CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
Mark T Smith

Profile:
Free 1st Workout Question

I am trying to build up my client base before I affiliate this year. I run a martial arts center and I have been training some of my students and parents with some great results. Now they are wanting to bring their friends in and I was thinking of doing a buddy night WOD where they bring a friend and train with them. I wanted to see what some of you are doing for a first workout for a brand new potential client. Of course I don't want to crush them but I know they need to feel it. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:30 PM   #2
Ryan Hoegner

Profile:
Re: Free 1st Workout Question

400m row
10 pull-ups/ring rows
20 push-ups
30 sit-ups
40 airsquats
400m row
Old 03-09-2010, 05:23 PM   #3
Matthew Wade

Profile:

We use the same workout as Ryan for our free intro sessions. I believe it is from CrossFit LA, their "baseline". It is a great workout; easy to scale, easy to teach/basic movements and relatively short if scaled right for each person. This is also a great workout to re-visit after a month of training to show how far the athlete has progressed.

Matt
Old 03-09-2010, 08:48 PM   #4
ZT Burkett

Profile:

We do something very similar.

500m Row
40 Squats
30 Sit-Ups
20 Push-Ups
10 Pull-Ups

You can scale it for anyone quite easily. We typically teach the standards of the 5 "exercises" and that serves well for a warm-up. First WOD (assessment) is always free at our box. We've found that 90% of those that come through the door, do the assessment, and have their butts kicked in 5-10 minutes always come back for more.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:47 PM   #5
Becca Borawski

Profile:

That's great you guys are using the CFLA Baseline or a variation of it! It's worked well for us, so it's cool to see other people finding it useful also.

The official version is:
500m Row
40 Squats
30 Sit-Ups
20 Push-Ups
10 Pull-Ups

www.crossfitla.com -- www.modernathena.com -- www.nerdjockprincess.com
Old 03-10-2010, 10:13 AM   #6
Frederic Giraud

Profile:

Yope same here,

We start with some mobility drills, then I introduced them to the rowing as a warm up.
After I take them through a little session of back squat and ramp up to get some good 5reps going, and finnally introduce them to the ab-mat sit up and scaling versions of the push up and pull up and off they go

I have also been using the inverse work out:

500m Row
10 Pull-Ups
20 Push-Ups
30 Sit-Ups
40 Squats

I then take them through their first stretching routine if time is still available, they are not in a rush.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:00 PM   #7
Chad Cross

Profile:

Howdy. We have been using this for a while. Works pretty well.

3 rounds for time:
10 Push Press (15-45#)
15 Kettlebell swings (20-35#)
20 Box jumps (12-20")

I am interested in trying the CFLA one though.
Old 03-10-2010, 09:01 PM   #8
Matt Haxmeier

Profile:

Glad I saw this. I'm trying to put two older female relatives through their first week of crossfit workouts and it's very difficult to know which are decent wods to start with, since I'm not normally a trainer.

It's hard to get something that's a good duration, allows decent intesity, doesn't incorporate complicated movements, and won't make them so sore that they never come back.

The first workout I used was the norcal onramp workout.

200M Run
15-12-9
squat
bodyrow
pushup
200M Run

But I had to sub 200m row for the runs because they didn't want to go outside where people could see them. It took 7:30 or so and their legs were so sore that they were mad at me despite having them squat to a high bench (maybe the row). They got over the initial anger and came back for more though making me promise to go easy on them.

Then the next workout I planned was too easy. Box Jumps to 12" box (step ups), shoulder press, sdhp. Despite working on the movements for a while before, the shoulder press and sdhp were being confused and neither was being done fast enough for any effect. Both of them wanted to use a PVC instead of any weight (I offered 5,8,10lbs) so it was virtually nothing but confusion and no output.

I think the one above would have confused them too considering how confusing a shoulder press was in the heat of the workout.

So I tried this CFLA one today and it seemed to be decent...took about 8 min (squat to bench, knee pushups, ring rows) and they felt like they got a good workout. I think it will be easy to improve on their time and ROM in a month and they seemed pleased.

After a lifetime of lifting weights I was shocked that a shoulder press wasn't a little more natural movement.

Last edited by Matt Haxmeier; 03-10-2010 at 09:10 PM..
Old 03-18-2010, 09:02 AM   #9
Mark T Smith

Profile:

Thanks everyone. I have been using different variations of the body row, push up, squat sequence. with good results. The best thing is they are shredded after the first workout. Then a month later they look at the same WOD and say "that's it?" Most cut their time almost in half. It has really been great. I currently run a martial arts school and just train some of my students and their parents. I can't wait to get fully affiliated and do this full time. Thanks again.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:34 PM   #10
Nate Aye

Profile:

We use the CFLA baseline, or the Norcal intro. It just depends on the individual and how they move during the warmup/technique instruction. Most who do the CFLA baseline get absolutely crushed, but I can say the same for the Norcal WOD too. It's a tough call to make, I think we have lost potential clients because the intro workout was too tough/humbling. Maybe that's for the better? I don't know, I know I have gotten better at doing intros. Play around with it, do one that you like to do that shows the newcomer why CF is awesome. Have fun, train hard.