CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-15-2011, 04:56 PM   #1
Bill Gibson

Profile:
Working out with Central Nervous System Stimulants

This seems like a potentially lethal combination, depending on the degree of stimulant you use. Coffee seems to be a popular choice for a "pre-workout" stimulant, and 5 hour energy has been advertising itself as something to help "pump you up" to get to the gym. What has your experience been with things like coffee, 5 hour energy, nitro explode, and even maybe experience with adderall and vyvanse? I have seen ads for vyvanse in mens fitness rags advertising them as a means of getting through the day and (I think even working out with)...although it seems kind of dangerous to me.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:39 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Working out with Central Nervous System Stimulants

It's a great way to get on the fast track to overreaching/overtraining because it overburdens the body with cortisol and catecholamines

But hey, people like working out with super intensity and don't listen to sound advice so.... let them do what they want
Old 03-15-2011, 10:04 PM   #3
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

There's a good bit of evidence that mild stimulants like coffee can provide a short term performance boost. Might not be a bad idea to consider them for a competition day. If you need them to get through a workout, or through the day, there's a problem you need to fix, not cover up.

The same goes double for stronger stimulants. Making your heart race before an intense metcon sounds like a really dumb idea to me, and, again, depending on stimulants suggests a problem.

Katherine
Old 03-15-2011, 10:49 PM   #4
Rick Hardin

Profile:

I like to judge their effectiveness by how crippling the migraine is after I discontinue use.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:06 PM   #5
Andrew Breyer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
It's a great way to get on the fast track to overreaching/overtraining because it overburdens the body with cortisol and catecholamines

But hey, people like working out with super intensity and don't listen to sound advice so.... let them do what they want
What are catecholamines? I searched google and from what I can decipher they have to do with the "flight or flight" response. Why would those be a bad thing to have when you train?

Have you come across any studies that have looked at that sort of a response to stimulant intake? Would the same cortisol response come from daily coffee intake? This makes me rethink my daily routine of a few cups in the morning...

Also, I'm curious.. do you drink coffee or have any sort of caffeine during the day?
Old 03-16-2011, 12:35 AM   #6
Jordan K Smith

Profile:

i used to take NO explode. the first couple of times it was awesome. eventually i definitely overtrained and got hurt. i do not take it anymore nor do i recommend it. i can get as amped up as i need without stimulants. and if not well then something is probably wrong and i should take it easy anyway.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:23 AM   #7
Christopher Paulson

Profile:

I'm an avid coffee drinker (paralegal in the Marine Corps - its part of the lifestyle). But if I have more than 2 8oz cups of coffee in the morning prior to my workout I feel empty and hollowed out unless I have a substantial meal prior. Especially if the coffee took me to the bathroom that morning before the workout or meal.

I have a strong stance against NO-Explode and similar products. I used to take them and stopped after about 3-4 months. I had a small amout prior to lifting not too long ago and felt no different than if I hadn't taken it. It's a waste of money IMO. You're better off with a solid warm up and deep stretches.

I'm beginning to think most of these supplements at GNC and stores alike are poor replacements for a proper diet.

....and now I want a cup of coffee...
Old 03-16-2011, 08:08 AM   #8
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gibson View Post
This seems like a potentially lethal combination, depending on the degree of stimulant you use. Coffee seems to be a popular choice for a "pre-workout" stimulant, and 5 hour energy has been advertising itself as something to help "pump you up" to get to the gym. What has your experience been with things like coffee, 5 hour energy, nitro explode, and even maybe experience with adderall and vyvanse? I have seen ads for vyvanse in mens fitness rags advertising them as a means of getting through the day and (I think even working out with)...although it seems kind of dangerous to me.
Some stimulants can be dangerous during metcons. I also would urge caution when one is employing the Valsalvic manouver on heavy squats, and holding ones breath for heavy deadlifts. These exercises can temporarily elevate blood pressure. Amphetamines such as Adderall can exacerbate this. I used to have a script for it, for ADD, and no longer take it. 5 hour energy is fairly gentle, as is black tea. Coffee (and adderall) increased my nausea. If one is considering competition, one might not want to take stimulants other than coffee or black tea. Someone was recently disqualified for taking Jack 3d. I would think NO explode would be even worse.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:03 PM   #9
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
There's a good bit of evidence that mild stimulants like coffee can provide a short term performance boost. Might not be a bad idea to consider them for a competition day. If you need them to get through a workout, or through the day, there's a problem you need to fix, not cover up.

The same goes double for stronger stimulants. Making your heart race before an intense metcon sounds like a really dumb idea to me, and, again, depending on stimulants suggests a problem.

Katherine
Concur with the caveat a cup of coffee is never a bad idea.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:44 AM   #10
Jean-Philippe Page

Profile:

I tried some NO-Xplode twice before doing some metcons... and both times I ended up meeting Mr

I've since never taken it again.