CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-26-2009, 08:05 PM   #1
Luke McGruer

Profile:
Major Study

Hey Team,
My names Luke McGruer, im a Physical Trainer for the New Zealand Army.
next year ill be doing a "Major Study" on "will CrossFit type training improve VO2 MAX?" Does anyone know of any studys or reputable articles on the study of CrossFit or the power endurance type activity?

Cheers Guys!
Old 07-26-2009, 08:57 PM   #2
Jacob Tsypkin

Profile:
Re: Major Study

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke McGruer View Post
Hey Team,
next year ill be doing a "Major Study" on "will CrossFit type training improve VO2 MAX?" Does anyone know of any studys or reputable articles on the study of CrossFit or the power endurance type activity?

Cheers Guys!
Luke,

Your best bet is probably to get in touch with someone at CrossFit HQ. Not sure who exactly...maybe one of the administrators/moderators can point you in the right direction.

Good luck!
Old 07-26-2009, 09:22 PM   #3
Brian Gee

Profile:

Finding studies on "crossfit type" training might be hard to find considering crossfit is just the brand name. You might want to look in to High Intensity Training or any GPP program effects on Vo2 max just to broaden your scope and leave it a little less specific.
Old 07-26-2009, 10:31 PM   #4
Stanley Walter

Profile:

If you use it the right way, sure it will.

Any kind of training will improve your V02max if done correctly.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:41 AM   #5
Rene Forestier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke McGruer View Post
Hey Team,

Cheers Guys!
If you simply lose weight your VO2 max will improve by definition. This is just one reason why Coach G. does not have much use for it. He often spoke of using a "VO2 min"...the ability to use a minimum amount of O2 for a task (eg. a firefighter on SCBA with a finite amount of air).
Old 07-27-2009, 08:26 AM   #6
Ryan Whitley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene Forestier View Post
If you simply lose weight your VO2 max will improve by definition. This is just one reason why Coach G. does not have much use for it. He often spoke of using a "VO2 min"...the ability to use a minimum amount of O2 for a task (eg. a firefighter on SCBA with a finite amount of air).
This can be overcome by using the cubed root of the squared bodyweight mass rather than just using the bodyweight mass.

Or you can measure VO2 max in units of liters/minute rather than milliliters/kilogram of bodyweight. This would result in an absolute VO2 max rather than a relative VO2 max.

I guess it is a useful measurement for comparing athletes. But I always thought that you could just see which athlete crossed the finish line first and get a pretty good idea of how fit they are.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:32 AM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Whitley View Post
This can be overcome by using the cubed root of the squared bodyweight mass rather than just using the bodyweight mass.

Or you can measure VO2 max in units of liters/minute rather than milliliters/kilogram of bodyweight. This would result in an absolute VO2 max rather than a relative VO2 max.

I guess it is a useful measurement for comparing athletes. But I always thought that you could just see which athlete crossed the finish line first and get a pretty good idea of how fit they are.
Lac threshold correlates more with who finishes better in endurance races than Vo2max...
Old 07-27-2009, 09:50 AM   #8
Stanley Walter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Lac threshold correlates more with who finishes better in endurance races than Vo2max...
True.

But V02max can still play a role. Especially for high exertion, short recovery type activities.
Old 07-27-2009, 01:57 PM   #9
Ryan Whitley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Since the LT is reached at about 80% of the VO2 max (according to some references) in elite endurance athletes, it is fair to say that LT and VO2 max are not independent of each other and an increase in one usually corresponds to an increase in the other.

But I get what you're saying...
Old 07-27-2009, 03:05 PM   #10
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Vo2 max in what domain? What exercise? Stationary indoor bike? Make a note in your conclusion that Vo2 max doesn't tell you somebody's performance in that activity - there's also efficiency to consider - and that performance in that activity doesn't necessarily mean broader fitness. Like has been said, it's the finish line test that matters.