CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-05-2006, 08:31 PM   #1
Mike Quon

Profile:
This is an exciting time for me as I will be testing for a spot as a new recruit for one of our municipal Police Departments. I've gone through this process before so I am not totally new to it. I'll have to take a written exam and then complete the POPAT (Physical Test). The timed portion must be completed in under 4 minutes and 15 seconds. When I tested for another department last June we were required to complete a 1.5 mile run prior to the POPAT. This Dept. however does not require us to complete the run.

As you can imagine, the test is VERY anaerobic. I've been training hard the past 8 weeks using HIIT and Tabata on by exercise bike as my main form of conditioning work. Tabata being VERY high intensity for 4 minutes seems ideal.

However, should I train hard right up until the test or should I take a week off before hand? Here's a layout of the POPAT. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

http://www.ci.springfield.or.us/poli...escription.htm
Old 06-05-2006, 09:31 PM   #2
Don Stevenson

Profile:
How long have you got until the test day?

Can you simulate the test set up and events?

Practice of the test events is always very helpful in a test like this!

Definitely don't train hard right up until the test. Take atleast 2-3 full days off before hand and ease off for the 3-4 days before that.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:35 PM   #3
Mike Quon

Profile:
I've done a couple run throughs of the actual test before but that was last June. I am unable to schedule a practice run before the test date which is in two weeks.

Last time I did this I finished in 3:58 but I had to do the 1.5 mile run before hand. This time around, because there is no run to do, I plan on bettering my previous time.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:48 PM   #4
Don Stevenson

Profile:
With 2 weeks to go there is not much that can be done specifically to improve your fitness. It sounds like you've got the fitness you need and all you need to do now is taper down a bit for the test.

Keep up your regular training until a week before the test and then in the last week just take it easy. Do some light circuits of sandbag lifting, try and practice some of the stuff like vaulting over the rail etc but don;t kill yourself.

rest, stretch, eat etc and then take a couple of days off before the test.

Its easier on the day to get psyched up and go bananas if you are well rested. If you go in hurt or overtrained you'll suffer.

Good luck and let us know how you go!
Old 06-06-2006, 07:01 AM   #5
Mike Quon

Profile:
Thanks Don!
Old 06-06-2006, 09:43 PM   #6
Ian Carver

Profile:
Mike- You will do fine on the test, I have no doubts. As was mentioned above, run through the course at least once if possible. If you have done that, then just workout as usual, but make sure you ease up for a bit before the test.

In my cycling days, I would hammer workouts up until a week or so before the even I was trying to peak for. I would take couple days off completely and then do very light rides, active rest if you will. The same applies here, although maybe not for quite as long. Everyone is a bit different in how they reach their athletic peak and/or recover for a specific event. I would think 4-5 days out would be plenty for you.

Last but not least, relax and don't stress over it. Be cool and confident and you'll do waaay better than you would have guessed. I remember taking my LE physical 10 years ago, and later the SWAT and K9 tests, and how nervous I was beforehand. I calmed down enough to focus on the task at hand and smoked the courses, pleasantly surprising myself. As you will find, all of Law Enforcement is about tests - assignments, promotions, in-field decisions - it all comes back to being ultra prepared, putting 110% forward, and remaining cool and calm as best as possible. Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:25 AM   #7
Mike Quon

Profile:
Ian, I agree with what you have to say about relaxation. Last time around I found that I burned alot of energy due to pre-test jitters/anxiety. Because I've done this course twice before I'm less anxious, not cocky but I'm not going in totally blind.

Things I have going for me this time around.

1. Experience with the course
2. There's NO 1.5 mile run prior to the course test.
3. The course is in the afternoon rather than early morning.
4. The course is roughly a 4 minute test (I've been working Tabatas HARD for the past 8 weeks).
5. I haven't been doing TOO much running like I did before. I was focusing a lot on the 1.5 mile run last time.

Old 06-07-2006, 09:25 PM   #8
Ian Carver

Profile:
Right on, you'll be dialed. Let me know how you do when it's all over. Take care.