CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:12 PM   #1
Dolph Geurds

Profile:
mma and CrossFit

I know allot of the cf boxes are also used/shared with mma studios. What are the financial arragements like and has anyone encountered problems?
The positives are endless, I am worried about the hidden negatives!
Old 01-25-2009, 10:54 PM   #2
Eric Gustafson

Profile:
Re: mma and CrossFit

I was just about to ask the same question. A local MMA gym approached me about running a CF affiliate through them, but I want to make sure that I am doing this the right way and protecting myself. Ideally I would like to run my own LLC through them and pay them a cut. That way if I outgrown them, or out live them, I can venture off to my own box. But the main positives I am seeing is location, preexisting clientele, and a good deal of my equipment cost is cut down.

Who has experience with running an affiliate through a MMA or martial arts gym?
Old 01-26-2009, 01:32 PM   #3
Nate Aye

Profile:

Hey guys, I am midway through the process myself, we are planning on subleasing the existing weightroom of an MMA gym. We will pay a rent and we talked of giving cuts/percentages either way if clients decide to cross over. The way I see it is it works out well for bith parties, it gets people coming in the door, plus if there is an existing weightroom generally they aren't used to the full extent. So the gym owner or whomever, will end up making more money on rent vs. what the weights will make him.

Eric, where are you trying to set up? I'd like to hear how things are going, since we are basically in the same area, maybe we can share some ideas?
Old 01-26-2009, 10:14 PM   #4
Eric Gustafson

Profile:

Nate, I am looking to affiliate in the Lombard/Downers Grove area or possibly Naperville...I know there's an affiliate in Naperville, but it's a huge area. My friend Mark is running Crossfit Tri-Cities in St. Charles and they're doing great.

I got more in depth with the MMA gym for a while today and I don't think that is going to work out, they like the idea, but they are only giving me very limited times to have classes and I don't want to run things that way.

It looks like I have to keep searching for an industrial spot & a decent investor if I am going to make this work soon.

So how's your process going? Where are you looking to set up?
Old 01-26-2009, 10:53 PM   #5
Damon Stewart

Profile:

I own a box with both and I have to say the positives aren't that great. Other than being able to offer kids classes at the same time an adult Crossfit class is going on there hasn't been much of a benefit if any at all. Maybe it would have been different if I could have piggybacked off of somebody elses customer base vs developing my own. I've decided to move the Crossfit into it's own box this summer and let the MMA gym run on it's on.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:13 AM   #6
Nate Aye

Profile:

Eric, which gym were you talking too? We are going to be in the back of Xtreme Couture in Lombard. The place is huge. I just sent in my application for affiliation yesterday, we have our LLC set up and are shopping around for insurance. We are doing what we can right now since both my partner and I are in Iraq for a few more weeks. So we are hoping to get as much done here as we can.

I live in St. Charles and I got some good workouts at Mark's when I was home last, his new place is sick. Dude, if we could afford Naperville right now, we would be all over it, and the affiliate is Naperville in name, but actually in Aurora, I plan on checking his place out when I get home. Take care and good luck.

Nate