CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-15-2011, 08:11 PM   #1
Jay Mulder

Profile:
Milk and Overdosing Vitamin D

Hello all,

A few months ago I started a thread about vitamin d supplementation helping my mood: http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=63696 (WFS). All was well, until I started adding whole milk to my diet. I've been taking 5000IU and for the past month about 1.3L (one Canadian bag) of milk a day. I am almost certain I am dealing with vitamin D overdosing. I believe I have the side effects of excessive thirst and some kidney issues. So my question is: How much IUs of vitamin D is in milk (2% and whole differ?). I am going to stop supplementation for a week or so and see how I feel, but my body definitely benefits from the correct amount of the vitamin and don't want to be ingesting too little.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:34 PM   #2
Frank E Morel

Profile:
Re: Milk and Overdosing Vitamin D

I think you need to read this

Wfs
http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/vitaminDToxicity.shtml
In 1999, Vieth indirectly asked the medical community to produce any evidence 10,000 units of vitamin D a day was toxic, saying "Throughout my preparation of this review, I was amazed at the lack of evidence supporting statements about the toxicity of moderate doses of vitamin D." He added: "If there is published evidence of toxicity in adults from an intake of 250*ug (10,000*IU) per day, and that is verified by the 25(OH)D concentration, I have yet to find it." Like most medication, cholecalciferol is certainly toxic in excess, and, like Coumadin, is used as a rodent poison for this purpose. Animal data indicates signs of toxicity can occur with ingestion of 0.5*mg/kg (20,000*IU/kg ), while the oral LD50 (the dose it takes to kill half the animals) for cholecalciferol in dogs is about 88*mg/kg, or 3,520,000*IU/kg. This would be equivalent to a 110-pound adult taking 176,000,000*IU or 440,000 of the 400 unit cholecalciferol capsules.Vieth reports human toxicity probably begins to occur after chronic daily consumption of approximately 40,000*IU/day (100 of the 400*IU capsules). Heavy sun exposure when combined with excessive supplement use is a theoretical risk for vitamin D toxicity, but if such a case has been reported, I am not aware of it.

2010 reccommendations
http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/v...ns-20101130862

But honestly..... You need to see a md to rule out something like diabetes based on those symptoms. Remember. Maybe your kidney issues is simply., the ongoing reaction to your excessive thirst.

See a md
Old 04-16-2011, 06:09 AM   #3
Zach S

Profile:

Is this cheap milk with vit d added to it? It could be a inferior form of D that could be causing it.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:19 AM   #4
Joshua Gritton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach Schul View Post
Is this cheap milk with vit d added to it? It could be a inferior form of D that could be causing it.
Makes it sound like a drug hahahaha.

Guy: "Hey man can i score some D off you?"
Dealer: "You mean some dianabol?"
Guy: "Nah man that Vitamin D"
Dealer:"Uhm.....no"
Guy: -Crushed-
Old 04-16-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Some people are hypersensitive to vitamin D more than normal.

I would get it checked and stop supplementing for now.

Fortified milk does not actually contain that much vitamin D (like 400 IU per 8oz or something like that so only 3200 IU in a gallon which is only about 1000 IU in 1.3 L).

So in reality you're getting about 6k IU total which isn't exactly in the toxicity range unless you're one of the few that is hypersensitive.

For reference you're not on the super hypersensitive side. I've seen reports of people getting into the toxicity range with 1-2k IU supplementation.

Conclusion:

1. You may be somewhat hypersensitive
2. Stop supplementing
3. Get 25-OH level checked by doc
Old 04-16-2011, 12:48 PM   #6
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Gritton View Post
Makes it sound like a drug hahahaha.

Guy: "Hey man can i score some D off you?"
Dealer: "You mean some dianabol?"
Guy: "Nah man that Vitamin D"
Dealer:"Uhm.....no"
Guy: -Crushed-
I enjoyed that!
Old 04-17-2011, 11:43 AM   #7
Jay Mulder

Profile:

Thanks for the responses all. I think I might be sensitive or it was unrelated. 3 days off supplementation and no symptoms. I will see a doctor but a recent annoyance in Canada is that the vit D test will only be ordered in special cases (at least that is what my MD claims). Also I don't think I've ever seen milk without vit D added to it. Cheers.