CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-20-2009, 12:09 PM   #1
Kevin Kenyon

Profile:
Structured Skill Development

Im trying to think of a good way to practice everything on a weekly structured system. I was wondering what some of you guys do. All the things I can think of

Muscle Ups
Overhead Squats
Double Unders
Snatch
Cleans
Pull Ups
Hand Stands
Running
Rowing

If I missed anything let me know.

I was thinking One or two disciplines each day or maybe one or two disciplines a week. I don't want to overtrain since that would be counterproductive.
Just wondering how you guys balance it. I want to compete next year but I am not part of any affiliate. Just wondering how the best train. Thanks a lot!
Old 07-20-2009, 12:16 PM   #2
Kevin Thomas

Profile:
Re: Structured Skill Development

Sounds like you want to do something like Gant Grimes's Hybrid. http://board.crossfit.com/showthread...ghlight=hybrid wfs

His program incorporated a lot of what you are looking at. He posts here still sometimes, but has an active log over on performancemenu if you decide to follow his programming model and are looking for specific pointers.

good luck,
Kevin
Old 07-22-2009, 09:40 PM   #3
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Rowing and running are probably the easiest skills of that list unless we are talking about sprinting.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:27 PM   #4
David Nittler

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
Rowing and running are probably the easiest skills of that list unless we are talking about sprinting.
I don't know, POSE running is really taking a long time for me to get down pat. I think breaking old habits might be harder than learning a completely new skill.

But then again, I've been wrong before, and I'm sure I'll be wrong again.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:18 PM   #5
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Probably, it's definitely complicated. Pullups aren't very unless we are talking about kipping PU. DU may be uncomplicated for some but I still suck at them. Actually DU are probably easier than POSE.

POSE-ish isn't too complicated the way I see coming from being a sprinter.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:54 AM   #6
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kenyon View Post
Im trying to think of a good way to practice everything on a weekly structured system. I was wondering what some of you guys do. All the things I can think of

Muscle Ups
Overhead Squats
Double Unders
Snatch
Cleans
Pull Ups
Hand Stands
Running
Rowing

If I missed anything let me know.

I was thinking One or two disciplines each day or maybe one or two disciplines a week. I don't want to overtrain since that would be counterproductive.
Just wondering how you guys balance it. I want to compete next year but I am not part of any affiliate. Just wondering how the best train. Thanks a lot!
Well the way I do skill work is to do the bulk of it prior to my WOD, or on rest days. So typically:

Warm-UP
Skill Work
WOD
Pre-hab/ (maybe more skill, depending on the WOD)

Because I love handstands I would say start working those once a week, no matter what other skills you are working, and then slowly start to work them more than once a week as you build up capacity.

Same with the oly lifts, if nothing else, ALWAYS do the Burg warm-up with PVC, but don't do it half-booty, concentrate on proper form. On days where you are specifically targeting the Oly lifts as your skill work you'll probably want to work some skill xfer exercises on top of the Burg warm-up. That's my recommendation. The skill work could be a near daily activity as long as you can recover and are resting well.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:14 AM   #7
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Practice half of those skills before your WOD, if they don't already appear in the WOD. The next day, the other half. For example, work handstands, double-unders, and rowing before an olympic lifting workout, or muscle-ups and overhead squats before Helen. Basically, try to get your form down at an intense level before getting it down in a metcon setting. The whole point of training skills during a metcon workout is that you need to feel what it's like to see your hard-earned form deteriorate as your metabolic demand increases. It's better to learn them fresh, and only later apply them in a metcon. To keep metcon power output high, you need to be moderately proficient at the movement.

The way I do it is I warm-up with the major skills that need developing, and I finish each workout with a short mixed-modal or monostructral metcon. An example:

warm-up:
1. double-unders - strive to get more consecutive double-unders than I did last time
2. ring dips - work towards 3-5 RTO dips, then seek further guidance (weighted RTOs?). Use Bulgarian dips and deep ring dips as progressions.
3. L pull-ups, L rope pull-ups or rope climbs, front lever pull-up progressions, etc.
4. clean-grip overhead squats, 3-5 rep max - these activate my muscles over a full range of motion and help to warm-up the joints for the workout to come

workout, proper:
1. snatch, 1 rm - start light to moderate, then work up towards the maximum training resistance of the day - nothing to get super-psyched up about
2. back squats, full ROM 3-5 rep max - since I am seeking to boost my olympic lifting numbers, I do these lower than parallel, but still from a low-bar position because high-bar doesn't activate my PC and causes some shooting pain in a nerve in my back.

metcon:
500m row for time - don't underestimate a monostructural metcon

Or, warm-up with HSPUs and muscle-up practice, then sprints, then rest and do the clean & jerk, then front squat 3-5 RM full ROM. Or skip the oly and do more gymnastics stuff, then a mixed-modal metcon like Fran, etc. Emphasize what's important for you - I need to work on strength and power, and I think that olympic lifting and gymnastics strength-training makes for superior athletes. Metcon and long efforts come more naturally to me, but strength takes effort.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:23 PM   #8
Jesse Kodadek

Profile:

Two things on that list are not like the others: the snatch and clean and jerk. They are much harder to learn and become proficient at than the other exercises.

I would base your workout every day on those two and add pullups and doubleunders into the warmup every day, and add a short metcon that includes the rowing, running, and pullups after your o-lift workout.

You can practice handstands anytime, anywhere. Same with running. They can be done outside gym time.

I am obviously biased, but if you focus on c&j and snatch, other things will fall into place. Any decent weightlifter can do muscle ups with just a bit of technique work. Any weightlifter can do overhead squats and pullups, too.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:35 PM   #9
Jacob Tsypkin

Profile:

Kevin,

Check out my blog www.evolveyourfitness.blogspot.com, particularly this post http://evolveyourfitness.blogspot.co...tter-part.html (both links W/F safe.) The blog is about helping intermediate CrossFitters improve, and that particular post suggests some good strategies for skill work as pertaining to your original post.

I hope it's helpful. Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!
Old 07-24-2009, 12:46 PM   #10
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Kodadek View Post
I am obviously biased, but if you focus on c&j and snatch, other things will fall into place. Any decent weightlifter can do muscle ups with just a bit of technique work. Any weightlifter can do overhead squats and pullups, too.
I totally agree. If you center your workouts on the olympic lifts, then you really only need gymnastics' pressing movements and then sprinting, rowing, etc. Oly lifters come into CF and dominate.