CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-27-2011, 02:43 AM   #1
Gary Hodges

Profile:
Hi everyone, First Post

This is my first post and just wanted to say hello to everyone. I have ulcerative colitis so my diet needs to be gentle, but I think I have nailed it for now - what do you think? Starting it tomorrow.

Anabolic Primal Diet

(Mon-Fri) High Fat, Low Carb

Upon Waking - Raw Green Juice, Boswellia, Probiotic + Digestive Enzymes

Meal 1 - Chicken Broth + 2 Boiled Eggs

Meal 2 - Raw Green Juice with Hemp oil + Multivitamin

Meal 3 - Chia Energy Bar (Chia Seeds, Coconut Oil and Avocado) Glutamine.

Meal 4 - Boiled Meat, 2 Boiled Eggs + Raw Green Juice

Meal 5 - Chicken Soup + Homemade mixed nut and seed butter. (All soaked and lightly boiled)

Meal 6 - Raw Fruit and Veg Juice

Meal 7 - Boiled Salmon + boiled egg

Before Bed - ZMA, Glutamine, Boswellia

(Weekends) High Carb, Low Fat

Upon Waking - Green Juice, Boswellia

Meal 1 - Chicken Broth (carrots added) + 2 Egg Whites

Meal 2 - Rice, Probiotic + Digestive Enzymes

Meal 3 - Chia Bar

Meal 4 - Raw Fruit and Veg Smoothie (Juiced)

Meal 5 - Boiled Lean meat, Sweet Potato

Meal 6 - Raw Fruit and Veg Smoothie

Meal 7 - Rice, Egg Whites + Multivitamin

Meal 8 - Chicken Soup with Raw Juiced Greens and Carrot added.

The boswellia is to heal my colitis.

Gary.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:33 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Hi everyone, First Post

Well, the good news is that you appear to be gluten-free which I'm sure your colitis appreciates. But I don't really see much fat on your "high fat" days--in fact there's none aside from what's in the meat, fish, and eggs and the little bit of seed butter. I'm not too familiar with the anabolic primal diet but my guess is there should probably be more variation between the HF/LC and the LF/HC days.

And this is just a personal preference, but eating 7-8 times a day would be very inconvenient for me in terms of time spent preparing and eating meals. The stuff about eating more often to boost your metabolism has been debunked, so there's no need to do that.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:40 AM   #3
Michael Dowling

Profile:

that diet looks exhausting and unappetizing...

i would never be able to stick to something like that for any extended period of time. all the boiled meat and raw green jiuce with hemp oil... gag...

but if it works a miracle with you i would think about giving it a shot. let us know how it works out.

Last edited by Michael Dowling; 03-27-2011 at 08:50 AM..
Old 03-27-2011, 10:10 AM   #4
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

First, welcome to the discussion boards. I've had bouts of ulcerative colitis also. The advantage to eating small amounts frequently is that you never actually stuff yourself. I am not familiar with the specific diet you are on, but, I agree that it is good that gluten is not on it. It also removes dairy and sugar. Nut and seed butter are gentle fats, as opposed to trying to eat the actual things whole. I have a few questions.
1. Are you able to add fish oil, and extra virgin olive oil? I don't mean cooking; I mean tablespoons of it.
2. Besides carrots, sweet potatoes and yams, can you have cooked spinach?

You are going to have to go by how you feel, and how your energy is. Is there a plan to add other foods back in, i.e. grassfed lamb, and beef, and wild caught fish? Ulcerative Colitis is sometimes considered an auto-immune problem, so, you might want to avoid nightshade veggies. These include: mushrooms, green peppers, eggplant, white potatoes, and tomatoes.

Good luck!
Old 03-27-2011, 05:48 PM   #5
Gary Hodges

Profile:

Thanks for the replies and I appreciate the criticism... I need to improve it.

As for eating in small meals, my gut can digest it easier - it's all about getting the nutrients and calories into my body rather than leaking through my intestine.

I do need to add some more fat on the high fat days... Will just use more oils and maybe avocados.

Lenora, I can add fish oil, maybe Krill oil if I can afford it. I will add olive oil too. As for the fruit and veg, I juice up all kinds; Spinach, cabbage, lettuce, beetroot etc. Will just juice up greens on the low carb days.

Will post an improved diet soon.

Thanks
Gary.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:55 AM   #6
Gary Hodges

Profile:
Amended Diet

I have changed my diet slightly and added more fat to the high fat days.

I have always just ate food for energy and muscle building, I don't really care about boring meals day in, day out. I just want results, I am sick of being ill and boney.

I am tiny, I stand at a massive 5ft3 and when I was 20 - I hit 140lbs of pure muscle, abs sticking out like crazy... Then I got ulcerative colitis and lost 45lbs in about 2 months. Ever since then, I have been struggling - each time I gain a few lbs of muscle, I flare up again and lose even more.

I think this diet will do the job. As I am small - I may not need as many calories as most people to gain size. Plus I should gain weight by repairing my body too. I am starting tomorrow, I don't mean to procrastinate, but I have the flu right now and am just getting over it, I also don't get paid til tomorrow.

I am a measly 105lbs right now, but at least I have no fat to burn... I am definitely in single digits of bodyfat still. Wish me luck for tomorrow

(Mon-Fri) High Fat, Low Carb

Upon Waking - Raw Green Juice, Boswellia, Probiotic + Digestive Enzymes

Meal 1 - Chicken Broth + 2 Boiled Eggs

Meal 2 - Raw Green Juice with avocado and Hemp oil + Multivitamin

Meal 3 - Chia Energy Bar (Chia Seeds, Coconut Oil and Avocado) Glutamine.

Meal 4 - Boiled Meat, 2 Boiled Eggs, Olive Oil + Raw Green Juice

Meal 5 - Chicken Soup + Homemade mixed nut and seed butter. (All soaked and lightly boiled)

Meal 6 - Raw Fruit and Veg Juice + Avocado

Meal 7 - Boiled Salmon + boiled egg with Olive Oil

(Weekends) High Carb, Low Fat

Upon Waking - Green Juice, Boswellia

Meal 1 - Chicken Broth (carrots added) + 2 Egg Whites

Meal 2 - Rice, Probiotic + Digestive Enzymes

Meal 3 - Chia Bar

Meal 4 - Raw Fruit and Veg Smoothie (Juiced)

Meal 5 - Boiled Lean meat, Sweet Potato

Meal 6 - Raw Fruit and Veg Smoothie

Meal 7 - Rice, Egg Whites + Multivitamin

Meal 8 - Chicken Soup with Raw Juiced Greens and Carrot added.

P.S. Feel free to critisize as harshly as you want, just don't be rude - I am frail lol :P

Gary.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:33 AM   #7
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

Gary, the diet doesn't look bad. You'll have to see how you feel when you are lifting heavy. Is rice part of it? You digest it ok? If you're looking for a high carb, if you can tolerate lightly sauteed plantains, you'll have a beautiful tasty carb, and very gentle.
I need to ask: Were you using any NSAIDS before you got the colitis? I'm asking because, it kicked it off for me.

Sorry to hear you have the flu. Hot water and lemon. The lemon isn't enough citrus to bother the colon. The warmth relaxes it. I assume you aren't working out till the flu is gone. Feel better on all counts!
Old 03-28-2011, 08:47 AM   #8
Gary Hodges

Profile:

Thanks for the reply.

Is plantain a complex carb? I have only recently looked into muscle glycogen and I don't know much about it, but I understand that I need complex carbs on the weekend because fructose only refills liver glycogen. I wouldn't have sweet potatoes and rice at all if it wasn't for that problem. I choose sweet potato and rice because I think they are probably the least offensive starches to do the job - I may be wrong though.

I am semi-scd diet aswell which makes me want to keep starches away as much as possible. I only eat ridiculously ripe bananas because the starch converts to sugar - If I dont, then I get serious stomach pains.

The only exercise I have been doing is a 2 mile jog on the way back from taking the kids to school and a 2 mile jog on the way to pick them up again. With the flu, it makes me feel kind of loopy lol.

As for my colitis starting, I wasn't on NSAIDS... but I stuffed my face full of all sorts of crap every hour of the day without fail... 7 slices of white bread with soup was a common meal. I also had creatine, which I don't think helped situations. My friends were starting to call me "Mini Hulk" when I was 20 and I was BUZZING from it... then bang, I was shot down and lost 4 years of training in 3 months.

I am very interested in gymnastic type training and rarely lift heavy. I have 2 25kg bags of sand which I tied together and taped up... I deadlift that and throw it about. It's a very awkward shape and gives me a good workout. Apart from that though - I don't lift really heavy things, I do about 1000 pull ups and push ups a day, hitting different angles, and probably about 300 dips a day. I also like parkour stuff but can't flip or anything due to MAJOR dizziness which I have had all my life. I will find a way to overcome this though!

Gary.

Last edited by Gary Hodges; 03-28-2011 at 08:50 AM..
Old 03-29-2011, 08:36 AM   #9
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

Gary, I believe plantains are complex carbs, not unlike bananas or potatoes. I find them easier on the colon than rice. I don't trust rice because it is a grain, and having become gluten intolerant to some degree, I just stay away from it. If for some reason you have to have a grain, if you can tolerate the fiber, steel cut oatmeal is decent, but, in small amounts. What does your doctor say about your diet? Some know more than others, but, I wouldn't mess around with colitis.
Now, you didn't ask, but...about all those pullups and dips - Do you really mean 1000? Even if you're interested in gymnastics, you don't want to risk overdoing anything. Your body's recovery is going heavily towards healing your colon. Even in perfect health, that's sounds like a lot, even in different positions and grips. You still strengthen your lower body, right? Gymnastics movements require strength in the entire body.
We've got some gymnasts who are also pretty well versed in health issues. I'm curious to see what those guys say. Do you read any of the posts in the health and injuries sections of this forum? You might find some good preventative information there. Good luck.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:50 AM   #10
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer View Post
Gary, I believe plantains are complex carbs
This is right, but as they ripen it turns to sucrose. So you wanna eat them while green.