CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 12-22-2006, 11:20 AM   #1
Brad Davis

Profile:
OK, I'm just about ready to give up. While I've made great gains in many areas, I just can't seem to stay healthy. I've been doing this for 2 months now and I've already:

Week 1: Strained my left spinal erector
Week 4: Spasmed/strained a hamstring while running 800m
Week 7: Shoulder injury trying to learn to kip
Week 8: Middle back spasm while Christmas shopping today. Did the Pack version of Michael last night.

I've scaled the workouts, have good form, etc. CF at this point feels like a minefield loaded with mines for me to step on. I've worked out for 24 years and have probably hurt more things in the last 2 months than the other 24 years combined. I'm either too weak or stupid to navigate a program like CF successfully.

Somebody please tell me that it gets better.

Talk me back from the edge please!

DBD
Old 12-22-2006, 01:42 PM   #2
Roger Harrell

Profile:
What is your training background? I don't know your history but I would guess your training background was not complex movements and your body is possibly just not prepared for these movements yet. Start very slow. It's good to push, but the scaling up must be gradual. It's very easy to go a bit overboard when starting CF.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:57 PM   #3
Brad Davis

Profile:
Roger:

Thanks for the reply. As for background, I started lifting weights at 11 (35 now) and did that until I was 19, lots of squats, deadlifts, cleans, etc. Competed in powerlifting from 19 to 23. Lifted weights, did flexibility work, and ran on and off from 23 to 34. Started lifting more seriously about a year ago for about 4 months (+/-). Then dropped that and started doing lots of calisthenics, basically Matt Furey stuff plus lots of pullups for about 4 months. Then started CF.

DBD

(Message edited by dbradd on December 22, 2006)
Old 12-23-2006, 08:08 AM   #4
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Brad:

I've been injury prone as well. Is CF more likely to cause injury than a simple bodybuilding program? Yes, I think so. Is it so hard that you should give up? No.

You didn't specify fully when your injuries occurred so I'll give you some suggestions from my experience:

- forget for now the high rep (21-15-9) weighted exercises except where you're sure your form is perfect. That level of reps on cleans, deadlifts, etc. is a risk factor unless you take a very light weight or your form is great.

- focus on the CFWU. 3 x 15 of anything is not going to hurt you. Do it every day.

- caution on the heavy doses of pullups (beyond the CFWU) - the biggest bodybuilder in the world is not necessarily going to be able to do many pullups and there are a lot of weak links in your chain being used there: grip, elbow, shoulders. Similarly with dips. Caution beyond the CFWU.

- unless you are really inflexible, rows, wall balls, jumps, air squats, etc. using your bodyweight should be fine. Your legs and hips are built to take it.

- forget 1 rep or even 3 rep maximum weight exercises unless you've been doing them before. Make sure your form is perfect. A strained erector sounds like you compromised your lordotic arch on a lift. Get Rippetoe's Starting Strength and self-coach. If you're not used to that particular lift, lift at 10-20 reps x 2-3 sets. If you've done it before, nothing wrong with 5x5.

- at the first hint of soreness or pain, stop that exercise. You're 35 now -- like it or not, your body is losing the capacity to heal quickly.

- Begin a joint mobility program (this is where I'm lazy). Stretching is one thing but keeping your joints functional through a full range of motion is critical.

CF is physically challenging. I've had a lot of injuries and have considered whether to stop. However, I'm injury-free now based on applying the principles above. Remember that the weaknesses that allowed your injuries are going to be there if you give up CF and could surface in other situations: pickup basketball, mowing the lawn etc. With CF you are constantly working your weaknesses which as you age will be a big plus.

Old 12-24-2006, 05:26 AM   #5
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Brad

Breathe
Relax
Take a bath
Stretch
Do some yoga
Eat well
Sleep a lot
Scale down the CFWODs

It sounds to me like this is stress related. You sound to me like you are a big strong guy that's pushing too hard. It's the time of the year for you to kick back, stuff your face, have a beer, sit on the couch, spend some time with the family and relax. Get a massage.

Maybe do yourself a favor and get some coaching to clean up any technical problems and give yourself a break every other week to get a massage or something relaxing.

Old 12-24-2006, 06:39 AM   #6
Carl Herzog

Profile:
We hear it all the time but still many do not follow the advice: "The best results have come for those who've "gone through the motions" of the WOD by reducing recommended loads, reps, and sets while not endeavoring towards impressive times for a month before turning up the heat. We counsel you to establish consistency with the WOD before maximizing intensity. "

Old 12-24-2006, 07:33 AM   #7
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Hey Keith:

Can I take that advice? Sounds great to me!

See you in the New Year!

Elliot
Old 12-24-2006, 07:40 AM   #8
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Good place for me to put in my half volume week recommendation. Train full intensity for three week and then cut the volume in half during week 4. You could half the reps, time, distance...whatever makes sense. Every 12 weeks take a full week off. You will accelerate gains, give yourself time to heal, and psychologically, know that rest is coming. Everyone else has excellent suggestions, just wanted to throw this out there. By the way, your training background is impressive; you may just be pushing beyond your current limits!
Old 12-24-2006, 11:20 AM   #9
Matthew McCarty

Profile:
Invest in a good warmup program. Like Magnificent Mobility or the like. You may have some severe weaknesses that may be causing you to be more injury prone.

Everything you mentioned looks to be related to hitting it too hard without being primed for it yet.

But also the things you mentioned don't seem too serious -- more like injuries that can be managed with a different approach to the WOD.
Old 12-24-2006, 05:02 PM   #10
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
Hey Keith:
I also like that advice. But then again you did tell me I need 2 rest days a week!

See you later in the week!