CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 12-25-2006, 08:24 AM   #11
Kent Kasica

Profile:
Keith,
I"m 49 and have been doing CF since April. I come from an active and sthletic background and I have not been injured. The key for me is, as others have said, is to initially scale the workouts and listen to your body. Rest it when it tells you too.

I have made excellent progress and have established PR's in almost all areas. I would just slow it down a little.

Also I would suggest getting some good coaching if it is available to you. Jon Barba, who ran the Colorado State Patrol CF program has done some excellent O-Lifting seminars for Randy at Crossfit Denver.

Skip and Jodie at FrontRange CF have provided valuable coaching on proper lifting technique as well as excellent encouragement. Though I don't live near by I try to attend one session a week with them to learn proper technique.

I also remember what Jon Barba said about having very few injuries at the State Patrol CF Program. He said that was due to their emphasis on proper lifting technique and always respecting the weight.
Old 12-25-2006, 01:32 PM   #12
Brad Davis

Profile:
Thanks to everybody for the replies. It's great that folks like helping enough to share insight.

I've been out for a couple of days traveling for Christmas, so it'll take a little while to read through them.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:01 AM   #13
Justin Algera

Profile:
Ive recently had a problem with injuries myself...For me it was, packing on a few pounds, getting lax in my workouts, and then trying to go at the same intensity that I did before, plus starting BJJ. Ive had an injured elbow now going on 2 months, and it isnt getting any better. So I decided to take the past few weeks off and "start over" and build myself back up. Seems to be going better (elbow still bothering me) and when a certain CF site gets going, then I can be ready to hopefully go full tilt again.
Old 12-28-2006, 08:23 PM   #14
Brad Davis

Profile:
Thanks again to everybody for the replies. I'm going to implement a lot of the advice. High on my priority list are:

1. Don't do anything that'll re-injure my shoulder for at least a couple more weeks. I'm not doing anything until it feels perfect, then I'm going to start slowly.
2. Same for back, although probably not as much time. I might do some light back work in just a few days. Maybe a scaled Michael--not sure.
3. Buy Magnificent Mobility and get started on that ASAP.
4. Dropping the 21-15-9 work and ME days below 5 reps for a while. I think my body isn't ready to handle imperfect form reps yet, and I think imperfect form is probably inevitable for the 21-15-9 days. As for the <5 rep ME days, I'm not sure how I'm going to restart those. I was being extremely careful and conservative--at least I thought I was.

Thanks again.
DBD
Old 01-01-2007, 06:19 PM   #15
Dan Colson

Profile:
http://forum.brandxmartialarts.com/

check out the scaled versions of the WOD, this will give you good examples of how to scale WOD's as well. CrossFit is peculiar, to see a WOD posted it doesn't look too bad, to see a video it's impressive what experienced crossfitters can do. Train your body to move correctly before loading. I've done lot's of OLY training and when I went to the OLY cert in September I spent 1/2 the time training with PVC, and learned a ton in a safe manner. "The magic is in the movements"
Old 01-01-2007, 07:43 PM   #16
Brad Davis

Profile:
Thanks Dan. I agree that some workouts are very much harder than they look on paper!

FWIW, I've been using the BrandX scaled workouts since I realized they were there at about the end of my first week. My Problem 1, spinal erector near the end of Week 1, could've probably been prevented by scaling. Other than that, I really don't see how I could've helped myself any more in that regard than I did.

I think I have other problems that hopefully will improve. I just bought Pavel's Super Joints and have been working through the mobility drills for the last 3 days. My back is already feeling better, although that could also just be from more rest. I do think the drills have helped some, though. I have high hopes for the shoulder mobility drills. I've never done ANYTHING to work on that aspect of fitness and I suspect that's a large chunk of my problem.

Anyway--Happy New Year!
DBD
Old 01-02-2007, 08:48 AM   #17
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
FYI Brad, MM is great, but it really concentrates on hip and back. Not really much for shoulders.

There is a lot of info on the net about shoulder rehab. Most common problems are weak external rotation and imbalance between internal and external rotation flexibility and strength
Old 01-04-2007, 11:42 PM   #18
Rene Renteria

Profile:
Seems like I've been posting a bunch of T-Nation links lately. Anyway, here's a link about mobility work for the shoulders. (Eric Cressey also had a series about them some time ago.) I haven't done this routine as prescribed but have added a few of the moves to the mobility work I do now as my warmup. (I fail the shoulder flexibility tests in the article miserably.) (not work/family safe link)

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=818555

Hmmm...here're the Cressey articles:
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1153915

---
Are your sleep and diet in order? I have been having trouble feeling tweaked in various places now that my diet, sleep, and stress have gone bad in the last several months. (At least that's what I've decided is the reason.)

I agree with the advice to go slowly, even for a long time (on the order of months). No need to crash and burn.

Best,
Rene'
Old 01-04-2007, 11:48 PM   #19
Rene Renteria

Profile:
You know, the week 1, 4, and 8 injuries of your list could be related with the week 7 one being independent. How's your flexibility in the hamstrings? How are your glutes? How is your posture? Could you have some imbalances (lack of glute activation, for example, combined with tight hip flexors or hamstrings to compensate) that are causing injuries in the posterior chain? (Want some more T-Nation links that discuss that?) Do you spend all day hunched over at a desk and computer?
Old 01-05-2007, 10:25 AM   #20
Brad Davis

Profile:
Rene:

Thank you for the detailed response. I think you're onto some things here and I have some answers to questions below.

DBD

"How's your flexibility in the hamstrings? How are your glutes?"
Hamstrings are mediocre. I can touch my toes with my legs straight, but not first thing in the morning.

I don't know about my glutes. I can do a good slightly below parallel squat without problems.

"How is your posture?"
It "looks" ok, but other than that, I'm not sure. More on this below.

"Could you have some imbalances (lack of glute activation, for example, combined with tight hip flexors or hamstrings to compensate) that are causing injuries in the posterior chain?"
I don't know, but it doesn't sounds like a bad theory.

"(Want some more T-Nation links that discuss that?)"
Absolutely. They'd be greatly appeciated.

"Do you spend all day hunched over at a desk and computer?"
Big time, for the last 17-18 years counting engineering school and work. I try really hard to have good posture, keeping my back and neck relatively straight, etc., but it is VERY difficult to do consistently. Years ago when I was into powerlifting and had no trouble, I had just started engineering school--hmmm a hint of a pattern here?

As for sleep, my sleep schedule is excellent, but that's about to change when our 2nd kid will emerge in about 4 weeks! I currently sleep from 1am to 9am almost like clockwork.

I think my diet is ok, but I'm not sure. It's A LOT better than the average person, but that's not saying much. I eat about 1/3 of my calories from carbs, protein, and fat, with almost all the fat from the typically recommended nuts. I eat some high-GI carbs (almost no bread, but usually a bowl or two of something like grape nuts flakes/day with soy milk--yeah I know GN Flakes are bad, but I love them LOL), but a tiny amount by most standards. I eat a lot of low-GI fruit but probably not enough veggies. I get most of my protein from reasonably good sources, although I eat an average of 1 can of tuna/day and probably a 1/2 lb of wild-caught salmon/week, so are getting too much mercury.

(Message edited by dbradd on January 05, 2007)

(Message edited by dbradd on January 05, 2007)