CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-11-2010, 09:20 AM   #11
William A Cantrell

Profile:
Re: Help me spend $5K for mil PT program

Get your self some barbells and some bumper plates i would suggest getting like 5 "Trifector" packages (barbell bumpers 2x45,2x35,2x25,2x10, 1,1.5,2 pood kettlebells) from The Kettlebell King(WFS) They have good prices and and great shipping, a place to do some pullups (Suggest either the stud bar, or really make your own out of some plubing pipe), Some rings, Go to supply and get some extra issue duffle bags, fill them with some rubber mulch (much better than sand IMO and wont leak as much) some pvc pipe for paralettes and instruction. Have a paralette and medicine ball making party (basket ball with sand, radial tire patch). Get a couple squat stands(2 should be good) and make yourself some plyo boxes. I believe all this would cost well under 5 k spend some money on the journal, and maybe a seminar or something. Get creative!
Old 09-11-2010, 09:42 AM   #12
Mike Wright

Profile:

Believe me, I am seriously down with DIY equipment. I am not sure it would be a great idea to produce homemade basketball medicine balls to my Command Chief after he wrote me a check for $5K. Thats why I am looking at the Rogue/Again Faster option. I have to find that balance between cost effective and legitimately produced equipment. In all likelyhood, this equipment will likely stay in the base gym and be used by others.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:40 AM   #13
Casey Raiford

Profile:

With five grand and two dozen people running in a heat or three you can get a lot done. Check out Christiansfitnessfactory.com (WFS). Good military discount and excellent customer service.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:51 PM   #14
Mike Wright

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Thomas Boss View Post
BLUF: The AF has become very leery of brand-name fitness programs, taught by the overzealous and underexperienced, that eschew fitness industry standards for group fitness and result in injuries rendering formerly-healthy people non-deployable.
Its ironic that you said "overzealous and underexperienced" when the AF currently relies on a 3 hour class about the PT test to qualify PTLs to lead entire squadrons for workouts.

I have been running students of all levels of fitness (175/yr) through a functional fitness based PT program for 3 yrs and we have had 3 injuries, TOTAL. The first was a pulled hamstring from running, the second was a strained deltoid from push-ups, and the third was a twisted ankle from basketball (free-day). Functional fitness programs do not result in more injuries, they improve resiliency and better prepare Airman for combat.

The AF is coming on board with this tidal wave of change, as evidenced by the new Fitness Program AFI, 36-2905. This document talks about functional movements, skill sessions, agility, coordination, balance, combining weight lifting and conditioning, kettlebells, ropes, etc. It reads like a CrossFitter wrote it! Additionally, the AF College for Enlisted Professional Military Education (the institution responsible for the Senior NCO Academies / NCO Academies / Airman Leadership Schools), is currently developing a functional fitness based "Human Performance" module to be implemented at all levels of EPME. Recently, at the Professional Airman's Conference (PAC), the dean of EPME (a CrossFitter) joked with the Chief Master Sergeant of the AF (Chief Roy) about the "Killer Kettlebell" workout he puts him through every time he visits.

Not doubting your sources Thomas, but from my perspective, the AF is coming around to the truth that the rest of have known for some time; and it has nothing to do with yoga balls and stretch bands.
Old 09-11-2010, 04:16 PM   #15
J. Thomas Boss

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wright View Post
Believe me, I am seriously down with DIY equipment. I am not sure it would be a great idea to produce homemade basketball medicine balls to my Command Chief after he wrote me a check for $5K.
It might not be a bad idea to do a CrossFit WOD at the Jarvis Gym with the Command Chief who bestowed you with the funds in order to get an idea about what kind of equipment he likes to see the troops work out with, and then talk to the contracting office about the vendor who sold Crossfit equipment to the base...you might get a sweet deal.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:25 AM   #16
Adam Dunn

Profile:

Quote:
BLUF: The AF has become very leery of brand-name fitness programs, taught by the overzealous and underexperienced, that eschew fitness industry standards for group fitness and result in injuries rendering formerly-healthy people non-deployable.
Please don't think the AF fitness outlook is based on what Tom says here. In my neck of the AF woods we do crossfit every day, bought our equipment from rogue, and have never touched a 10lb kettlebell!
Old 09-12-2010, 10:25 AM   #17
J. Thomas Boss

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Dunn View Post
In my neck of the AF woods we do crossfit every day, bought our equipment from rogue, and have never touched a 10lb kettlebell!
AWESOME!! You and Mike need to write a CF Journal article about the results of your programs...I'd bet it'd be a fascinating and thought-provoking study!
Old 09-12-2010, 01:29 PM   #18
Mike Wright

Profile:

Are you being sarcastic?
Old 09-12-2010, 02:09 PM   #19
J. Thomas Boss

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wright View Post
Are you being sarcastic?
I live on the base that had the first CF box built inside a fitness center with AF funding. Since then, in-house boxes have sprung up on bases seemingly everywhere, to include yours, but we yet to have a groundswell movement to pressure higher-ups to adopt CF officially, like the Army and Marine Corps have experienced. I wonder why that is?
Old 09-12-2010, 02:11 PM   #20
Adam Dunn

Profile:

Quote:
AWESOME!! You and Mike need to write a CF Journal article about the results of your programs...I'd bet it'd be a fascinating and thought-provoking study!
Yea man, I think you're the one who needs to "write a CFJ article" or "do a study" or whatever on the method you recommended because I'm betting most of us on here subscribe and have read the studies that show that CF works. That's why we all do crossfit, because it works.

To the point, we recently spend ~$3K to outfit our new gym and got a custom quote from Rogue. Ended up with a R3 rack, a beater bar, a bunch of bumpers, a 1 pood kettlebell, a rogue flat bench, a 20lb med ball, a set of rogue rings, and a C2 rower. Also bought a big a$$ fan since the gym is outdoors as well as horse stall mats to cover the concrete.

Great for our needs which was 2-3 dudes training at a time max so obviously for you needing to train more peeps recommend no rower (minus $900 right there) and get more bars and weights to get everyone lifting at least. Rings are cheap and very useful, you could probably do a pullup/rack solution cheaper than the R3 if you can bolt a rack to the wall (we could not), and I'd focus on things like jump ropes, med balls, etc. that are multi-use and you can get a bunch without breaking the bank.

Anyways, Rogue had GSA pricing and they were great to work with. I've also bought from Wright and Christian's Fitness Factory for my personal garage gym and they were both great as well.

Good luck!