CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-03-2006, 05:19 PM   #1
Matthew Harris

Profile:  
First time poster. Main sport is road cycling. Last winter, I rode inside on a trainer, did lots of spin classes and some light weightlifting. This winter I did CF and one or two spin classes a week. Started out, I could do 3 pullups. Last week did 16. I've gained about ten pounds of muscle. Huge increases in strength. People see me and notice how much bigger I look -- not the point of this as you'll see.

Yesterday, a bunch of us went out for our first outdoor ride of the season, a 45 mile ride, and I got smoked! Could barely keep up. Hills, the old place I shined, were brutal. What happened? Is there a way to do CF and get back into bike shape, too? I'm stoked on all the other gains, feel great, etc. but I'd really thought I'd be making improvements in my biking, not struggling to keep up. Any suggestions?
Old 04-03-2006, 05:36 PM   #2
Russ Greene

Profile:

You have two choices:

1. stop evaluating your fitness solely by how well you bike and instead concentrate on all the other areas you've made improvements in. Someone who can only do 3 pullups isn't fit no matter how good he is at biking. Yes, that goes for Lance Armstrong.

2. Start biking more in addition to your regular Crossfit training. You'll have to cut back on the intensity and volume in both regular biking and Crossfit at first. As you become fitter you will become able to Crossfit hard and bike hard more often.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:48 PM   #3
Jason Billows

Profile:
Matthew,

I'd give it a little more time. It was just your first ride of the season. Once your body "remembers" some of the demands of road racing you'll probably find you'll be doing better than worse.

Even if you have fallen behind on your cycling abilities, remember that your GPP is much better and you'll probably be able to get back into top form very quickly.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:58 AM   #4
Hollis Petri

Profile:
IMHO, I'd cycle 3x a week in addition to xfit: LSD, time trial or hill ride, easy ride or intervals (depending on how your feeling that week). Drop 1 or maybe 2 xfit workouts a week (assuming your currently doing a 3/1 xfit schedule). Unless you have great recovery, get plenty of sleep, etc.

For smarter peoples takes on this subject read up on Eugene allens posts relating to this. He seems to have a great balance between his endurance sports pursuits and xfit. Plus Mark Twight for some very indepth/scientific posts on the subject.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:51 AM   #5
Matthew Harris

Profile:  
Thanks, all. I'll read up on some of those recommendations. Definitely be adding more cycle time, some easy miles and hill repeats. Hoping I'll bounce right back. I can't imagine giving up on crossfit. Not til I can knock out 20 pullups, 10 HSPUs, 60 second L-hold...
Old 04-04-2006, 08:04 AM   #6
Jennifer Conlin

Profile:
Matthew, I'm a cyclist as well. Yet have had a very different experience than you. I feel much stronger on the bike.
In my xfit workouts I keep my weightlifting lighter and keep the pace quick. I Also have to make sure I'm drinking and eating well. Make sure your taking your rest days and stay on the bike. On days that I'm riding alone I will do a shorter fast ride and then a short xfit after.
Over all rest the legs and drink!
Old 04-04-2006, 10:24 AM   #7
Matthew Harris

Profile:  
My goal this winter was to put on a little muscle, but generally I find the gym a bore. I stumbled on to crossift after reading the NY Times article, and it was just what I was looking for. It makes going to the gym a blast, and I got my weight up from 151 to 162. Judging from my belt hole, it's all muscle. I've been doing tons of pull-ups, going heavy on all the heavy days, but only getting on a spin bike a couple of times a week. I'll add back in more bike time, read up a little on what others have done, and fiddle around to see what works for me. Thanks.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:32 AM   #8
Adam Del Vecchio

Profile:
Matt, just had a thought that may or may not apply to you. I went for a mountain bike ride for the first time this season yesterday as well and had a very hard time. However I had done diane earlier in the day and my lower back was smoked. You'd be surprised how much of your power is generated from your lower back when biking. If you did diane before the ride as well this could explain your difficulties as well. Just a thought.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:22 AM   #9
Jennifer Conlin

Profile:
Matt, Amen to Adam. Cycling is a lower back workout.
Also, I would say that putting weight on is going to slow you down in the area of climbing. I spent most of the winter on rollers and doing xfit to lose weight. My weekly milage never went below 30 all winter. Now I'm back up to 50 a week. It should be a slow climb after just spinning. I sure do love riding! xfit has given me some strong hips and core!
Yea haw to cycling season!
Old 04-05-2006, 08:49 AM   #10
Chris MacFarlane

Profile:
The cycling season ended?