CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #61
Michael R. Miller

Profile:
Re: Cal Strength Does "Regular" Grace

Sounds good 50$ money order good I don't write checks? Do we get to practice like say we throw down the challenge today and have to post it here by.....sunday or Monday?

I have no problem getting my *** handed to me I am an avg CrossFitter at best so it should be interesting I think my max DL is 415 maybe I havent pulled in months.

185 is ~45% of my 1RM do you want to do it like that where you have to pull 45% or just 185?
Old 04-19-2012, 01:20 PM   #62
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
I'm not missing any point... Lol... Oh man... MY POINT IS THAT I WAS SURPRISED THE US O-LIFTERS WHO ARE EVIDENTLY QUITE STRONG WERE NOT HANDLING WHAT IS A LOW PERCENTAGE OF THEIR 1RM MAX MORE EASILY.

Do you realize you just contradicted yourself above? You said of course I would be able to handle 30% of my 1RM indefinitely, then you said that with a light weight (which I am pretty sure 30% of 1RM is) conditioning is more important than absolute strength.

Anyway, yes, if one trains for strength endurance with a given load then they will develop it. Strength is VERY training specific, but absolute strength DOES have a significant carryover to demonstrable strength endurance with lighter loads.

That's all . See my last point above.
If it were a test of max reps at a given weight to failure, then yes of course the person with higher limit weight is going to win. That isn't the test in this case. I didn't contradict myself, they are two totally different tests, max reps to failure vs set # reps for time.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:21 PM   #63
Michael R. Miller

Profile:

Quote:
I do want to make one final point clear.

I was not bashing US O-lifting for what those guys did in the video. I merely expressed my own genuine surprise they did not crank out 135 lbs a LOT faster than they did. That is all.

For anyone who wants to try to lecture me on the intricacies of strength and endurance, please save your breath. I don't know everything, but that is one topic I am relatively well versed on...
I think most people don't realize that you genuinely don't keep track of O-lifting like we do and therefore they take it to heart.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:22 PM   #64
Jacob Tsypkin

Profile:

Quote:
...again perhaps not as our US O-lifters may be lacking in absolute strength instead relying more on technique thus blurring the whole absolute strength argument... Hmmmm..... Food for thought.
Dependent on the lifter. Jon is super efficient: his best clean is 200 from the floor, best back squat is 227, for 88%. Donny, on the other hand, has cleaned 215 (I think) from the floor, with a lifetime PR of 301 in the back squat, for 71.5%. Both lifters have cleaned more from the blocks (225 for Donny, 205 or 210 for Jon.) I don't know about other top level lifters in the U.S., but I feel confident that there isn't really a common trend of U.S. lifters being more strong or more efficient.

Note: these numbers are from memory. I could be off, but generally my memory serves me well.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:26 PM   #65
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
If you believe that, how do you explain Pat Mendes not being more competitive internationally?
I really don't know all that much about him other than name recognition, videos of some impressive lifts, and his recently being busted for PEDs. Don't think I've ever seen him actually compete at a meet, but may not have been paying attention.
Wasn't he someone who had a bit of question looming about the fact that the was video of him unofficially breaking a record, but never lifting close to it in a meet?
Old 04-19-2012, 01:28 PM   #66
Michael R. Miller

Profile:

Jon is not the strongest squatter, Glenn says they have pushed and pushed his squat and still continue to do so.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:31 PM   #67
Jacob Tsypkin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Kemper View Post
Okay, maybe clowns in the sense that they enjoy what they do and have fun with it, but not "clowns" in a negative sense by any means.
Yeah, that's what I meant.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:34 PM   #68
Eric Shuty

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael R. Miller View Post
Sounds good 50$ money order good I don't write checks? Do we get to practice like say we throw down the challenge today and have to post it here by.....sunday or Monday?

I have no problem getting my *** handed to me I am an avg CrossFitter at best so it should be interesting I think my max DL is 415 maybe I havent pulled in months.

185 is ~45% of my 1RM do you want to do it like that where you have to pull 45% or just 185?
You would lose.

I'll give you another example of max rep strength being a dominating factor even in a conditioning event. When I was in the army we would often go for platoon runs. That is no surprising. When people started to get cocky on those runs I would introduce humbling variables. For example, I had an ultra runner my platoon. He had just completed a 50k in mountainous terrain prior to this example. King ***** of endurance. When I turned the in into a firemans carry run (carrying a buddy on your back) with an individual of similar weight I instantly crushed everyone including him, despite being in the bottom half in my platoon as it pertained to endurance. Why? Because for me carrying a 220lban on my back was a mild discomfort...for them it wa hell. My vastly superior strength made his vastly greater endurance null and void. This is the kind of point that Chris is trying to make...
Old 04-19-2012, 01:35 PM   #69
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

I find it kind of funny that nobody has mentioned that 4 years ago, another California Strength lifter tried Grace for the first time!!!

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=28368 (WFS)

Donnie Shankle. He got 1:47. On page 2 of this thread Glenn Pendlay himself chimes in, clearly states Donny probably didn't even know what CF was prior to this workout, and hadn't done over 2 reps of anything in maybe a year. Fun thread.

Back then everyone thought 1:47 was a beastly time. Even if Donnie strict pressed the first 15 reps or so (lol). I think even back then he was capable of a 440+ pounds C+J, from reading Glenn's post.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:39 PM   #70
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
If you believe that, how do you explain Pat Mendes not being more competitive internationally?
He just got popped for HGH... I think a 2 year ban...

wfs
http://www.usada.org/media/sanction-mendes4162012