke her up a few times.... i never noticed anything .

So the plan for today is to work on lungs over a long time but not stress the wife out so that she starts to cough and splutter. Low heart rate for her but constant.

Warm up
Jog 30 lengths of gym (600m)
light pipe work
light stretch/mobility

set up and start to warm up with what was to come.

EMOM 30

Odd min - Ski erg 7/11 calories (no straps)
Even min - Row 7/11 calories (no straps)

No stress and we would be done with the calories in around 40 seconds. Those 20 seconds were enough to reset that machine, dry your hands, quick drink and it was time to go again.

Wife total 210cal and myself 330cals

Felt really good and had a sweat on after that.

Core

Wife -
7x10 K2C
3x5 K2C from the rings

Myself -
6x10 T2 rings
4x5 T2bar

Wife tried the rings for the first time and was a little scared for some reason to jump and hang on, after the first set she realised there was nothing to worry about.

I did unbroken kipping T2rings working on the grip and kip as i have now done the past few weeks. I have no problem holding onto the rings and my shoulders feel great under the stress at the bottom and heaviest part of the kip. I then went over to the pull up bar for normal T2B... what a wierd feeling when the bar does not move, all the reps felts good and my use of my legs was way better.

Cool down
stretch for 15min

A good day today
Old 09-07-2018, 12:22 AM   #779
Alex Burden

Profile:

deleted it... i messed up.. see full text below

Last edited by Alex Burden : 09-07-2018 at 12:36 AM.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:32 AM   #780
Alex Burden

Profile:

Friday morning... wife was a little tired today and not 100%. This is more that she was tired in her body, general fatigue, its been a bit hard this week for her. I was going to raise her heart rate a little today to she how she feels. As for me i twisted my knee yesterday when i was moving a load of firewood and i felt it last night and woke up a couple times because of this .

Plan for today.. bring something new to the wife.

Warm up
800m jog, keep an even pace..
Shoulder warm up
General light stretch and get ready for what was to come.

Something new for the wife - Medball carry

Wife -
15 x 10m medball carry 40kgs/88lbs from box

Myself -
15 x medball Ground to over shoulder 40kg/88lbs, pick up
15 x 10m medball carry

So it worked like this... i put the medball on a 30" box so that the wife could pick the medball up in a strong position. She would then walk 10m and drop it on the floor, i would complete a G2 over shoulder with it, pick it up and walk back, put it on the box ready for her to start her next round.

Before we started i had to let the wife test grabbing the med ball and getting it in a stable position, good grip and keep her core tight. The first time she picked it up she had the thing really high and i told her.... you don't have to balance it on your boob's darling . I had her pratice at least 7-10 times just on her grip and trying to stand up with it, it was very unusual for her but once we started on the rounds she sort of found her grip and medball position that felt good. She said the last 4 or 5 rounds were best where her grip and body position felt the good.

DU/SU unbroken
Increase the rounds with 5 du/10 su after each round. If you mess up you need to start the round over again.

So the wife started on 20 SU:
went upbroken up to the round of 60, missed on the round of 70 after completing 62 reps and had to complete the round again. Now this pushed her heart rate up a bit and she started to cough. She did half of the 80 round and stopped, hard to breath she said... i thought she was smart there... take no risks.

I started on 10 Du:
For some reason i messed up 4 times on the round of 20 Duuuurrrrr, which meant i did quite a few DU's... unbroken all the way to the round of 45 and meesed up on the round of 50 @ 32.. this was at the same time the wife broke her last round so we called it a day on those.

Easy complex. 10 rounds

1 clean and jerk, 1 power clean, 1 deadlift 25/60kgs (55/132lbs)

No rush, complete 1 round together and then take a slow walk to the other side of the gym and back and then hit the next round. This felt good, no issues for either of us with the weight and the techinque.

Cool Down
stretch all over for 20min or so.

Take back from this week - wife is feeling better even if she was tired today, movements both feel and look solid. Considering this is our 4th week back i am pleased with the level we are keeping.