CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-18-2015, 07:46 AM   #1
Steven Wingo

Profile:
Level 3 (CCFT) Test

I'm close to satisfying the coaching hours requirement needed to qualify to take the new Level 3--CrossFit Certified Trainer (CCFT) test. This morning I did a search for trainers and see there are not too many out there yet--less than 150 total and quite a large percentage appear to be members of the CrossFit HQ staff.

I've started reviewing the materials CrossFit has provided, which are quite voluminous. Here is a link:

https://certifications.crossfit.com/ccft/

It appears to me this test will be quite difficult based on the volume of material in the handbook, the difficulty of the Level 1 test, and the difficulty of portions of the CrossFit Online Judges' Course (those who take it each year know what I'm talking about--judging movement in real time on video is no joke).

Anyone taken this test yet? What are your perceptions about difficulty level? How long did it take for your to go through the application process before you were cleared to take the test?

I appreciate any info you can provide. I'd like to take the test once I comfortably pass the hours requirement, but am trying to gauge just how much studying I will need to do and whether I might want to go get a few other courses under my belt first (in particular the weightlifting and gymnastics courses which I tend think will be helpful in gaining the level of knowledge necessary to pass the CCFT test).
Old 01-21-2015, 09:42 AM   #2
Kevyn Piascik

Profile:
Re: Level 3 (CCFT) Test

Steven,

I just recently took my test. I passed the application process based on my 10 years of as a head strength and conditioning coach at the collegiate level. Based on my experience and qualifications (CSCS for 10 years, CrossFit L1 and CrossFit Football Certification, Olympic Weightlifting level 1 and 2), I felt I would have a good grasp on the information which would be covered.

While I thought the exam itself was definitely a good test of knowledge, and is a difficult test, I am a little suspect of the results. According to CrossFit's scoring of the exam, I scored "significantly lower than those who passed the exam" on every section. No other indication of performance was given after the exam (ie: #of questions correct/total # of questions). Prior to the exam, you are correct, very little guidance regarding study material and information is provided. What a "passing" score is considered is never outlined in any of the material, even after the exam.

I am very interested to see other responses concerning this exam to hear other peoples' experiences. I am very disappointed as I have been coaching for so many years and have attended many conferences and obtained many continuing education certifications in recent years.

Just two days before the CrossFit exam, I sat for the NSCA Tactical Strength and Conditioning-Facilitator exam, passing with an 85% (results which I obtained immediately following the test). After my immediate "score report" following the CrossFit exam, the only additional feedback I received was an email from CrossFit a few days later, stating (again) that I didn't pass, and they suggest I continue "studying the materials and retake the exam in 3 months" (paying another $250 of course). I actually had the computer at my testing center shut down and reboot due to a power surge, so I responded to the email asking if any of my answers were submitted as blank because of this issue, but I am yet to receive any response back. I still do not know if any more detailed information will be provided regarding the exam results, specifically, which areas were more lacking than others, etc. I am very frustrated, as I feel I have a very strong knowledge base already and, if anything, would have prepared more thoroughly had any direction been given in the preparation materials and study guide. Additionally, how are test takers supposed to prepare for a re-test following failure with zero guidance or feedback regarding their exam?

Not sure how much this helps you in your situation, but this was my experience so far. If I hear anything more from CrossFit, I will be sure to update you. If you have any other questions feel free to get in touch with me, best of luck with your test!

Last edited by Kevyn Piascik : 01-21-2015 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 02:34 PM   #3
Steven Wingo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevyn Piascik View Post
Steven,

I just recently took my test. I passed the application process based on my 10 years of as a head strength and conditioning coach at the collegiate level. Based on my experience and qualifications (CSCS for 10 years, CrossFit L1 and CrossFit Football Certification, Olympic Weightlifting level 1 and 2), I felt I would have a good grasp on the information which would be covered.

While I thought the exam itself was definitely a good test of knowledge, and is a difficult test, I am a little suspect of the results. According to CrossFit's scoring of the exam, I scored "significantly lower than those who passed the exam" on every section. No other indication of performance was given after the exam (ie: #of questions correct/total # of questions). Prior to the exam, you are correct, very little guidance regarding study material and information is provided. What a "passing" score is considered is never outlined in any of the material, even after the exam.

I am very interested to see other responses concerning this exam to hear other peoples' experiences. I am very disappointed as I have been coaching for so many years and have attended many conferences and obtained many continuing education certifications in recent years.

Just two days before the CrossFit exam, I sat for the NSCA Tactical Strength and Conditioning-Facilitator exam, passing with an 85% (results which I obtained immediately following the test). After my immediate "score report" following the CrossFit exam, the only additional feedback I received was an email from CrossFit a few days later, stating (again) that I didn't pass, and they suggest I continue "studying the materials and retake the exam in 3 months" (paying another $250 of course). I actually had the computer at my testing center shut down and reboot due to a power surge, so I responded to the email asking if any of my answers were submitted as blank because of this issue, but I am yet to receive any response back. I still do not know if any more detailed information will be provided regarding the exam results, specifically, which areas were more lacking than others, etc. I am very frustrated, as I feel I have a very strong knowledge base already and, if anything, would have prepared more thoroughly had any direction been given in the preparation materials and study guide. Additionally, how are test takers supposed to prepare for a re-test following failure with zero guidance or feedback regarding their exam?

Not sure how much this helps you in your situation, but this was my experience so far. If I hear anything more from CrossFit, I will be sure to update you. If you have any other questions feel free to get in touch with me, best of luck with your test!
Thanks for your response. I also posted this in the "Running a CrossFit Facility" forum and don't have any responses there yet. Let me know if you hear anything back. I'm hoping we someday see a "CCFT Review Course" we can take. There is a lot of material and it obviously is not something anyone can learn overnight. When I comfortably surpass the hours requirement, I may just go ahead and apply, study, take the exam, and see how I do. It doesn't appear a whole lot of folks are taking it or, at least if they are, they are not willing to share their experience like you have done.

Do you spend substantial time coaching at a CrossFit Box as well? Or is most of your time training athletes outside a CrossFit Box setting?

One thing I have done, since starting CrossFit, is continually watch available videos and read CrossFit Journal materials in addition to continuing to coach (I think actual coaching is an important part of the learning process). I hope that in the long run that will get me where I need to be to pass the test.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:09 AM   #4
Kevyn Piascik

Profile:

Currently I spend my time working an my CrossFit affiliate that I just opened in January. Prior to that I mostly worked with athletes from one on one to large group at the college level.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:07 AM   #5
Ann Stieglitz

Profile:

Hey Steven -

Wondering if you took the test and if so, how it went

Best, Ann
Old 07-08-2015, 03:05 PM   #6
Jordan Symonds

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevyn Piascik View Post
Steven,

I haven't read the whole thread yet... just got as far as this post, and I had the same results. Sure, I could have studied the material more... I made it halfway through the articles but was finding nothing was really new to me... and I didn't go through the videos and obviously should have. All of my categories were marked as "significantly below average". Yes, I definitely could have studied more... but I have owned my own affiliate for almost 4 years now... have kept up to date in my knowledge, taken almost every CF Course there is...and mostly know my $hit. I find it hard to believe I didn't even score average or above in at least one category.

I felt confident about a lot of my answers... some for sure were guesses, but not many. As you've stated above you scored 85% on your other exam.... I was confident I had done well enough to pass with around this kind of mark... but am also frustrated with the lack of feedback given as to the actual results.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:06 PM   #7
Brian Thurmond

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Symonds View Post
I haven't read the whole thread yet... just got as far as this post, and I had the same results. Sure, I could have studied the material more... I made it halfway through the articles but was finding nothing was really new to me... and I didn't go through the videos and obviously should have. All of my categories were marked as "significantly below average". Yes, I definitely could have studied more... but I have owned my own affiliate for almost 4 years now... have kept up to date in my knowledge, taken almost every CF Course there is...and mostly know my $hit. I find it hard to believe I didn't even score average or above in at least one category.

I felt confident about a lot of my answers... some for sure were guesses, but not many. As you've stated above you scored 85% on your other exam.... I was confident I had done well enough to pass with around this kind of mark... but am also frustrated with the lack of feedback given as to the actual results.
I took the exam for the second time today. I studied. I studied both times, but I studied more on the second time. I felt confident on the first go round, but I came up short. I took it all in stride and decided that I needed to study and review more. I did review and study and I fell short again. I only made improvement in one area.

The thing that makes this test difficult is that there is no feedback on what one missed. I took the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians for Paramedic a few years ago. The Paramedic test is infinitely harder in many different ways, but what helps is that there are question banks that you can use to study. There are only so many ways to phrase a question about diabetes. The idea is that one gets exposed to as many questions as possible. It helps. One does not have that luxury with the CCFT. The thing is that NREMT uses Pearson Vue for its testing as well. Similar format and criteria for security. It would do nothing to compromise the CCFT if there was a large question bank that exposed one to the types of things one would encounter on the CCFT. There is a finite number of questions one can ask about the squat. I am sure of it.

I will study and review more. I will go back to a level 2 course soon and ask those guys all the questions that I can remember from the test. I wrote a few down this time and last time. Hopefully the third time will be the charm.

Good-luck everyone
Old 07-30-2015, 12:11 AM   #8
Maurizio Guarrata

Profile:

Dear All,

I read all comments above and I cannot say but to be totally in the same page as all other Coaches who tried the test. I am L1/L2, Kids, and all other Certs. First in Italy and Europe as ISR Infant Swimming Resource. First italian to have concluded the SEALFIT Academy and in the process to become a SEALFIT Coach. I a in the fitness industry for ore than 30 years and have sccessfully got lots of important certs in this industry.
I had the L3 examination 1st of July after 3 months of daily studying ( at least 4 hours each day) of pdf and videos I frankly know all of them by heart!!
I failed poorly and as Steve says I was significantly lower than those who passed the exam. No other and further guidance is given. Most videos are definitely not clear enough to judge. According to what I a reading by all other Coaches who tried the test, we all would have been tested on real and in person to assess our real professional competency throughout all our career.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:59 AM   #9
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurizio Guarrata View Post
Dear All,

I read all comments above and I cannot say but to be totally in the same page as all other Coaches who tried the test. I am L1/L2, Kids, and all other Certs. First in Italy and Europe as ISR Infant Swimming Resource. First italian to have concluded the SEALFIT Academy and in the process to become a SEALFIT Coach. I a in the fitness industry for ore than 30 years and have sccessfully got lots of important certs in this industry.
I had the L3 examination 1st of July after 3 months of daily studying ( at least 4 hours each day) of pdf and videos I frankly know all of them by heart!!
I failed poorly and as Steve says I was significantly lower than those who passed the exam. No other and further guidance is given. Most videos are definitely not clear enough to judge. According to what I a reading by all other Coaches who tried the test, we all would have been tested on real and in person to assess our real professional competency throughout all our career.
Sounds like a waste of time and money with the current setup. Hate that it looks like people are tested and judged without any real direction or useful feedback.

If you want send me money and I'll give a few questions and tell you that you didn't do good enough and need to redo it again
Old 08-25-2015, 10:25 PM   #10
Matthew Batchelor

Profile:

yeah guys I had the same response after sitting the exam. I come out of the exam feeling super stoked and had time to go back and double check the answers. I have been instructing CrossFit since 2005 and have done nearly all of the seminars L1 L2 , CF kids, CF mobility, CF kettlebell, CF gymnastics and gone through all the study material. It also came back saying I scored lower in every section than everyone else. Ill just have to see how I go next round