CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-30-2007, 09:17 AM   #1
Jake Nichols

Profile:
Last week the day after the 5k I ran some intervals and my knees felt a little sore. I went to the gym and did Diane. During the second set of DL I started to have some pretty good pain in my left knee during the negative part of the lift. I stopped at rep #9 and did the HSPUs. when I came back to the DL for set three I felt ok and was able to finish. Several hours later I was having pain. I have been doing RICE and for several days it was getting better but now I still have pain and the knee feels loose. Any advice?
Old 01-31-2007, 10:19 PM   #2
James Besenyei

Profile:
Rest, stretch gently, massage the kneecap. A particularly simple, but effective, therapy is to rub your knee cap while your sitting on the floor with your legs straight out in front of you; move the knee cap around, push gently on the sides of the knee, on the bottom of the knee cap, on top of the knee cap, then ice. Another good exercise/stretch is to stand as if you're gonna try to touch your toes but instead hold your knees with both hands and move them in unison in a clockwise and back & forth motion, then reverse direction. Knee pain is particularly difficult to diagnose, if the pain persists even after you've rested up plenty and stretched plenty you should consult a Ortho or PT. Hope this helps.

--Jim.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:24 AM   #3
Matthew Swift

Profile:
James, I agree with the icing part of your advice but given that soreness is often associated with inflamation I don't believe it wise to massage until the inflamation has settled. In any case the massage is better directed at the muscles that are tight rather than on the knee cap itself. Given what Jake has described it is possible that his quads are tight which is resulting in his patella not tracking properly, hence the knee pain.

Jake, a good way to massage your quads is through "triggering" using a tennis ball. Here is a work/family safe link

http://www.tpmassageball.com/kneepaintpt.php

here is a family/work safe link to quad stretches ...

http://www.bodyresults.com/E2patellofemoral.asp

The "knee feels loose" comment concerns me, you may have a low grade tear. I would recommend seeing a good sports physiotherapist. The physio will test your knee and refer on if you require an ortho consult.

It is good that you are resting it. Knees can be tricky. Early intevention in managing any injuries will pay dividends.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:19 AM   #4
Fiona Muxlow

Profile:
Hows your running form?
Hip torsion can often result in refered knee pain.
Seen alot when people up/down hill/stair work and always lead off the same leg.But can also be the result of poor form.Generally if you lead off the right pain will be felt in the left.
However a "loose" feeling is not a good thing,Im with Matt get it diagnosed by a pro then take it from there.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:20 PM   #5
James Besenyei

Profile:
Right on Matthew, sounds like you know a bit more on the subject than I. The first massage with ice therapy I mentioned was advice from a PT, and the second loosening technique was procured from my Ortho. And I did completely forget that by the time I was using these techniques I had relatively no inflammation remaining from my surgery. Good looking out.

--Jim.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:56 PM   #6
Matthew Swift

Profile:
Hey Jim, sorry man, I didn't mean to have a dig at your advice, I was just coming from a different angle. I had a suspicion that the things that you were doing were rehab rather than injury management. Reminds me of one of my favourite quotes from Wrigley "when two men agree ... one of them is redundant"

Fi, you just reminded me of something about knee pain and hip rotation ... tight calves (particularly soleus) can lean to your pelvis being tilted to the back which in turn pulls on your quads resulting in knee pain (very simplistic description) ... so Jake, make sure that your calves are stretched/triggered, as they will definately tighten after running.

Cheers, Matt
Old 02-01-2007, 08:40 PM   #7
Jake Nichols

Profile:
Thanks for the help. I went to the ortho yesterday because I was worried I was going to have to have surgery and did not want to miss the CF certification in N.C. He told me I had a small tear in the meniscus. He said it would most likely heal on its own if the tear was along the edge. Then he smiled and told me the deep lifts I was doing were risky but being a competitive athlete himself he understood the addiction. If he only knew. I go back in a month, I'll try to share the koolaid. Once again thank you for the comments.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:56 AM   #8
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
Jake hope the knee is doing better real soon and looking forward to meet you at the cert in March!
Old 02-02-2007, 10:39 AM   #9
James Besenyei

Profile:
Jake-- good luck with the knee, my meniscus tore completely in half and had to be surgically repaired, not a good time..so let that thing heal up, surgery is so bad.

Matt-- no worries man. I like that quote too, by the way who is Wrigley I'm not familiar with that name.

-Jim.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:59 AM   #10
Matthew Swift

Profile:
Wrigley, as in the chewing gum! It was actually a quote about business dynamics ... I think the actual quote was "When two men in business agree, one of them is redundant" but I think it has a great broader application.