CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-24-2010, 03:46 PM   #1
Seth Spritz

Profile:
Stud Bar: which one to buy and from which vendor and alternatives to Stud Bar

I have an 8'8" ceiling and am 5'9" and have been looking on the Stud Bar website at the small Stud Bar which shows a picture of a pullup bar with a single height setting but the description of the bar indicates two settings at 10” & 15” below the ceiling. Has anyone actually seen this bar to clarify whether or not it has one or two settings and how far they are from the ceiling?

Also, I was wondering how the service has been through studbarpullup.com (WFS) or any re-sellers of the Stud bar.

Finally, are there any recommended alternatives to the Stud Bar? I'm familiar with using galvanized pipe and fittings but would prefer welded joints over threaded fittings.

Thanks in advance for any information.

Last edited by Seth Spritz; 03-24-2010 at 03:50 PM..
Old 03-25-2010, 06:33 AM   #2
Bruce Dunaway

Profile:
Re: Stud Bar: which one to buy and from which vendor and alternatives to Stud Bar

Hey Seth

I just have purchased a pull-up bar and was debating on whether or not to get the Stud Bar. I ended up buying the Rogue P-3 pull-up system. Here is the link (WFS) http://www.roguefitness.com/store/pullup_p3.php. I have an 8 ft ceiling and I am between 5'10" and 5'11" and this worked great for me. You can mount it from the ceiling or on the wall. I mounted mine on the wall last night and it is very sturdy... it doesn't move at all while I'm kipping. You can set it for 14" or 22" away from the wall or from the ceiling. I am very pleased with the purchase and the customer service... I ordered it over the weekend and received it on Wednesday. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Bruce
Old 03-25-2010, 04:09 PM   #3
Seth Spritz

Profile:
Re: Stud Bar: which one to buy and from which vendor and alternatives to Stud Bar

Thanks for the input Bruce. I'll look again at the Rogue P-3 Pullup System. I was initially thinking that the uprights on the Rogue system would hang down too low from my 8'8 ceiling. Still, I would prefer to buy from Rogue because of their excellent customer service. I have emailed studbarpullup.com (wfs) and have found them to be very responsive to my email but wish they had a phone number to call if I feel there is a need to speak with someone about the order.

Why did you decide to hang the bar from the wall instead of from the ceiling?
Old 03-25-2010, 05:40 PM   #4
Bruce Dunaway

Profile:

I mounted it on the wall because my ceiling is exactly 8' and it would have hung down too low. The bracket itself is exactly 24" long if you want to measure down from your ceiling to see how low it actually is. If your kip real violently then you probably don't wont to mount it on the wall because you might kick the wall. So far this hasn't been an issue for me. Your ceiling is a little higher than mine so it might work for you. Also with the rogue bar if you ever want to make it longer all you have to do is buy another bracket. Hope this helps.

Bruce
Old 03-25-2010, 06:42 PM   #5
John Ramsey

Profile:

I hung my standard size stud bar outside and put it on a brick wall due to low ceiling heights and a sloped overhang. Had to use some anchors, but it is rock solid and I've had no problem with kips. I ordered from Amazon due to free shipping and am very pleased.
I normally purchase all my gear from Rogue, but thought the stud bar was a better deal than buying brackets for basically the same price and having to buy pipe for it after that.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:03 PM   #6
Adam Dunn

Profile:

Does the rougue system not come with a pipe as part of the deal?
Old 03-25-2010, 09:49 PM   #7
Jeremy Galo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ramsey View Post
I normally purchase all my gear from Rogue, but thought the stud bar was a better deal than buying brackets for basically the same price and having to buy pipe for it after that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Dunn View Post
Does the rougue system not come with a pipe as part of the deal?
The P-3 and their new P-4 pullup systems come with a pipe. It's the 30" brackets that don't.

The P-4 pullup system is like their 30" brackets in that they go out 30" away from the wall... but the P-4 can be mounted on centerline studs. The original 30" brackets required a stringer to be mounted to the wall studs as the bolt holes are on either side of the vertical post.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:59 PM   #8
Seth Spritz

Profile:

Thanks Bruce & John. My gym has hollow concrete block walls with furring strips under drywall which is a lousy substrate for mounting a pullup bar. For that reason I am leaning towards a ceiling mount over a wall mount. With a lower ceiling it looks like the small Stud Bar may be the better option. That’s too bad because it’s hard to beat Rogue for customer service. Hopefully I’ll feel the same way about Studbarpullup.com’s customer service.

John, how is your Stud Bar holding up outside?
Old 03-26-2010, 01:05 PM   #9
Ari Sherwood

Profile:

I have the Stud Bar mounted to my garage ceiling (~9+ feet) and love it. It has two mounting points and I use the upper one. I am 6' tall and have plenty of head clearance with that setting.

Had it up since last October and so far so good!

Last edited by Ari Sherwood; 03-26-2010 at 01:08 PM..
Old 03-28-2010, 05:48 PM   #10
Mario R Villaverde

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Sherwood View Post
I have the Stud Bar mounted to my garage ceiling (~9+ feet) and love it. It has two mounting points and I use the upper one. I am 6' tall and have plenty of head clearance with that setting.

Had it up since last October and so far so good!
Ari, I am looking at the Stud Bar did you cut away any of the drywall or did you mount to the drywall? Do you feel you need to add any reinforcement to the framing?