CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 06-19-2006, 06:14 AM   #1
Elliot Royce

Profile:
I've done a search and have been part of some threads on this topic but wanted to get some specific advice.

I've got rotator cuff tendonitis brought on by overuse and poor form/flexibility. It started a week ago. My doctor says to just rest it, ice it and take iboprofen. I'm going to see the ART guy to see what he could do, as I had the same condition in my left shoulder (felt a bit different though) and that seemed to help. Once the pain has gone down a bit, I'll start the rehab exercises to strengthen the rotator cuffs.

In the meantime,

1) any other things I should be doing?

2) can I continue to do deadlifts and other exercises which pull the arms downward (doesn't seem to hurt)?

Thanks.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:36 PM   #2
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
Do anything you can do that doesn't hurt. You want to keep it moving with active rest in pain free ranges.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:21 PM   #3
Kent Kasica

Profile:
I used ART quite successfully on my shoulder. It is now 90% back to normal.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:05 AM   #4
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Thanks guys. I had a worse case of rotator cuff tendonitis on the left side and a combination of PT exercises (with the band) and the ART has cured it.

The right shoulder is getting better. I saw the ART guy yesterday.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:08 PM   #5
Sage Burgener

Profile:
What is ART?
Old 06-23-2006, 05:22 AM   #6
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Sage:

Just responded to your other post. Active Release Technique (www.activerelease.com). It's deep, assisted stretching. Basically, the therapist will press hard on your muscle fibers while you move the body part through a range of motion. This breaks up scar tissue and adhesions and trigger points. I find it much more effective than massage.
Old 06-23-2006, 05:55 AM   #7
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Sage,
Your dad has been pretty happy with the help I've given him. I perform a therapy known as Primal Reflex Release Technique (www.thePRRT.com) that I believe would really help you out. If you'd like for me to help you find a practitioner in your area, email or PM me off-list. There's a lot of these practitioners in California because that's where it started.

The reason it isn't going away is likely due to the nervous system maintaining upregulated (ie. too "tight") muscles and reflex loops around the shoulder. All the massage and ultrasound/EMS in the world isn't going to fix it if this is the problem. I have seen tendonitis disappear in one treatment (although typically it takes a couple), because once the problem is gone, the irritation/inflammation is easily dealt with by the body.
Old 06-23-2006, 07:48 AM   #8
Elliot Royce

Profile:
Garrett:

I think the underlying cause of almost all my tendonitis is too tight muscles. I think it just doesn't let the blood and lymph circulate properly around the stressed area. I found that acupuncture, besides having an analgesic element, also releases the muscle tension (it cured my severe lower back spasm in one treatment). So your approach sounds in line with my thinking and may be complementary to what I'm doing already. I could certainly use another tool to fight tendonitis!

Is there a PRRT therapist in midtown NYC?
Old 06-23-2006, 11:29 AM   #9
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Actually, for anyone interested in PRRT, email info@theprrt.com and ask for a list of the practitioners in your area. Craig or John Iams (the creator of the technique) will get back to you.

FYI, I have spent $3000+ learning this technique (Basic + Intermediate) and I have no qualms about dropping another $3000 to go to the Advanced seminar--the technique and my patients are well worth it. All of the PTs, DCs, NDs, LAc's, and LMTs (basically anyone with experience in physical medicine) that learns this technique makes it (PRRT) their first-line treatment. It can clear up so much with so little time and effort--the other techniques still have value and are often used later in the rare cases that PRRT doesn't work.

Don't forget to tell them who sent you!:happy:

(Message edited by guerilastrength on June 23, 2006)
Old 06-25-2006, 10:59 AM   #10
Elliot Royce

Profile:
I emailed them and look forward to their response.

In the meantime, anyone care to venture how long it will take before this clears up? It's been 2 weeks and I'm getting impatient. It feels a bit better but there is still pain (now mostly in the front delt) when I lift my arm overhead or rotate it back.

How long should I wait before going for a cortisone shot?