CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 10-07-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
Jordan D Gleason

Profile:
Herniated Disc

I herniated 2 disc in my lower back. I would have to look at my MRI to get the exact herniations. PT has told me no CF it bad for your back. I have decided not to listening but to listen to my body. Any tips or concern or exercises that would strength my back ?
Gal 2:20
Old 10-08-2012, 04:47 AM   #2
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: Herniated Disc

While I don't 100% agree with the PT, just to "listen to your body" may end you up on the surgeon's table even faster. Find a PT that knows what you're doing, and can help you with rehab and allow you to return to CF. Just doing CF, and not properly rehabbing will not end well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan D Gleason View Post
I herniated 2 disc in my lower back. I would have to look at my MRI to get the exact herniations. PT has told me no CF it bad for your back. I have decided not to listening but to listen to my body. Any tips or concern or exercises that would strength my back ?
Old 10-08-2012, 01:08 PM   #3
Jordan D Gleason

Profile:

Brian, not what I was wanting to hear. Ill have to do my research and get another opinion on my back .
Old 10-08-2012, 08:44 PM   #4
Brian Strump

Profile:

That's my experience. I suppose other healthcare professionals would chime in, in agreement with me.

Alot can be done to recover fully without surgery....but doing nothing, is not it. Nor is pulling youtube videos. Or following hearsay from others regarding what worked for them for their herniated disc.

Patients tell me that all time. "I've been doing this or that for my back. My friend had the same problem and it worked for him." I always have the same smart rhetorical response; asking, if your eyesight started to get worse, and your friend had a pair of glasses they wore for their poor vision....would you borrow theirs and expect them to work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan D Gleason View Post
Brian, not what I was wanting to hear. Ill have to do my research and get another opinion on my back .
Old 10-09-2012, 11:48 AM   #5
Jordan D Gleason

Profile:

Brian,
Thanks for your suggestion. Do you know of any members who are PT's? I am seeing another orthopedic about my back and another PT for another opinion.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:42 PM   #6
Brian Strump

Profile:

My point is that with your injuries, getting properly evaluated, in person is the best avenue to take. Some surgeons would recommend conservative care(PT, Chiro, etc) for weeks or months prior to getting surgery. Some would cut you right there in the office if they could.

Rounds and rounds of epidurals is not the path I would suggest.

How far are you from Alexandria, LA? I have a good friend, and CrossFitter that's a sports chiro. Just a suggestion, even if it's under an hour, may be worth a trip. Some people are willing to drive for what works for them.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:19 AM   #7
Jordan D Gleason

Profile:

Im in Baton Rouge about 2 hours away. Would you mind PM'ing his information to me. I would love to talk to him possibly make a trip to get his input and also who would he suggest in Baton Rouge. I plan to start Dutch PT on monday. It is supposed to be a more aggressive physical therapy.
I was on the path of injection and I was considering getting another but here recently people have been dying and coming down with meningitis from back injections. Thankfully I show no signs of either.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:07 PM   #8
Tommy Dunaway

Profile:

Jordan, I'm not a PT but I do have 3 herniated disks that have plagued me for years. CF has helped the situation tremendously. I'm a Lvl 1 and feel comfortable with knowing what to do/not do, and my biggest recommendation is smart, but aggressive therapy. The worst thing I did was "baby" the condition causing more and more tightness and weakness. Eventually I eased into DLs using a trap-bar due to the inflexibility. Now regular, heavy DLs are amongst my favorite moves. PM me if you want some more specifics.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #9
Aaron Wayne Campbell

Profile:

Also herniated a disc, also saw an ortho who said no more Crossfit. Found a good PT (not a huge CF fan either, but good with back injuries). I agree agressive PT is the way to go. But be careful, you are injured, and you can definitely make it worse. I'm still recovering but hope to get back to more activity over the next few months. Be patient, it can take a long time to heal. Good luck!!!
Old 10-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #10
Tommy Dunaway

Profile:

I'll echo Aaron's comments to be smart since there is in fact an injury. Not to temper my previous statement too much, but its obviously not a quick process. Incidentally I had a chiro appt this morning (gift cert...first visit ever) and he was amazed that I'm relatively pain free considering how jacked-up my back is (along with myriad other alignment issues). I told him my hammies and glutes were loose and my abs were tight and the more active I was the better I felt.