CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-13-2011, 06:47 AM   #1
Ben Rollin

Profile:
Concussion, take off how long?

I received a minor concussion with loss of consciouness during a rugby match on Sunday. I had a CT scan and the doctor said it was just minor. I had headaches up until yesterday, today I feel back to normal.

Safe to get back to working out? Should I start out slow with just some light jogging?
Old 04-13-2011, 09:06 AM   #2
Brent Sallee

Profile:
Re: Concussion, take off how long?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Rollin View Post
I received a minor concussion with loss of consciouness during a rugby match on Sunday. I had a CT scan and the doctor said it was just minor. I had headaches up until yesterday, today I feel back to normal.

Safe to get back to working out? Should I start out slow with just some light jogging?
No offense to your doctor, but any head trauma with a loss of consciousness is actually pretty serious. You may not be bleeding into your meninges, but you had a serious injury to the most important structure in your body. You can get back to things as soon you feel stable (no dizziness, headache, etc), but start light. Just keep in mind that even subconcussive damage is showing to be dangerous in research, reducing cognitive ability (or rather, inhibiting cognitive advance).
Old 04-14-2011, 07:45 AM   #3
Everett Steinbarger

Profile:

+1 to what Brent said.

Even mild concussions can end up being a huge problem. Your brain got damaged, it needs to rest. Studies are showing that concussions change the metabolism of the brain for a lot longer than used to be thought.

Google concussion research and the University of Pittsburgh. Lots of good info is out there.

http://www.upmc.com/Services/sportsm...-injuries.aspx
Rule #1: Crossfit. Zombies lead a very active life. So should you.

Last edited by Everett Steinbarger; 04-14-2011 at 07:52 AM.. Reason: LINK
Old 04-14-2011, 01:20 PM   #4
Daniel Dean

Profile:

I would avoid any remotely strenuous activity for at least 14 days. Loss of consciousness is serious no matter how normal your CT may have looked. Your brain is especially fragile during this healing period and a re-injury can make things much worse, like potential coma/permanent traumatic brain injury/death worse.

I know a guy who has been dealing with hellish post-concussion syndrome symptoms for years now after taking a minor bump to the head a few days after a similar sounding concussion (hockey game). Protect your head right now like your life depends on it...because it does.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:39 AM   #5
Mike Hopper

Profile:

I wish doctors would figure it out. Concussions WILL NOT show anything on CT scans, MRI, etc. A concussion is NOT a structural injury but a functional dysfunction. It is unbelievable to me how little physicians know about concussions. 90% of them are clueless about the issue. In addition, there is NO such thing as a 'minor' concussion. A brain injury is a brain injury.

With that said, you should be symptom-free for AT LEAST 72 hours before doing anything physically active. At that point, you should progress slowly starting with light aerobic activity and building each day. Resistance training should not come into play until 3-4 days after your start of physical activity.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:10 PM   #6
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

This is probably obvious to you: When you start back on exercise(that is - when totally safe), avoid anything where you hold your breath, or bear down. i.e. heavy squats, deadlifts...any max effort stuff. Also - avoid anything upside down - NO Handstand Pushups, No GHD situps.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:51 PM   #7
R B

Profile:

I would give it a while. Concussions ended my college football career. I took one in practice, didn't know I had one, kept playing and a few days later I took another one. After you feel 100%, then wait a while before reentering. Take it from me, its not worth trying to rush back.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:29 AM   #8
Michael E Tancini

Profile:

I had a guest lecture in my kinesiology class on Tuesday about concussions and the research that he does behind them and after listening to that I now realize how serious concussions are. Even mild concussions are still a brain injury and are serious. Theres no time table that we can give you when coming back. You have to be honest with yourself about how you feel. I would say wait till you feel 100% better then give it a few days after that. You can really mess yourself up if you come back too soon. Especially in a contact sport such as rugby. Take your time man. Dont rush anything. People die, lose function of simple skills such as walking/balance/ect, and can lose brain processing ability(going from A students to c or d students) by rushing back and coming back too early.