CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-04-2009, 10:52 PM   #11
Joe Bernard

Profile:
Re: Brown Rice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leela Corman View Post
I posed a sort of similar question a couple of weeks ago about brown rice, and I'm glad to see other people wondering about it.

I just decided today to add it back into my diet occasionally, because this no-grains thing is not working for me. Since I started cutting them out while doing CrossFit regularly and dancing, I'm hungry all the time, which isn't normal for me. I don't need large portions to feel full. But, because of some chronic health issues, I've had to cut a lot of foods from my diet anyway in recent months, so it's very hard to find foods I can actually eat. No dairy. No butter. No red meat. Absolutely no sugar or honey (don't miss those, though - sugar makes me feel nauseous and weak). No soy. No gluten. I can't function on nothing but fish, vegetables, and chicken. I realize that I need the occasional brown rice or buckwheat. I think this paleo thing works better for people who don't have the kind of restrictions I have.
If you're hungry EAT MORE. eat alot of fat, that will fill you up in no time. Chug olive oil, pound nuts/nut butters, do whatever. But there is no way you can be hungry on paleo unless you are specifically trying to starve yourself. I too used to be hungry on paleo when I first started out, until I realized that the key was my fat intake. Ever since then, I've been a happy camper chowing down on tasty fat.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:39 AM   #12
Nate Aye

Profile:

RE: The China Study

Dr. T Collin Cambell's China Study has been discredited numerous times, he has been accused of misinterpreting the data in order to support his hypothesis that consuming any animal based foods increase the rate of chronic disease, but in the same breath says that the correlation between those that ate more meat and those who didn't and cancer rates was inconclusive at best. There was an interesting debate between Dr. Cambell and Dr. Loren Cordain (author of The Paleo Diet). Bottom line, there is an overwhelming amount of research out there, and a lot of researchers out there count on people not reading the fine print when they publish a study. Bottom line, Dr. Cambell is a quack, and has been disproved by Dr. Cordain, Gary Taubes, and others.

Sorry for the rant, the China Study really bugs me. If it's paleo you want to do, the get rid of the rice, if you are zoning and don't have a gluten issues and are eating clean throughout the rest of your diet, you are far ahead of the curve in terms of majority of the population.

Nate
Old 02-05-2009, 08:10 AM   #13
Jared Dame

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Durham View Post
Thanks for the input Brian.

I was thinking in moderation would probably be Ok. I'm just trying to convince (brainwash) my wife into joining me on my quest for fitness. She told me that because she’s Japanese, she wasn’t going to give up rice. So I was thinking that the alternative of Brown would be good. This whole no rice thing makes me kind of wonder though. I mean, over here, almost everyone eats a decent size bowl of (white) rice with every meal. There sure aren’t a lot of fat people walking around here. I also thought that carbs were one of the bodies’ primary sources of energy. This has me questioning certain diet paths that we, as CrossFitters, follow.
I am a pretty strict Paleo and if I go somewhere that rice is offered I do about a half cup and thats it. Moderate that intake the day before a big workout and I don't think you will have issues.

The other thing you have to think about is the blood diet idea ... most asians are A or B blood types which do better on grains than your typical European decedents.

I use to live in Yokosuka for nine years ... great place!
Old 02-05-2009, 09:07 AM   #14
Leela Corman

Profile:

Joe - Thanks for the encouragement. I'm working on it. It's hard to eat more fat when I can't eat any cheese or yogurt. I can only eat so many almonds, you know? I'm sure I'll figure out a balance soon.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:17 AM   #15
Andrew Durham

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared Dame View Post
The other thing you have to think about is the blood diet idea ... most asians are A or B blood types which do better on grains than your typical European decedents.

I use to live in Yokosuka for nine years ... great place!
Yeah my wife is A. I'm O.

Where you in the Navy?

I'm not militarty but I work on Yokosuka. I really like the area (Kanagawa). Being close to the beach (zushi/Kamakura area) here is great. Just a 10 min walk downthe street.

Again, thanks everybody for all the inputs. I'll stick with the brown rice in moderation. I mean, it will probably only be once or twice a week anyways. As hard as I'm going, I don't think much of it will stick around.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:36 AM   #16
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leela Corman View Post
Joe - Thanks for the encouragement. I'm working on it. It's hard to eat more fat when I can't eat any cheese or yogurt. I can only eat so many almonds, you know? I'm sure I'll figure out a balance soon.
Yea, almonds do get boring. I didn't fully pay attention to what I quoted you on the first time, but no butter? Ouch. At college, I cycle between almonds, walnuts, pecans, olive oil, and almond butter for fat. It does get boring, but I am able to endure it because when I go home I can get fat from the sources you mentioned you cannot. Good luck with your fat
Old 02-05-2009, 10:48 AM   #17
Laura Kurth

Profile:

How can it be hard to eat more fat?!!! Bacon, eggs, beef, skin on chicken, salmon, fish oil etc.

Even if you are a vegan you can eat a wide variety of nuts, nut oils, olive oil, coconut products (oil/butter, shredded unsweetened, milk, flour etc.), avocados etc.

What about Dark chocolate - usually has 20g fat to only 5g sugar if you are getting 85%.

Mmm all this fat talk is making me hungry
Old 02-05-2009, 10:58 AM   #18
Scott Dyck

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Stone View Post
Well I could, but that answer could really be applied to any question asked anywhere on this board and kind of eliminates the point of a "discussion" board. I polled the group because I know the general thoughts of the personnel and the education / competence of some noteworthy posters.
I couldn't agree more.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:06 AM   #19
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Durham View Post
Thanks for the input Brian.

I was thinking in moderation would probably be Ok. I'm just trying to convince (brainwash) my wife into joining me on my quest for fitness. She told me that because she’s Japanese, she wasn’t going to give up rice. So I was thinking that the alternative of Brown would be good. This whole no rice thing makes me kind of wonder though. I mean, over here, almost everyone eats a decent size bowl of (white) rice with every meal. There sure aren’t a lot of fat people walking around here. I also thought that carbs were one of the bodies’ primary sources of energy. This has me questioning certain diet paths that we, as CrossFitters, follow.
As you've observed people eating high carb diets don't necessarily get fat and that's because there's nothing inherantly fattening about carbs or any other macronutrient. What you weigh and whether or not you gain or lose weight depends almost entirely on your calorie intake; too many kcals and you gain weight too few and you lose weight.
If you're worried about white rice though and you really don't want to eat it try buckwheat (soba) noodles instead as buckwheat is a seed not a grain making it a slightly more paleo food.

As for The China Study, it's an interesting book and well worth reading but Campbell loses credibility with his ridiculous conclusion that we should all become vegans for optimal health. If you're interested the Okinawa Centenarian Study (wfs) gives a far more balanced picture of the health benefits of a high carb plant based, but not vegetarian, diet.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:09 PM   #20
Ryan Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
As you've observed people eating high carb diets don't necessarily get fat and that's because there's nothing inherantly fattening about carbs or any other macronutrient. What you weigh and whether or not you gain or lose weight depends almost entirely on your calorie intake; too many kcals and you gain weight too few and you lose weight.
That is not universally accepted as true. I for one believe its the exact opposite of truth, as do all the other Taubes followers.