CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:26 AM   #21
Erik Preston

Profile:
Re: How Important is Appearance in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney Everhart View Post
I don't know about you all, but being a noob at my gym, I can talk about my recent experiences. What keeps me motivated and intent on coming back has nothing to do with my trainer's appearance but on three other things:

1. My trainer/affiliate owner is very knowledgeable and able to communicate/teach me how to do moves -- he has incredible form himself during demonstrations too.
2. Most of the clients are where I want to be physically... (I realize the trainer is paid to be in good shape, so to me the proof of the gym quality is really in the clients' appearances/performance)
3. All of the clients introduced themselves to me the first time I visited and the trainers all say hello and know my name every time I return. That makes it fun.

Just my 2 cents...

Best of luck,
Sydney
Words of wisdom...

Looking the part is great, but if you don't have the above, you're doomed, IMHO.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:38 AM   #22
Stephen Flamm

Profile:

My co-owner and I are both pretty standard-looking experienced CF male athletes (6', 185, roughly 10% bf). We have certainly benefited from looking like athletes. But as we tell our clients on a daily basis, we don't care what we or they look like, as long as they put out. The body improvements will follow. We make the effort to go hard in front of our clients when possible, too, so they know we're not just talk (this has been most beneficial with our MMA clients, who don't care too much about appearance).
Old 05-11-2009, 11:16 AM   #23
Laura Kurth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Flamm View Post
as long as they put out.
Old 05-11-2009, 12:16 PM   #24
Nate Aye

Profile:

Jamie,

If I read correctly, you said you used to weigh 242? and now you are around 198. You may not look like a fire breather, but you are living proof. A good friend said to me, "your body is your business card". I certainly don't take that as a pass to wear tight under armour and whatnot, but you get my meaning. You can tell prospective clients about yourself personally, what CrossFit has done to you and what it can do for others if they are willing to put in the work. Best of luck.

Nate
Old 05-11-2009, 12:31 PM   #25
Jerry Hobbs

Profile:

I'm new, but I'll add mt two cents. I'm 40, I've lost 50+ lbs in the last year and still shedding 1-2lbs a week. I have hair loss from a rather lengthy illness & it's finally coming back. I have an acute sensitivity to bright lights caused by therapy. ( I have pics up here on the forums) http://www.board.crossfit.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16# (WFS)

In the last 6 months I have gone from working out alone to 30+ clients and growing ( most of them hot housewives ) . Be knowledgeable, a great coach and exude leadership , the rest should come.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:15 PM   #26
Jason M Struck

Profile:

two things:

if you are talking about Gold's Gym BB training, then yes, Pendlay is totally right.

I have the opposite problem; I weigh about 155lbs. My solution is when I am showing people how to do a move, I always choose the largest object possible to demonstrate with.

For my clients, and for first time visitors, my partner (whose my opposite; football linemen 6'5" 260lbs) and I go out of our way to defy expectations. He shows the gymnastics stuff, and I lift the really heavy weight.

This doesn't solve your elevator speech problem though.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:31 PM   #27
Joseph Hsu

Profile:

While you're correct in that your image will gain/lose you sales, you also have to realize that people looking for a trainer don't necessarily want to look like an Adonis. They want to "get in shape", "lose a few pounds", "look good in jeans". They can also be intimidated by someone whose body type is unreachable to them.

Hopefully your height won't be that big of a deal...your average person can be pretty idiotic, but if they don't realize that you can't make yourself any taller, maybe they're not a client worth having.