CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-22-2013, 08:17 AM   #11
Drew Cloutier

Profile:
Re: Mark Bell Power Lifters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Regan View Post
Also looks like they have a flat sole so not sure what these will accomplish.
Mark Bell is a powerlifter...Powerlifters like flat hard sole shoes for the big 3, because it puts them in a neutral position and because it gives them something hard to resist the weight they are supporting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Regan View Post
Interesting. They look really flimsy in regards to lateral support but i guess time will tell once some people get to review them.

There's not much lateral movement in squats, deadlifts and bench presses...

Some of the comments have been somewhat amusing, its similar to me saying that my dress shoes are horrible combat boots or bad for running...its not at all what they were designed for.

These shoes were made for powerlifting. Not running, box jumps, or anything...they were made for lifting (non-oly) hell even the 2 people who designed the shoes are high profile powerlifters who have nothing to do with running, so what else would you expect.

I found this bit of info elsewhere:

"I am Jesse Burdick's ex-wife...he and Mark designed these based off of all of Jesse's blown out chucks. He showed me the shoes last weekend. They are badass.....and make so much sense. The soles have special gripping that are designed specifically for applying pressure to the outside of your feet as in when squatting and deadlifting.

The material they have chosen is reinforced in a way that I can only compare to briefs. The material of one of the protoypes felt very similar to my groove briefs. They also have added padding and support and the ankle. The blow chucks out of the water. Initially I was skeptical as many are but when he showed me them my mind changed instantly....

These are for sure geared towards the powerlifting community and hydrid crossfit-power stuff Westside and Reebok have been doing. I doubt you would see many CFers wearing them outside of a strength training day.....they aren't made for all that crazy running stuff they like to do "

From another source:

"I really donít think there is a shoe that has me more excited than Reebokís new Power Shoes, they have two versions. One is a fabric version and the other is a leather version. Expect these in early 2014. Iíll try and get more images and information as they are released."

Also I found they have a low top women's version
Old 11-22-2013, 08:21 AM   #12
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Cloutier View Post
Some of the comments have been somewhat amusing, its similar to me saying that my dress shoes are horrible combat boots or bad for running...its not at all what they were designed for.

These shoes were made for powerlifting. Not running, box jumps, or anything...they were made for lifting (non-oly) hell even the 2 people who designed the shoes are high profile powerlifters who have nothing to do with running, so what else would you expect.
This is the same thing I think/say when people ask about Olympic weightlifting shoes they can wear "for WODs."
Old 11-22-2013, 08:55 AM   #13
Ben McDonald

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bell View Post
LMFAO, that's funny.

Word on the street is $70ish.
Hard to tell from the picture, but looks like suggested retail is either $80 or $90.

http://i.imgur.com/1HQCACzl.jpg WSF

Either way, too much for what we all know they are, but that CrossFit logo doesn't come cheap.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:14 AM   #14
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Its funny you mention the crossfit logo, because the other forums i've seen this shoe talk about actually point that out as a point to NOT buy the shoe, some people said they would pay extra to have the name removed or that they would sharpie it.

I honestly think that by having CROSSFIT on the shoe, they are not aiming this shoe for hardcore powerlifters. Just because a popular view of crossfit in that realm is very much negative (to the masses of powerlifting) they are aiming this more at crossfitters who got into the power lifts or got into strength training via crossfit and want to remain loyal to the crossfit brand but get out there and put up some good numbers on the big 3.

Just like the crossfit oly shoes aren't aimed at hardcore oly lifters, those people stick to Nike, Adidas, etc...in that trent so to do powerlifters stick with their brands (titan, Inzer, Spud Inc, Chuck taylors, Metal, etc)

Me personally i've got 3 gym shoes depending what workout I am doing:

- Nike wrestling shoes (high top, velcro at the top, super thin and flat hard bottom) use this for Deadlifts and general strength training shoes. I only wear them inside and they are great quality they will last a long time.

- Merrell Road Gloves for more metcon oriented workouts, aka if i'm lifting and running/etc non-stop this is my shoe, these take a beating as they are also my straight up running shoe as well.

- Nike Romaleos 2.0 Volt obviously any and all squatting I do gets done in these, but i've also come to like benching in them as well, because they help me get a better leg drive (crappy ankle flexibility that I am working on) because I need to keep my feet flat on the floor during bench (getting into habit for competition reasons) and obviously I use them for whenever I do oly lifts.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:11 PM   #15
Jesse Gray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Enge View Post
FYI, considering these are powerlifting shoes, they aren't designed to be run in.
Oh thanks, I thought these were designed by Mark Bell, the Ethiopian distance runner.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:25 AM   #16
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Gray View Post
Oh thanks, I thought these were designed by Mark Bell, the Ethiopian distance runner.
Considering you're the one who made a not so thought out comment (i'm being polite), about powerlifting shoes and they're suitability for running, I don't see why you're coming back like a smarta$$. Jeff gave you a straight up fact and wasn't a ***** about it.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:56 PM   #17
Jesse Gray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Cloutier View Post
Considering you're the one who made a not so thought out comment (i'm being polite), about powerlifting shoes and they're suitability for running, I don't see why you're coming back like a smarta$$. Jeff gave you a straight up fact and wasn't a ***** about it.
The irony is thick with you two...
Old 11-28-2013, 04:34 AM   #18
Jeff Enge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Gray View Post
The irony is thick with you two...
Irony? Are you sure you know what that word means?
Old 11-30-2013, 05:09 PM   #19
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Haven't seen these at ST but I do see 3 pairs of giant Reebok CF Oly lifters on the equipment rack.

Will look out for them.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:26 PM   #20
Brad Allen Jones

Profile:

Hey if he found a way to jump on the cf/Reebok money train more power to him.