CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-29-2012, 12:34 AM   #1
Caine Peters

Profile:
How to Become Strong At Your Current Weight?

Hey guys bit curious on how one can maintain there weight but become stronger?

the question went through my head the other day, "Im 68kg and i see blokes my size lifting another 50% on top of what i am" how did they become so strong?

i currently rock Juggernaught Method with BBB with some bodybuilding assistance after that, droped the volume though and always main focus is my main lifts!

Im 68kg 5'9
currently main lifts (90% 1RM are)

Deadlift 120KG
Bench 86.25kg
Squat 102.5
Press 52.5

i know you gotta stick at it for a while, been lifting on off for quite some time, but really, i should be lifting more for my size before i move up on weight

any advice would be ace

thank you!
Old 12-29-2012, 12:38 AM   #2
Matt Thomas

Profile:
Re: How to Become Strong At Your Current Weight?

High frequency lifting with singles and doubles in the 90% + range.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:50 AM   #3
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

a few things to consider...

- first, are they really the same size? same weight? same height? same bodyfat? same measurments of neck, arms, waist, legs? because even though a person looks "basically" the same, if they are a few inches shorter, with a few extra pounds, and a slightly lower bodyfat, it can add up and make a big difference. be sure to compare apples to apples. you didn't mention your height? how tall are you? and what is your bodyfat? also, are they the same age? how old are you and how old are they?

- second, how are you defining strong? when you say they lift more, is it on every lift or just certain lifts? is it on 1RM or on sets of 10? do they have good form? are they using belts or wraps that you don't use? again, are you comparing apples to apples?

- third, do they take anything you don't take in the way of supplements or other substances that may be giving them an advantage? do you take any supplements? are you sure they are all natural?

- fourth, and this isn't intended to be mean, but more just as a reality check, the truth is that they aren't that strong, you are just weak. all your lifts are pretty low, and 50% more put those other guys at about normal for a person that lifts alot. so the question is are you sure you are giving it all you got? are you still making steady progress? do you make sure to get proper nutrition, sleep, recovery?

- lastly, have you asked them? instead of asking random people on a message board that don't know or see the situation, why not just go up to these people you are talking about and talk to them? find out what program they do, how they eat, what they take, etc? perhaps you will learn the reason and maybe it will help you? or maybe you will understand and decide that their route isn't for you?
Old 12-29-2012, 08:54 AM   #4
Dylan Forbes

Profile:

I've maintained the same weight since august, yet in that time my PL total has increased by 50+ KG.

For most of that time I was doing a program my coach wrote for me which involved 3x5 squats twice a week, 5x5 bench once a week and 3x3 deadlifts once a week, combined with lots of assistance work for each. I've definitely gotten stronger, lost a tiny bit of bodyfat, maintained the same weight. The program had zero cardio / conditioning.

This suited my goals perfectly and had an excellent end result.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:23 AM   #5
Chris Mason

Profile:

A blog post I made which is pertinent to this issue:

WFS - http://www.atlargenutrition.com/blog...-to-be-strong/
Old 12-29-2012, 10:32 PM   #6
Caine Peters

Profile:

read that one before thanks heaps chris!!

i ask because people always want to get stronger, the simple answer is eat more,yes you will gain weight and muscle too!

But if i can maximise what i can lift at this current weight which i know is possible due to my number i would be stocked!!!!
Old 12-29-2012, 11:20 PM   #7
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

To some extent genetics matter....I mean I can always point to guys who are my same height/weight who can beat me in running or sprinting, or who are smarter than me regardless of how much I study.

The other part of it is making sure you're doing a smart program and that you're eating and recovering enough. Eating enough doesn't mean you have to gain weight, but if you're undereating your muscles probably aren't getting what they need to rebuild after training.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:56 AM   #8
Caine Peters

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
To some extent genetics matter....I mean I can always point to guys who are my same height/weight who can beat me in running or sprinting, or who are smarter than me regardless of how much I study.

The other part of it is making sure you're doing a smart program and that you're eating and recovering enough. Eating enough doesn't mean you have to gain weight, but if you're undereating your muscles probably aren't getting what they need to rebuild after training.
good point eric!!

thats where i think it is a veryyyyyy fine line if the goal i want to achieve is needed, been down the under eating/ overtraining road NEVER AGAIN!!
Old 12-30-2012, 02:24 AM   #9
Pearse Shields

Profile:

I like lifting things, low reps, high intensity. Simple stuff works well.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:58 AM   #10
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Based on your numbers you have some room to improve without gaining weight.

Enough food

Good sleep

An appropriate program to built strength. Could be linear progression, an intermediate program like Wendler 5/3/1 or all the way to full blow Westside. You will have to figure out where you are in the training progression.

I have been making slow but steady strength gains while maintaining a 85kg body weight. I'm a very lean 85 kg.