CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-19-2008, 05:38 PM   #1
Rajib Ghosh

Profile:
Ah man I need to spend more $$$

I have a bench press( cheap $120 one but gets the job done), elite rings, 300 lbs of plates, a sports authority barbell that hasn't given me any problems(bending my ***), a 20lb medicine ball and a ab wheel. But I'm currently reading 'Starting Strength' and I see that I'm missing one of the most fundamental pieces of equipment: A SQUAT RACK. I've seen the prices of these things and most of them run in the $400+ and I could get it in the coming monthgs because of my love of crossfit and new found hobby but it just hurts me; I never knew I would be wasting this much money. It's funny when you start crossfit it sounds like you dont need anything except sneakers and a pullup bar then you become more involved and you buy rings, bench, etc..I could join a gym but it defeats the purpose of the privacy and freedom of working out at home and all the $ I spent on already on my equipment to give into a globogym.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:50 PM   #2
Frank E Morel

Profile:
Re: Ah man I need to spend more $$$

wouldnt taking the subway and membership to cf nyc be cheaper?
Old 05-19-2008, 05:52 PM   #3
Mike Onghena

Profile:

I have the same dilemma. The cheapest I have found so far is Sams club which has one for $188 + shipping. Search samsclub.com for ppr200x. I'm trying to figure out if that one is any good or not. I have also found a few on ebay (new) for about $300 shipped. No luck in finding anything on craigslist in my area so far..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajib Ghosh View Post
I have a bench press( cheap $120 one but gets the job done), elite rings, 300 lbs of plates, a sports authority barbell that hasn't given me any problems(bending my ***), a 20lb medicine ball and a ab wheel. But I'm currently reading 'Starting Strength' and I see that I'm missing one of the most fundamental pieces of equipment: A SQUAT RACK. I've seen the prices of these things and most of them run in the $400+ and I could get it in the coming monthgs because of my love of crossfit and new found hobby but it just hurts me; I never knew I would be wasting this much money. It's funny when you start crossfit it sounds like you dont need anything except sneakers and a pullup bar then you become more involved and you buy rings, bench, etc..I could join a gym but it defeats the purpose of the privacy and freedom of working out at home and all the $ I spent on already on my equipment to give into a globogym.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:57 PM   #4
Rajib Ghosh

Profile:

Thanks alot i'll check it out. as for joining crossfit nyc ummm no way its $200 a month or $150 'with contract'. **** plus all that traveling for a 20 min WOD
Old 05-19-2008, 06:04 PM   #5
Victor Myers

Profile:

Ok. I'm in the same boat as you. Started crossfitting about six weeks ago and have ordered rings, twenty pound med ball and crossfit bar and bumpers. Plus I have completely cleaned out and fixed up my garage. I too could not afford a squat rack, so I took the advice from other crossfitters and got two-five gallon buckets, some 2 by 6's and some concrete and made my own home made and marginally safe squat racks. I haven't squatted heavy but I it's plenty good for 135 lbs. It's a temporary solution for about $20.

Vic
Old 05-19-2008, 06:14 PM   #6
Victor Myers

Profile:

Ok. I'm in the same boat as you. Started crossfitting about six weeks ago and have ordered rings, twenty pound med ball and crossfit bar and bumpers. Plus I have completely cleaned out and fixed up my garage. I too could not afford a squat rack, so I took the advice from other crossfitters and got two-five gallon buckets, some 2 by 6's and some concrete and made my own home made and marginally safe squat racks. I haven't squatted heavy but I it's plenty good for 135 lbs. It's a temporary solution for about $20.

Vic
Old 05-19-2008, 06:48 PM   #7
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Squat stands (you can even make these) are fine if you have a couple bumpers. Maybe even if you don't.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:54 PM   #8
Jeff Hines

Profile:

I totally know what you mean about thinking you don't need equipment but do. That was one of the cool things about crossfit when I started was that it gave the impression I didn't need any special equipment to get ripped. But as I got more involved it's like, "well sure you can use a coffee table as a box jump, but why not build a box jump"; "Sure I can sub for muscle ups, but wouldn't it be more fun to try some rings" etc...

Now 5 months in, the cool part is that you can make a majority of stuff yourself, which I thoroughly enjoy. And then for the stuff you do have to drop some big money on, it's good equipment that can you do a lot with, instead of some huge specialized piece of machinery. I hear you on the squat stands though, that's the one piece of equipment that I'd really like but keep putting off. I've thought about doin the concrete buckets method for a while, but just can't get excited about it. I'll either end up buying the sams club model or saving for the Yorks from CFSocal.

I guess what I'm saying is, I have no solution to your problem, but I sympathize completely.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:52 PM   #9
Derek Maffett

Profile:

I give complete credit to Patrick Donnelly for the initial design.

http://patrickhdonnelly.blogspot.com...djustable.html wfs

I modified this by putting a 2x4 beam behind each post, which ensures I don't overshoot the rack when putting down the bar. That actually wasn't an original idea either, but it works very nicely.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:13 PM   #10
Gregory L. Johnson

Profile:

Sandbags, a pair of rings, and running shoes. Do you really need anything else?