CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 01-25-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
Thomas Grove

Profile:
Lease and rent negotiation

I'm looking to expand from my 3200 sqft facility into a 7-8000 sqft

I'm also looking to play hardball with negotiating. What are some things you guys negotiated into the the lease? Whether its free rent, squat footage pricing, cam fees buildout etc... Please also list how long the lease term was. Thanks!
Old 01-26-2013, 07:00 AM   #2
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: Lease and rent negotiation

Honestly, anything can be negotiated into the lease, including what you've mentioned. The longer the lease(5yrs), the greater the leverage you have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Grove View Post
I'm looking to expand from my 3200 sqft facility into a 7-8000 sqft

I'm also looking to play hardball with negotiating. What are some things you guys negotiated into the the lease? Whether its free rent, squat footage pricing, cam fees buildout etc... Please also list how long the lease term was. Thanks!
Old 01-26-2013, 08:22 AM   #3
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

There are people called Tenant Representatives who do this for a living. Try to find a good one. They are paid by the landlord when the lease is signed. They will know what is standard for your area and what constitutes a good deal.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:57 PM   #4
Jeff Stanek

Profile:

I agree with finding a commercial real estate agent (not a home real estate agent). They'll know the verbage to look for in the contract and can give you fair assessments of whether you're asking for outlandish terms or not.

Agree that longer the term, the more leverage. Buildout, rent, NNN's, whatever, it's all fair game. On our first location, we got 4 months free (no rent or NNN's) and $3k in buildout, saving us thousands.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:46 PM   #5
Richard Pinelli

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Stanek View Post
I agree with finding a commercial real estate agent (not a home real estate agent). They'll know the verbage to look for in the contract and can give you fair assessments of whether you're asking for outlandish terms or not.

Agree that longer the term, the more leverage. Buildout, rent, NNN's, whatever, it's all fair game. On our first location, we got 4 months free (no rent or NNN's) and $3k in buildout, saving us thousands.
What do you mean by we got 4 months free (no rent or NNN'S). I am looking for a new place what is up with the whole NNN thing?

Thank you
Old 01-30-2013, 09:14 PM   #6
Brian Strump

Profile:

Find an agent. Even if we tell you the answer, that should still be your next step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Pinelli View Post
What do you mean by we got 4 months free (no rent or NNN'S). I am looking for a new place what is up with the whole NNN thing?

Thank you
Old 01-31-2013, 11:12 AM   #7
Greg Light

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Pinelli View Post

Thank you
NNN refers to a triple net lease. Under a triple net lease the tenant is responsible for insurance, taxes, and maintenance of the leased facility.

He negotiated into his lease that for the first four months he didn't have to pay any rent or any insurance, taxes, or maintenance.

Hope that helps.