CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-20-2014, 05:50 PM   #11
Alex Thomas

Profile:
Re: Hip Abductors & Front Squat

Update:
been stretching out my inner thighs (or whatever you want to call it) and it's helping but I have to spend a lot of time stretching. which I hate, I hate stretching. I know, it's horrible and probably half of my problem. Our WOD today was 7 min AMRAP; 7 thrusters 7 kettle bell swings.
My thrusters were almost terrible and left me so disappointed. I guess I'm just going to have to keep at it and hope my hips get better.

I guess this stuff is supposed to challenge us and pick out our weak spots, huh?
Old 02-20-2014, 06:51 PM   #12
Jeff Enge

Profile:

I had the most immature squat ever when I started. There's a video out there somewhere of me almost toppling forward with thruster weoght that is less than a warm-up for me now. It is possible to fix but it takes time!

One specific piece of advice I would give is to try to work your way into whatever bottom of squat position is for you and hold it there for a few minutes a day. Work on getting deeper and holding it longer until you can do it comfortably for 10 minutes straight. This could be a long process!
Old 02-20-2014, 08:46 PM   #13
Alex Thomas

Profile:

Thanks, that is good advice. That's what I hate though, just sitting in a certain position for minutes at a time. My coach told me to hold my stretches for at least 2 minutes, that makes me cringe just thinking about it.

But I guess I'm going to have put on my big girl pants and suck it up if I want improvement.

Thank you!
Old 02-21-2014, 02:56 AM   #14
Carmen Malcolm

Profile:

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Jeff - sometimes if I hold the squat at the bottom (air squat) I end up falling over backwards. I try really hard to shift my weight to my heels but it still happens. Any idea why? I assume it's because my hip flexors are so tight?
Old 02-21-2014, 05:17 AM   #15
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Falling over backwards sounds like more of a symptom of tight hamstrings to me. Or it could be that you're trying to sit "back" too far and not sitting "down." Think closer to a front squat than a back squat might help.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:02 AM   #16
Jeff Simon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
Falling over backwards sounds like more of a symptom of tight hamstrings to me. Or it could be that you're trying to sit "back" too far and not sitting "down." Think closer to a front squat than a back squat might help.

I'm having this abductor issue on my back squats and now that I think about it, maybe I'm sitting back too far.

I do the usual knees out, chest up, weight in the heels stuff, but damn my abductors have been stressing too much.
Old 02-21-2014, 05:16 PM   #17
Shaun R Sullivan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen Malcolm View Post
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Jeff - sometimes if I hold the squat at the bottom (air squat) I end up falling over backwards. I try really hard to shift my weight to my heels but it still happens. Any idea why? I assume it's because my hip flexors are so tight?
I had a similar issue with the air squat hold. One of my coaches had me hold a plate straight out in front of me or hold a KB on my chest (goblet squat). He also had me go slightly wider in my stance which made a huge difference. With an air squat, it is hard to stay in an upright position without weight as a counter balance.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:44 PM   #18
Carmen Malcolm

Profile:

Thanks everyone for the help.