CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:08 AM   #1
Nate Aye

Profile:
Subleasing an Affiliate in an MMA gym

Hi, long time lurker and information absorber,

I've read the other posts in regards to operating a CF affiliate out of an MMA gym. I'm planning on affiliating in the coming year and was recently offered the opportunity to sublease out of an MMA gym. The space is currently allocated for the weight room area of the gym, somewhere around 1200-1500 square ft. As of now it is filled with globo/ bodybuilding equipment, I explained to the owner my "vision" for the space if you will, and is more than accommodating. However, he isn't wholly familiar with the crossfit model, the minimalist approach, etc. And long story short, he seems to not want to get rid of the equipment, basically because it cost a sh** ton of money. But he understands that he will make more money from us paying rent for the space than the BB equipment is that is barely used.

I have considered putting together a proposal to show what crossfit is all about, how it would benefit his business, and how a typical crossfit gym looks/operates, and selling the point of selling off the equipment or at least storing it out of the way.

Looking for input/suggestions, and look forward to hearing what anyone has to say.

Thank you in advance,
Nate Aye
Old 12-30-2008, 10:24 PM   #2
Craig Kaufman

Profile:
Re: Subleasing an Affiliate in an MMA gym

is the gym in st. charles? are you talking about Pinnacle?
Old 12-30-2008, 11:29 PM   #3
Nate Aye

Profile:

Craig,

Sorry I should have mentioned it. I'm talking about Xtreme Couture in Lombard. Just North of 64 on Main St. Lombard.

Are you looking to train somewhere?
Old 12-30-2008, 11:53 PM   #4
Nate Aye

Profile:

Good thing I wasn't talking about Pinnacle. It's right around the corner from tri-cities crossfit's new box. Mark runs a good show there and it would tough to try and compete with him. Though the opportunity to train a group of good high school wrestlers with crossfit methods would be AWESOME!
Old 12-31-2008, 06:52 AM   #5
Craig Kaufman

Profile:

haha. yeah, thats why i was wondering because i saw your in st. charles and i knew mark just moved right across the street from that place.

i am currently training with team no ego, which is down in plainfield.
your post caught my eye because we are in the process of adding crossfit to our facility. should be opening up the doors for official business pretty soon. we have partnered up with crossfit will county and have gotten the box pretty much all set up, just need to get the business end wrapped up...

have you ever done a WOD with Mark? im wondering if we have seen each other before... I used to live in St. Charles and work out at TriCities. i havent been in there lately, but I love Mark and Jason. they got me my 1st exposure to real crossfit.

give me a call if you want to discuss anything!
Old 12-31-2008, 08:48 AM   #6
Nate Aye

Profile:

Craig, PM sent