CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-19-2012, 11:23 AM   #41
Eric Trent Miller

Profile:
Re: Cal Strength Does "Regular" Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
possibly going to be the only man representing our country at the Olympics (I'm not sure on the status of this).
more info needed, pls? One of our locals made the women's team (holly mangold) so I'm definitely interested in this...
Old 04-19-2012, 11:26 AM   #42
Jacob Tsypkin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Trent Miller View Post
more info needed, pls? One of our locals made the women's team (holly mangold) so I'm definitely interested in this...
If Donny Shankle totals 388 at Pan Ams, and Kendrick Farris does not improve his standing total, Donny will represent the U.S. in London.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:41 AM   #43
Eric Trent Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Tsypkin View Post
If Donny Shankle totals 388 at Pan Ams, and Kendrick Farris does not improve his standing total, Donny will represent the U.S. in London.
but he won't be the only man...the team is six men, Chad Vaughn..etc?

he'll be the only 105+, but not the only man.

Last edited by Eric Trent Miller; 04-19-2012 at 11:54 AM..
Old 04-19-2012, 11:43 AM   #44
Jacob Tsypkin

Profile:

Quote:
but he won't be the only man...the team is eight men, Chad Vaughn..etc?

Donny is the second closest to the requisite total, following Kendrick. Though Chad Vaughan could theoretically come through, it seems pretty unlikely. That said, Donny will also have to have a fantastic day to secure the spot.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:52 AM   #45
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Jon didn't punch that guy in the face because that guy trains with Jon regularly, and Jon specifically asked that guy to get in his face and not let him rest.

By the way, that guy has been involved with CrossFit since 2005 and an affiliate owner since 2008.

Ya'll need to calm down. This was fun. Stop caring so much and just enjoy things for what they are. Having been there, I can tell you this: none of those guys talks trash about CrossFit, none of them claims that they're going to win the CrossFit Games, they were just having some fun and doing something different.

I can't believe the criticism I am seeing here. These guys are ELITE athletes. REAL ELITE ATHLETES, who dominate their sport. They are the best we, in America, have at their chosen sport.

Criminy - give it a rest people.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:59 AM   #46
Marcus Allen

Profile:

Quote:

Quote:
Donny is the second closest to the requisite total, following Kendrick. Though Chad Vaughan could theoretically come through, it seems pretty unlikely. That said, Donny will also have to have a fantastic day to secure the spot.
Someone more knowledgable should chime in on this, but for the Olympics I believe you had to achieve a minimum qualifying total, at a qualifying event, and between the men and women we may have had 2 or 3 that accomplished that.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:10 PM   #47
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Allen View Post
Someone more knowledgable should chime in on this, but for the Olympics I believe you had to achieve a minimum qualifying total, at a qualifying event, and between the men and women we may have had 2 or 3 that accomplished that.
That's correct, there was a very long and utterly mystifying explanation of how a country can achieve qualifying spots, I think on the SS forum. Basically, no, we don't get to send a man in every weight class, it is likely Donny will be the only one for the men assuming he makes his total and Holly M. and Sarah R. are taking the only two spots for women as far as I know (both of whom are in the same weight class).
Old 04-19-2012, 12:29 PM   #48
Jacob Tsypkin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
That's correct, there was a very long and utterly mystifying explanation of how a country can achieve qualifying spots, I think on the SS forum. Basically, no, we don't get to send a man in every weight class, it is likely Donny will be the only one for the men assuming he makes his total and Holly M. and Sarah R. are taking the only two spots for women as far as I know (both of whom are in the same weight class).
Qualifying totals and rankings after Nationals attached (W/F safe.)

Kendrick is in first by a mile. Donny is in second. Chad is closer than I thought, but he will have to up his game in a big way from what he did at Nationals to compete. We get one men's spot, and who will go is decided solely by the man who has the highest percentage of the world average in their weight class.

Chad needs 342 to overtake Kendrick, a 17kg improvement. Donny needs 388, which looks, on paper, like an 18kg improvement. But Donny went into Nationals with a bruised heel, and after not making his 3rd attempt snatch at 170, decided to play it safe on the C&J to protect the heel, making a very easy 205. Healthy and strong, I am of the opinion that he is more likely to total 388 than Chad is to total 342. Of course, this is all assuming Kendrick does not improve upon his total of 355.

Last edited by Jacob Tsypkin; 04-19-2012 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: Forgot to mention that attachments are W/F safe.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:30 PM   #49
Michael R. Miller

Profile:

Quote:

Donny is in the 105 not the 105+.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:33 PM   #50
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Qualifying totals and rankings after Nationals attached (W/F safe.)

Kendrick is in first by a mile. Donny is in second. Chad is closer than I thought, but he will have to up his game in a big way from what he did at Nationals to compete. We get one men's spot, and who will go is decided solely by the man who has the highest percentage of the world average in their weight class.

Chad needs 342 to overtake Kendrick, a 17kg improvement. Donny needs 388, which looks, on paper, like an 18kg improvement. But Donny went into Nationals with a bruised heel, and after not making his 3rd attempt snatch at 170, decided to play it safe on the C&J to protect the heel, making a very easy 205. Healthy and strong, I am of the opinion that he is more likely to total 388 than Chad is to total 342. Of course, this is all assuming Kendrick does not improve upon his total of 355.
I sure hope the coaching is better at the next event than they were at Guadalajara - that was a friggin debacle for Kendrick.