CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-12-2009, 10:19 AM   #11
Chris Kemp

Profile:
Re: CFSB - Ask your questions here!

Shane, I didn't do much of this throughout the programming. However I did a 1000m row after maybe 1.5 cycles and dropped a couple of seconds off my PB (down to about 3:10) having done very little rowing.

Wouldn't be surprised if my 5km run time has snuck up a bit but more through lack of practice than anything else.

Cheers, kempie
Old 02-12-2009, 11:21 AM   #12
Jeff Belyeu

Profile:

Since you mentioned running.... I think the CFSB program sounds great and I started it Monday. I am trying to teach myself pose method running with vibram five fingers. I have started with a few short runs around my neighborhood, mixing in running at moderate pace and walking to either catch my breath or just keep fresh and maintain (hopefully) good form. I don't think it would be a big tax on the system, but since rest is stressed in this program, I am unsure on when/where to work on this. Would this be fine as active rest? Should I used this in place of one of the skill work times, or one of the metcons? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:25 AM   #13
Jeff Power

Profile:

Jeff(Martin),
Thanks for that, any thoughts on 5 on 2 off schedule to correspond to a work week? And could I sub in a power clean/push press instead of front squats to get more upper body work?

My stats are 5'10" 220# 42yom Squats=385 Deadlift=385 Press=185 the last time I did CFT have been playing around with SS althought not strictly. It seems to focus on the squat mostly while my weekness is the deadlift and the press. As well as sucking wind anytime I do more that 5 reps of something.

I want to work on my weaknesses (ie. powerclean/push press) as well as bring up my met-con ability.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks forall that you're doing as well as kempie and bingo and the rest of ya'll that really help us globogym reformed home gymers.

Jeff
Old 02-12-2009, 11:29 AM   #14
David Schneider

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Belyeu View Post
Since you mentioned running.... I think the CFSB program sounds great and I started it Monday. I am trying to teach myself pose method running with vibram five fingers. I have started with a few short runs around my neighborhood, mixing in running at moderate pace and walking to either catch my breath or just keep fresh and maintain (hopefully) good form. I don't think it would be a big tax on the system, but since rest is stressed in this program, I am unsure on when/where to work on this. Would this be fine as active rest? Should I used this in place of one of the skill work times, or one of the metcons? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Short jogs/runs working on POSE should be alright, as long as you're not running MARATHONS on rest days...

You could always incorporate short sprints into your metcons, they go great with heavy lifting. You could have them as a part of a couplet or triplet (e.g. Heavy power cleans & sprints) something like that.

I'm sure Kempie will have a better answer for you though...
Old 02-12-2009, 11:52 AM   #15
Fabiano Burzacca

Profile:

Kempie, thanks for the great idea, I think this thread is going to be a long living one.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:59 AM   #16
Joshua Murphy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kemp View Post

When I started this I was managed to do 12-9-6 with 300lb deads. After 2 and a bit cycles I managed 17@330 and 11@360. I'm guessing that Linda at 300 is gonna be a bit easier next time round ...

Help any?

Cheers, kempie

Perfect...thanks!

"Warp Spasm" courtesy of http://www.anne-madden.com/LeBPages/...bration21.html (WFS)
Old 02-12-2009, 01:46 PM   #17
Chris Kemp

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Belyeu View Post
Jeff B - at the stage you're in I would treat your POSE running as skill work. Also, nothing stopping you from doing run based metcons. Keep them short and sharp though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Power View Post
Jeff(Martin),
Thanks for that, any thoughts on 5 on 2 off schedule to correspond to a work week? And could I sub in a power clean/push press instead of front squats to get more upper body work?

Jeff
Jeff P - I discussed a 5 day cycle in the other thread. For me I'd ditch the ME Back Squats and do High rep BS on Monday, take Wednesday off, Thurs ME Front squats and Fri Press. Lots of short sharp metcons. Your dead and squat are good but not immense for a big unit- I really think you would be better served by sticking with the ME basics and working things like your PC and PP in your metcons.

Once again, the program is a template. If you think your goals would be better served by tweaking it a little then go for it. Just don't blame the program for not producing results if you don't do the program.

Cheers, kempie
Old 02-12-2009, 01:47 PM   #18
Justin McGinley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Schneider View Post
Short jogs/runs working on POSE should be alright, as long as you're not running MARATHONS on rest days...

You could always incorporate short sprints into your metcons, they go great with heavy lifting. You could have them as a part of a couplet or triplet (e.g. Heavy power cleans & sprints) something like that.
Sprints + heavy lifting = brutal metcon. Sounds perfect for the program.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:53 PM   #19
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I added in some tumbling work after my workout out today (I did 5 x 3 bench and 1 set of 17 and then 4 rounds of 500 meter row and 25 situps). Oh my god it was fun. I left the gym bouncing around. I know rolls are uber basic when it come to gymnastic but wow. I mean, I left the gym happy and energetic even though at several points I was absolutely beat.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:16 PM   #20
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
I added in some tumbling work after my workout out today (I did 5 x 3 bench and 1 set of 17 and then 4 rounds of 500 meter row and 25 situps). Oh my god it was fun. I left the gym bouncing around. I know rolls are uber basic when it come to gymnastic but wow. I mean, I left the gym happy and energetic even though at several points I was absolutely beat.
Are you doing ME and High rep bench? I like where your head is at Skibicki... Maybe I will throw in some bench on Thursdays, been missing it since I have been doing CFSB....

Keep us posted on how your recovery goes and how/if it effects press day. I am most interested!

-Robert