CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-06-2009, 08:47 AM   #1
Martin Brown

Profile:
Thank you Crossfit......Adventure Race Update

OK, I posted on here a few weeks ago that I had been asked to fill in on a 3 person adventure race that was going to participate in the Blue Ridge Mountain Adventure Race in Blue Ridge, GA. It was my first adventure race and I have never trained for an endurance race, and as I mentioned, I didn't know I was going to be on this team until about 4 weeks prior to the race so there wasn't really any time to do much endurance type training. The hay was already in the barn, so to speak. Pretty much all I had to fall back on was 18 months of Crossfit. Well, we ended up finishing in 4th place out of 74 teams (7 hours and 26 minutes) and qualified for Nationals which is a 24-30 hour race in October. I think we are going to give that one a shot. I'll probably need to do more endurance type work for that race but it will be in addition to Crossfit, not as a replacement to Crossfit. I think our finish is a pretty darn strong testament to Crossfit. (Albeit I CERTAINLY didn't do it alone. I had two insanely good teamates, one of which has competed in races all over the world including two Eco Challenges (14th place finish in New Zealand)......but you are only as strong as your weakest link in this race and I didn't hold us back.)
Old 04-06-2009, 09:15 AM   #2
Grant Scalf

Profile:
Re: Thank you CrossFit......Adventure Race Update

That's pretty cool. Congrats, sounds like you enjoyed it.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:25 PM   #3
Brian Stone

Profile:

Congrats! If you're up to it and think you have the details, inclination, and proficiency, this might make a great CrossFit Journal submission.

Well done! Your previous post actually prompted me to look into similar events in my area.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:22 AM   #4
Peter Lavigne

Profile:

It's always nice to read about people being able to maintain a solid level of fitness for those unexpected adventures that normally require a fair amount of training. I'm about a month out of a climb on Mount Shasta and the baseline of my fitness is Crossfit(eventhough I have been doing cardio/rucking since I found out I was going 3 months ago).
Love adventure racing, too. Wish there were more in my parts.